Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Bernardo Barros

Default Why ghc 7.2.2 ?

Hello,

Why ghc 7.2.2 is in [testing]?

People are planing to include it in [extra]? It's a "feature preview" release.

It is not a stable release as far as I know. The haskell platform is
scheduled to be released "late 2011" with the next stable version.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Magnus Therning

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:36:07AM -0800, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why ghc 7.2.2 is in [testing]?
>
> People are planing to include it in [extra]? It's a "feature preview" release.
>
> It is not a stable release as far as I know. The haskell platform is
> scheduled to be released "late 2011" with the next stable version.

Have a look at the thread that starts with
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2011-November/001736.html

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
-- Alan Kay

Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Bernardo Barros

I just find it strange..

But he is aware that ghc 7.2.2 is not tagged as "stable" but as
"feature preview", right?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Bernardo Barros

I mean, you can get the feeling that it won't break anything,
but we will have to do a lot of testing before.

At least 2 weeks, right? Maybe a month?

And when those extensive testing phase will end,
it will be time to the stable release already... (like in one month?)

I don't see the point.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Allan McRae

I mean, you can get the feeling that it won't break anything,
but we will have to do a lot of testing before.

At least 2 weeks, right? Maybe a month?

And when those extensive testing phase will end,
it will be time to the stable release already... (like in one month?)

I don't see the point.

You seem to be wrong...

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download

"Current Stable Release (7.2.2)"

And can you at least quote some of the previous message to give context
to your reply...

Allan

Old 11-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Bernardo Barros

"This 7.2.2 release is intended to be more of a "technology preview"
than normal GHC stable branches. In particular, it supports a
significantly improved version of DPH, as well as new features such as
compiler plugins and "safe Haskell". The design of these new features
may evolve as we get more experience with them. "

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_2_2

Old 11-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Bernardo Barros

I believe that's the reason that haskell platform is waiting, and I
think arch should wait a couple of weeks too...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Allan McRae

I believe that's the reason that haskell platform is waiting, and I
think arch should wait a couple of weeks too...

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Bernardo Barros
"This 7.2.2 release is intended to be more of a "technology preview"
than normal GHC stable branches. In particular, it supports a
significantly improved version of DPH, as well as new features such as
compiler plugins and "safe Haskell". The design of these new features
may evolve as we get more experience with them. "

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_2_2

Wow - you can quote emails to give context, but only your own...

Haskell-platform is a slowly updating target that does not match the
Arch philosophy at all. Did you read the email that was linked earlier
in the thread explaining why Arch is going to not use haskell-platform
any more. Haskell platform waiting to update does not affect what Arch
does.

Allan

Old 11-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Bernardo Barros

I read the other thread in arch-haskell, but I didn't see a reason for
that. I don't understand why it conflicts with the 'arch philosophy'
since upstream is telling us it is not ready yet...

Of course you can test it! That's why it was released, but the
[testing] repository is for stuff that will end up in [core]/[extra]
right?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 AM
Allan McRae

I read the other thread in arch-haskell, but I didn't see a reason for
that. I don't understand why it conflicts with the 'arch philosophy'
since upstream is telling us it is not ready yet...

Of course you can test it! That's why it was released, but the
[testing] repository is for stuff that will end up in [core]/[extra]
right?

I have no idea what you are talking about given you fail to quote the
relevant parts of previous emails in your reply. When you start doing
that, I will reply to your message.

Allan