Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Magnus Therning

Default Where has my /etc/networks gone?

I'm playing around with schroot and when creating a chroot with
"type=directory" I at first failed to start it. The reason seems to be
the lack of the file "/etc/networks". I created an empty one, and
that was accepted by schroot. However, the man page (networks(5)) is
rather cryptic, so what is this file for? Would it not be better to
always have one (albeit empty) by default?

/M

--
Magnus Therning * * * * * * * * * * *OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org * jabber: magnus@therning.org

Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM
"Mantas M."

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 02:28:57PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> I'm playing around with schroot and when creating a chroot with
> "type=directory" I at first failed to start it. The reason seems to be
> the lack of the file "/etc/networks". I created an empty one, and
> that was accepted by schroot. However, the man page (networks(5)) is
> rather cryptic, so what is this file for? Would it not be better to
> always have one (albeit empty) by default?

'/etc/networks' lists IP networks, similar to how '/etc/hosts' lists individual hosts -- except it's not really used for anything, which is why some distros stopped including it. I think `route` from net-tools is the only command that still uses the names defined in '/etc/networks'. For example:

--
Mantas MikulÄ—nas <grawity@nullroute.eu.org>, 0xD24F6CB2C1B52632

Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Magnus Therning

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 05:18:07PM +0200, Mantas M. wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 02:28:57PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> > I'm playing around with schroot and when creating a chroot with
> > "type=directory" I at first failed to start it. The reason seems to be
> > the lack of the file "/etc/networks". I created an empty one, and
> > that was accepted by schroot. However, the man page (networks(5)) is
> > rather cryptic, so what is this file for? Would it not be better to
> > always have one (albeit empty) by default?
>
> '/etc/networks' lists IP networks, similar to how '/etc/hosts' lists
> individual hosts -- except it's not really used for anything, which
> is why some distros stopped including it. I think `route` from
> net-tools is the only command that still uses the names defined in
> '/etc/networks'. For example:
>
> | loopback 127
> | link-local 169.254
> | home-lan 192.168.42
> | # no CIDR support, by the way

Interesting, maybe schroot's reliance on /etc/networks should be
reported as a bug then.

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
-- Alan Kay