Old 11-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Lorenzo Bandieri

Default KDE panel broken after last upgrade

Hello archers,

Last massive KDE upgrade broke my KDE desktop. In particular, after
the reboot, the panel was gone. I tried to "Add Panel": Default Panel
crashes Plasma Shell; Empty panel works. Then I added one by one the
widget I had in my original panel (which was pretty standard). I
determined that the "culprit" is task manager: when I try to add this
widget, KDE crashes.

Any workaround?

Thanks,

Lorenzo

Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Nicol√°s Adamo

Is deleting¬* ŐÉ/.kde4 an option? Be careful if you have many KDE
applications settings, i.e. KTorrent.
It will restore all KDE settings, maybe that works...

Filling reports for KDE bugs under arch is kind of useless... traces
are not useful for kde debuggers because the lack of debug packages.

Does anybody know which packages are necessary to make good bug
reports for KDE ?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Ray Rashif

On 6 November 2011 01:06, Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello archers,
>
> Last massive KDE upgrade broke my KDE desktop. In particular, after
> the reboot, the panel was gone. I tried to "Add Panel": Default Panel
> crashes Plasma Shell; *Empty panel works. Then I added one by one the
> widget I had in my original panel (which was pretty standard). I
> determined that the "culprit" is task manager: when I try to add this
> widget, KDE crashes.

I confirm as I faced this yesterday, but concluded that my systray was
the culprit. Possibly there is something common there.

> Any workaround?

I moved ~/.kde4/share/config, added the default panel, and moved back
the config. As such, I have a default panel now but at least I have a
task manager and a system tray to view my apps. This also means the
issue is with the configs somewhere. I have not done anything else
since I'm a little busy with stuff and I cannot deal with this kind of
breakage ATM.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10

Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 PM
"Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana"

Hi Lorenzo,
I updated today my KDE desktop and transparency in the panel is gone.
Less troubles than you but... :P

Tomorrow I should try to move my settings directory to a backup location
and try in a clean environment.

--
Bl@ster / dottorblaster

Old 11-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Bjoern Franke

Hi,

Am Samstag, 5. November 2011, 18:06:41 schrieb Lorenzo Bandieri:

> Any workaround?

Do you see in .xsession-errors why the panel is crashing?

regards
Bjoern

--
jabber: bjo@schafweide.org
bjo.nord-west.org | nord-west.org | freifunk-ol.de

Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 AM
"Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr."

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Bjoern Franke <bjo@nord-west.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, 5. November 2011, 18:06:41 schrieb Lorenzo Bandieri:
>
> > Any workaround?
>
> Do you see in .xsession-errors why the panel is crashing?
>
> regards
> Bjoern
>
> --
> jabber: bjo@schafweide.org
> bjo.nord-west.org | nord-west.org | freifunk-ol.de

I didn't have any problems with my upgrade, but I switch to smoothtasks as
my task manager. You guys should give that a try.

--
"Breathe Deeply and Dream"

Old 11-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Bjoern Franke

Hi,

> I didn't have any problems with my upgrade, but I switch to smoothtasks as
> my task manager. You guys should give that a try.

I'm running icontasks as taskmanager and had no problems with it, but my
systray crashed every time. If I started the systray with plasmoidviewer, it
was displayed fine, so I think the crashes are not related to taskmanager or
systray, but to the panel itself.

regards
Bjoern

Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Lorenzo Bandieri

>This also means the
> issue is with the configs somewhere.

Yes, it's likely a config problems. Removing my ~/.kde4 prevents the crash.

> Tomorrow I should try to move my settings directory to a backup location
> and try in a clean environment.

Hi Alessio! As I stated, I removed my ~/.kde4 and everything now seems
normal. Probably in a clean environment your transparency will come
back... at least, I hope so!

> Do you see in .xsession-errors why the panel is crashing?

Hi Bjoern. I posted a mail with attached my .xsession-errors, but I
guess my mail has to be approved yet (the attachment made the message
body > 40 Kb, which means that I need moderator approval)...

The errors that seem connected to the crash are:

plasma-desktop(968): ""geometry" - conversion of "62,0,0,0" to QRectF failed"
plasma-desktop(968): ""geometry" - conversion of "62,0,0,0" to QRectF failed"
plasma-desktop(968): ""geometry" - conversion of "62,0,0,0" to QRectF failed"
plasma-desktop(968): ""geometry" - conversion of "62,0,0,0" to QRectF failed"
plasma-desktop(968): ""geometry" - conversion of "62,0,0,0" to QRectF failed"
plasma-desktop(968): ""geometry" - conversion of "62,0,0,0" to QRectF failed"
Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!

However, I don't know how to interpret these. It seems a problem in resizing...

> I didn't have any problems with my upgrade, but I switch to smoothtasks as
> my task manager. You guys should give that a try.

I'll give it a try, thanks

Thanks to everyone for the reply.

Best regards,

Lorenzo

Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Ray Rashif

On 6 November 2011 17:52, Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it's likely a config problems. Removing my ~/.kde4 prevents the crash.

One or both of the following are confirmed to be affected:

plasma-desktoprc
plasma-desktop-appletsrc

We don't need to remove/edit anything else. It's probably something
about resized panels. Anyway this is just an FYI-update for anyone
else facing this.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10

Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Lorenzo Bandieri

> One or both of the following are confirmed to be affected:
>
> plasma-desktoprc
> plasma-desktop-appletsrc
>
> We don't need to remove/edit anything else. It's probably something
> about resized panels. Anyway this is just an FYI-update for anyone
> else facing this.

Thank you Ray.