Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Myra Nelson

Default Kernel pkgbuild

Caveats first:

I know the package I'm referring to is from the aur -- the linux-pf kernel.
I'm asking here rather than file a needless bug report for someone to have
to squash.
I also realize not everyone's whims can be considered or satisfied and
don't expect such.

However since the pkgbuild is crafted from the mainline pkgbuild this
trivial change would, imho, make the pkgbuild more flexible. Below is the
section I'm referring to.

# http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11194
mkdir -p "${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"
cp include/config/dvb/*.h
"${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"

I understand the need for this as the main kernel builds the modules but
would like to request one small change.

# http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11194
mkdir -p "${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"
if [ -a include/config/dvb/*.h ] ; then
cp include/config/dvb/*.h
"${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"
fi

This allows one to build the kernel without having to build the dvb modules
if they are not required. My build went fine so I think my bash is correct,
but I haven't tested it with the dvb modules being built.

Myra

Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Alex Ferrando

[...]

What about posting it as a comment on the AUR page or as a reply on the
linux-pf forum thread [1] as they seem a better place for that kind of
request?

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103462

--
Alex

Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Auguste Pop

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Alex Ferrando <alferpal@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/11/11 01:46, Myra Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Caveats first:
>>
>> I know the package I'm referring to is from the aur -- the linux-pf
>> kernel.
>> I'm asking here rather than file a needless bug report for someone to have
>> to squash.
>> I also realize not everyone's whims can be considered or satisfied and
>> don't expect such.
>>
>> However since the pkgbuild is crafted from the mainline pkgbuild this
>> trivial change would, imho, make the pkgbuild more flexible. Below is the
>> section I'm referring to.
>>
>> *# http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11194
>> * mkdir -p "${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"
>> * cp include/config/dvb/*.h
>> "${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"
>>
>> I understand the need for this as the main kernel builds the modules but
>> would like to request one small change.
>>
>> *# http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11194
>> * mkdir -p "${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"
>> * if [ -a include/config/dvb/*.h ] ; then
>> * * *cp include/config/dvb/*.h
>> "${pkgdir}/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/config/dvb/"
>> * fi
>>
>> This allows one to build the kernel without having to build the dvb
>> modules
>> if they are not required. My build went fine so I think my bash is
>> correct,
>> but I haven't tested it with the dvb modules being built.
>>
>> Myra
>
> What about posting it as a comment on the AUR page or as a reply on the
> linux-pf forum thread [1] as they seem a better place for that kind of
> request?
>
> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103462
>
> --
> Alex

i thought the op meant to suggest this change to the repo linux
package to ease all possible abs rebuilds.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Matthew Monaco

[...]

This type of thing has always been a pain for me with a custom .config.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Myra Nelson

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:35, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27@0x01b.net> wrote:

> On 11/21/2011 06:02 AM, Auguste Pop wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Alex Ferrando<alferpal@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> What about posting it as a comment on the AUR page or as a reply on the
>>> linux-pf forum thread [1] as they seem a better place for that kind of
>>> request?
>>>
>>> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/**viewtopic.php?id=103462<https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103462>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alex
>>>

>> i thought the op meant to suggest this change to the repo linux
>> package to ease all possible abs rebuilds.
>>

> This type of thing has always been a pain for me with a custom .config.

To All:

Rather than use the bbs I posted the same here on the aur page:

nous's answer says it all.

Matthew has it right. The post was here to see about changing the repo
linux package to ease all possible abs and aur builds/rebuilds. The change
makes (imho) the build system more flexible and hopefully wind up with
fewer borked custom package builds that work on one system then have to be
reworked when someone wants to use them somewhere else.

Myra