Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Ionut Biru

Default Dropping tango-icon-theme{, -extras}

On 11/22/2011 11:23 AM, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> Forwarding this to arch-general to get some developers' attention on
> this (I failed at entering the mail address the first time).
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Lukas Fleischer <archlinux@cryptocrack.de> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:17:47 +0100
> From: Lukas Fleischer <archlinux@cryptocrack.de>
> To: arch-general@archlinux, aur-general@archlinux.org
> Subject: [aur-general] Dropping tango-icon-theme{,-extras}
>
> Hi!
>
> All sources hosted at tango.freedesktop.org became inaccessible [1] a
> couple of days ago, probably due to some software upgrade on
> freedesktop.org.
>
> I contacted upstream yesterday and was told that tango-icon-theme,
> tango-icon-theme-extras and icon-naming-utils are dead and that we
> shouldn't rely on upstream sources being available (they even mentioned
> they probably won't care about the 404). It has been suggested to use
> gnome-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme-extras instead.
>
> Given that xfce4-settings seems to be the only package depending on
> tango-icon-theme, I'd suggest to:
>
> * Remove the "tango-icon-theme" dependency from xfce4-settings (this
> shouldn't break anything, does it?)

is broken from the time we remove the icon theme. Xfce is going to miss
all those icons until somebody installs a new icon theme. We have to
replace with something.

did somebody talked with xfce about this or at least with xfce maintainers?

> * Move both tango-icon-theme and tango-icon-theme-extras to
> [unsupported].
>
> * Think about what to do with icon-naming-utils. We seem to need those
> for gnome-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme-symbolic, so putting the
> source tarball on our source mirror might be the best thing to do
> (unless there's a proper alternative, of course).

gentoo distfiles are useful for something. I'll take care of
icon-naming-utils.

--
IonuČ›

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Lukas Fleischer

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:43:17AM +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 11:23 AM, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> > Forwarding this to arch-general to get some developers' attention on
> > this (I failed at entering the mail address the first time).
> >
> > ----- Forwarded message from Lukas Fleischer <archlinux@cryptocrack.de> -----
> >
> > Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:17:47 +0100
> > From: Lukas Fleischer <archlinux@cryptocrack.de>
> > To: arch-general@archlinux, aur-general@archlinux.org
> > Subject: [aur-general] Dropping tango-icon-theme{,-extras}
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > All sources hosted at tango.freedesktop.org became inaccessible [1] a
> > couple of days ago, probably due to some software upgrade on
> > freedesktop.org.
> >
> > I contacted upstream yesterday and was told that tango-icon-theme,
> > tango-icon-theme-extras and icon-naming-utils are dead and that we
> > shouldn't rely on upstream sources being available (they even mentioned
> > they probably won't care about the 404). It has been suggested to use
> > gnome-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme-extras instead.
> >
> > Given that xfce4-settings seems to be the only package depending on
> > tango-icon-theme, I'd suggest to:
> >
> > * Remove the "tango-icon-theme" dependency from xfce4-settings (this
> > shouldn't break anything, does it?)
> >

> is broken from the time we remove the icon theme. Xfce is going to miss
> all those icons until somebody installs a new icon theme. We have to
> replace with something.

Well, xfce4-settings already depends on gnome-icon-theme and
uninstalling tango-icon-theme (`pacman -Rdd tango-icon-theme`) didn't
break xfce4-settings for me. Not sure if it uses a few icons specific to
tango-icon-theme, though. I doubt so.

Debian lists tango-icon-theme as a recommendation for xfce4-settings
also, so it probably only is a matter of having one or another icon
theme.

> did somebody talked with xfce about this or at least with xfce maintainers?
>
> > * Move both tango-icon-theme and tango-icon-theme-extras to
> > [unsupported].
> >
> > * Think about what to do with icon-naming-utils. We seem to need those
> > for gnome-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme-symbolic, so putting the
> > source tarball on our source mirror might be the best thing to do
> > (unless there's a proper alternative, of course).
> >

> gentoo distfiles are useful for something. I'll take care of
> icon-naming-utils.

Thanks!

> > Objections and other suggestions welcome.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Lukas
> >
> > [1] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library#Download
> >
> > ----- End forwarded message -----
>

> --
> IonuČ›

P.S.: The related bug report I created yesterday [1] has just been
reopened by Ionut. Thanks for that.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27208