FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Jayesh Badwaik
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

Hi,

Whenever I install a new text editor, it will "hijack" the files
without notifying me. My .tex files were associated
with Kile and when I recently installed emacs, it hijacked the file
associations.

This happens quiet often. Going by the Archway, I guess this is
unwarranted. The system is doing something
automatically without asking me first and I wish it didn't happen.

I understand that when I installed Kile, it also automatically took up
.tex for its use. But then I guess, .tex was not
allocated to anything (excpet may be the default text editor for that
env). What I wish is, by default all applications
should be allocated to a text editor for that DE. (For example, Kwrite
for KDE, Gedit for Gnome and so on.)
But as the programs get installed, the programs should check whether
there is a file association. If it is just to
the text editor, then they can take over. However, if it is to some
other program, then they should not do
anything instead leave a message during installation that these file
types were not changed because they are
otherwise associated and then the user can change some if he wants.

I know I can edit my custom preferences in ~/.local/share/mime folder
or /usr/share/application/defaults.list.
But still I was wondering about the default behaviour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Vinay Badwaik
Electronics and Communication Engineering
VNIT, INDIA
-
 
Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Clive Cooper
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

On 19 November 2011 13:23, Jayesh Badwaik <jayesh.badwaik90@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I install a new text editor, it will "hijack" the files
> without notifying me. My .tex files were associated
> with Kile and when I recently installed emacs, it hijacked the file
> associations.
>
> This happens quiet often. Going by the Archway, I guess this is
> unwarranted. The system is doing something
> automatically without asking me first and I wish it didn't happen.

I have to admit that this is something that gets my back up as well.
Why the hell would wine think that I would want to use the hideous
Notepad editor when just about any Linux editor is better I just don't
know. It also associates images with 'Internet Explorer' yuk. I only
install wine so I can use mp3DirectCut.

Seems to me that there are no etiquette rules to be followed and no
matter what you install it just feels it is free to screw with current
associations.

Does anyone know if there are any rules and they are just plain
ignored or is it an association free-for-all.

Clive
--
Infinity: A concept for those who cannot comprehend the big picture.

() Arch Linux - For movers and shakers. ()
 
Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Bernardo Barros
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

text files opening automatically with wine is really a VERY annoying thing...
 
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Philipp Überbacher
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

Excerpts from Bernardo Barros's message of 2011-11-20 00:06:05 +0100:
> text files opening automatically with wine is really a VERY annoying thing...

This is pretty clearly a DE issue. Are you all using the same DE or is
this common behavior in all popular DEs? I rarely have any of those
issues since I usually call my programs by name and ROX uses manual
file association. Only firefox is sometimes hard to convince, but it
uses gconf or some other DE stuff underneath. It's somewhat nice to see
that DE users also have problems with that kind of stuff. Maybe this
stuff can be changed using regedit or however that great program to
change gconf settings is called. I'm sorry, somehow this ended up as
another DE flame instead of being helpful. Oh well...

So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Leonid Isaev
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

On (11/21/11 22:36), Philipp Überbacher wrote:
-~> Excerpts from Bernardo Barros's message of 2011-11-20 00:06:05 +0100:
-~> > text files opening automatically with wine is really a VERY annoying thing...
-~>
-~> This is pretty clearly a DE issue. Are you all using the same DE or is
-~> this common behavior in all popular DEs? I rarely have any of those
-~> issues since I usually call my programs by name and ROX uses manual
-~> file association. Only firefox is sometimes hard to convince, but it
-~> uses gconf or some other DE stuff underneath. It's somewhat nice to see
-~> that DE users also have problems with that kind of stuff. Maybe this
-~> stuff can be changed using regedit or however that great program to
-~> change gconf settings is called. I'm sorry, somehow this ended up as
-~> another DE flame instead of being helpful. Oh well...
-~>
-~> So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
-~> gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?

gconf, I think in gnome. In xfce (thunar) there is something like
$HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. They are all evil, however:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfYBa1EHm4 (ShmooCon 2011: USB Autorun attacks
against Linux).

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D
Key fingerprint: C0DF 20D0 C075 C3F1 E1BE 775A A7AE F6CB 164B 5A6D
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Bernardo Barros
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

In KDE I don't have this problem.

It happens with xmonad and openbox.

pcmanfm can configure that too, but automatic picks the last installed
package that handle this type of file, and wine is always the last
thing I install in the system..
 
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Mauro Santos
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

On 21-11-2011 22:08, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> In KDE I don't have this problem.
>
> It happens with xmonad and openbox.
>
> pcmanfm can configure that too, but automatic picks the last installed
> package that handle this type of file, and wine is always the last
> thing I install in the system..
>

To work around the wine annoyance I usually do (after running wine once
after the update):

find ~/.local/share/mime -name '*wine*' -exec rm {} ;
rm ~/.local/share/applications/wine*.desktop
update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime

And everything gets back in order to the way I had it configured before.
The original idea isn't mine, I've seen someone suggest this on the
forums or here, can't remember where or who suggested it though.

--
Mauro Santos
 
Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Mantas MikulÄ—nas
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

On 2011-11-21 23:36, Philipp Ăśberbacher wrote:
> So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
> gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?

The default programs are kept in
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, according to fd.o "MIME
Actions spec".

<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec>

All popular DEs - GNOME, Xfce, KDE - use this, and should respect
explicitly set defaults.

On 2011-11-22 00:06, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> gconf, I think in gnome. In xfce (thunar) there is something like
> $HOME/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. They are all evil, however:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfYBa1EHm4 (ShmooCon 2011: USB Autorun
attacks
> against Linux).

Waitwaitwaitwait. How the *hell* does the existence of XDG autorun spec
automatically make all other XDG specs "evil"? Especially file-program
associations, which are completely unrelated?


--
Mantas M.
 
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

În data de Lu, 21-11-2011 la 22:36 +0100, Philipp Überbacher a scris:
> So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
> gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?

Usually other distros deal with this quite well, using a defaults.list
file. For example Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2], though each other having
the file in a different packages and different places, keep this thing
almost sane. I'm not sure how is done for other DEs in these distros,
but at least for GNOME this file has most of known/common file
asociations.

There is the gnome-defaults-list [1] package in AUR, but for personal
reasons I believe is not done in the best way, thou it gave me a good
ideea, and this is how I got to what I'm writing here. This package
pulls an archive from Ubuntu, unpacks it, copies the defaults.list file
into /etc/gnome then symlinks it
to /usr/share/applications/defaults.list, which I find odd, it could've
place the file there in the 1st place.

Also, looking at this file, in both Debian and Ubuntu, I found out that
is not what I'd want on my system, since I don't have some of the
applications associated with some files in these distros. What worked
great for me, was to take the files from both distros, compare them and
come up with my own defaults.list [2].

Now, the great part in this, is that if you have some unusual file
association, it's quite easy to add to the file, afterall, the "funky
desktop files" are all in the same place, /usr/share/applications and
can give you some ideeas.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=gnome-defaults-list&SeB=x
[2] http://ompldr.org/vYmU0ZQ/defaults.list

--
<>< Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici
Proud member of Ceata (http://ceata.org/)
 
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici
 
Default Automatic File Associations Alloting

În data de Ma, 22-11-2011 la 01:59 +0200, Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici a scris:
Sorry, forgot to fix the links numbers and add 2 more.
[1]
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=defaults.list&mo de=path&suite=stable&arch=any
[2]
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=defaults.list&mo de=exactfilename&suite=oneiric&arch=any
> [3] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=gnome-defaults-list&SeB=x
> [4] http://ompldr.org/vYmU0ZQ/defaults.list

--
<>< Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici
Proud member of Ceata (http://ceata.org/)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org