Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Ray Rashif

Default Vim with X

On 15 November 2011 22:00, Manolo Martínez <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As it is now, the standalone vim cannot copy to and from the X clipboard. For a
> vim that does this, one needs to install gvim, which pulls a number of
> dependencies that you don't really need if you don't use the GUI.
>
> I guess the rationale for this is that people using vim in console have no use
> for X support, and the rest will be happy to use gvim. But I think many people
> -- at any rate, I'm one of them -- use vim in a terminal emulator in X. We
> don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
> useful.
>
> Any chance that the policy on compile flags to use for vim could be revised?
>
> Thanks
> Manolo
>
> --

The policy had already been revised when the split was made to have
vim and gvim. Vim had to become lightweight as many people were
complaining about its bulk.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 11/15/11 at 11:57pm, Ray Rashif wrote:
> On 15 November 2011 22:00, Manolo Martínez <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> The policy had already been revised when the split was made to have
> vim and gvim. Vim had to become lightweight as many people were
> complaining about its bulk.

Thanks for the explanation, Ray. I guess I should learn to make do without
copying among X programs, as those people doubtlessly do.
Manolo

Old 11-15-2011, 09:09 PM
John K Pate

On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 22:58 +0100, Manolo Martínez wrote:
> On 11/15/11 at 11:57pm, Ray Rashif wrote:
> > On 15 November 2011 22:00, Manolo Martínez <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> > The policy had already been revised when the split was made to have
> > vim and gvim. Vim had to become lightweight as many people were
> > complaining about its bulk.
> >

> Thanks for the explanation, Ray. I guess I should learn to make do without
> copying among X programs, as those people doubtlessly do.

ctrl-ins, shift-ins, middle-click should all still work. At least they
do for me, and I don't have gvim installed. Or do I have something else
installed that makes them work?

John
==
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Fons Adriaensen

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:09:57PM +0000, John K Pate wrote:

> ctrl-ins, shift-ins, middle-click should all still work. At least they
> do for me, and I don't have gvim installed. Or do I have something else
> installed that makes them work?

Same here.

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Taylor Hedberg

John K Pate, Tue 2011-11-15 @ 22:09:57+0000:
> ctrl-ins, shift-ins, middle-click should all still work. At least they
> do for me, and I don't have gvim installed. Or do I have something
> else installed that makes them work?

He was probably referring to Vim's ability to yank text into its * and +
registers, which represent the X11 primary selection and clipboard,
respectively, using commands like "+yy. This doesn't work unless you
have installed gVim.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 11/15/11 at 05:46pm, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
> John K Pate, Tue 2011-11-15 @ 22:09:57+0000:
> > ctrl-ins, shift-ins, middle-click should all still work. At least they
> > do for me, and I don't have gvim installed. Or do I have something
> > else installed that makes them work?
>
> He was probably referring to Vim's ability to yank text into its * and +
> registers, which represent the X11 primary selection and clipboard,
> respectively, using commands like "+yy. This doesn't work unless you
> have installed gVim.

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Jason Melton

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo@austrohungaro.com>wrote:

> But I think many people
> -- at any rate, I'm one of them -- use vim in a terminal emulator in X. We
> don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
> useful.
>
> If you install gvim, you can still run "vim" in an emulator and you get
the compile flags that gvim used. Which, relevant to this question include
"+xterm_clipboard". gvim is not "gvim only, it's gvim AND vim.

You can then "set clipboard=unnamedplus" (or just "unnamed", or not at
all, depending on your preference) and go to town.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Manolo Martínez

On 11/16/11 at 08:44am, Jason Melton wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Manolo Martínez
> <manolo@austrohungaro.com>wrote:
> > don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
> > useful.
> >
> > If you install gvim, you can still run "vim" in an emulator and you get
> the compile flags that gvim used. Which, relevant to this question include
> "+xterm_clipboard". gvim is not "gvim only, it's gvim AND vim.
>
> You can then "set clipboard=unnamedplus" (or just "unnamed", or not at
> all, depending on your preference) and go to town.

Yes, I know. But gvim pulls in ruby and lua (does that even make sense? I swear
that's what pacman asks to do), and that's a bit too much for clipboard
support.

I was assuming (unwarrantedly, it appears) that my profile of use of vim (in a
terminal emulator, but relying on the x clipboard) was fairly standard. I stand
corrected now.

Manolo

Old 11-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Ray Rashif

On 16 November 2011 17:31, Manolo Martínez <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/11 at 08:44am, Jason Melton wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Manolo Martínez
>> <manolo@austrohungaro.com>wrote:
>> > don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
>> > useful.
>> >
>> > If you install gvim, you can still run "vim" in an emulator and you get
>> the compile flags that gvim used. Which, relevant to this question include
>> "+xterm_clipboard". gvim is not "gvim only, it's gvim AND vim.
>>
>> You can then "set clipboard=unnamedplus" (or just "unnamed", or not at
>> all, depending on your preference) and go to town.
>
> Yes, I know. But gvim pulls in ruby and lua (does that even make sense? I swear
> that's what pacman asks to do), and that's a bit too much for clipboard
> support.
>
> I was assuming (unwarrantedly, it appears) that my profile of use of vim (in a
> terminal emulator, but relying on the x clipboard) was fairly standard. I stand
> corrected now.
>
> Manolo
> --

Since recently, I've been using my own build of vim. I realised I
could do with some convenience after all these years and set up
omni-completion with supertab context for python. If you build in
python3 interpreter the completion does not work, so I have to rebuild
with only python2. I tried enabling X while I was at it but the
yanking to clipboard did not work as far as KDE's Klipper is
concerned. I use pathogen so updating vim or any of its plugins is not
a concern, and thus have vim ignored in pacman.

You can do the same.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Manolo Martínez

On 11/16/11 at 07:09pm, Ray Rashif wrote:
> Since recently, I've been using my own build of vim. I realised I
> could do with some convenience after all these years and set up
> omni-completion with supertab context for python. If you build in
> python3 interpreter the completion does not work, so I have to rebuild
> with only python2. I tried enabling X while I was at it but the
> yanking to clipboard did not work as far as KDE's Klipper is
> concerned. I use pathogen so updating vim or any of its plugins is not
> a concern, and thus have vim ignored in pacman.
>
> You can do the same.

Yep, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion!