Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Manolo Martínez

Default Vim with X

Hello everyone,

As it is now, the standalone vim cannot copy to and from the X clipboard. For a
vim that does this, one needs to install gvim, which pulls a number of
dependencies that you don't really need if you don't use the GUI.

I guess the rationale for this is that people using vim in console have no use
for X support, and the rest will be happy to use gvim. But I think many people
-- at any rate, I'm one of them -- use vim in a terminal emulator in X. We
don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
useful.

Any chance that the policy on compile flags to use for vim could be revised?

Thanks
Manolo

Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Jelle van der Waa

As it is now, the standalone vim cannot copy to and from the X clipboard. For a
vim that does this, one needs to install gvim, which pulls a number of
dependencies that you don't really need if you don't use the GUI.

I guess the rationale for this is that people using vim in console have no use
for X support, and the rest will be happy to use gvim. But I think many people
-- at any rate, I'm one of them -- use vim in a terminal emulator in X. We
don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
useful.

Any chance that the policy on compile flags to use for vim could be revised?

Thanks
Manolo

You could search the archives, why this happend, else just use ABS.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 11-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 11/15/11 at 03:09pm, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> >Any chance that the policy on compile flags to use for vim could be revised?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Manolo
> >
> You could search the archives, why this happend, else just use ABS.

Thanks for your reply, Jelle. I am using ABS atm. I (or rather a certain prominent
search engine) couldn't find any thread
related to this topic in the archives. Do you happen to remember about when was
it covered in the list?

Thanks
Manolo