Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Ciprian Dorin Craciun

Default Application stability problems (kernel 3.1, Intel hardware)

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 18:34, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 09:41 AM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:
> [...]
>
> *If I catch anything useful in the logs, I'll pass it along...
>
> *For your specific issues:
>
>> * * *Strange behaviour:
>> * * ** Firefox crashes randomly (or takes the CPU to 100%); (no error on
>> stderr
>> * * ** All OpenSSL based programs complain from time to time of invalid
>> received data;
>> * * ** Flash makes strange noises, strange display artefacts, usually
>> just crashes;
>> * * ** mouse jumps in the upper left corner (or sometimes just stays at
>> top or left);
>> * * ** nothing strange in dmesg;
>

> *This all looks "Desktop" related (except the SSL invalid received data).
> Have you tried another desktop? (i.e. fluxbox, openbox, gnome, kde, etc..)
> If you are using either kde4 or gnome shell, they are both under heavy
> development and I wouldn't put it past being a desktop issue.

Thanks David for the feedback.

I haven't tried any other desktop environment -- and don't have
time to fiddle around with them. But still my desktop environment is
**very minimal**:
* Window Manager -- i3wm;
* terminal -- urxvt with screen;
* no XDM, no PulseAudio, (only local DBus), no NetworkManager, no thrills;
* pretty much a heavily trimmed down ArchLinux; (actually except
the minimum necessary daemons to run the system (i.e. udev,
wpa_supplicant, dhcpcd, agetty) and some stable userspace tools (i.e.
ssh-agent, gpg-agent) there isn't much else; I've weeded out
everything I don't necessarily need...)

As such I'm not sure where to "point" the "blame". Aaa... It seems
that Firefox still crashes even with 2.6.38. But the other problems I
haven't encountered... So I blame Firefox for itself dying, maybe i3wm
for the mouse thinggy (which if I restart X is solved), but for the
OpenSSL stuff?

Ciprian.

P.S.: 3.1.0 was **very very very** unstable for me... It just
froze in a matter of minutes... (Not even SysRq+O doesn't solve the
problem...)