Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Max

Default Gnome Shell freezes

Dear arch users and developers,

I have posted this issue also in the archlinux forum [1]. I didn't get
much feedback there. So I'm hoping some people here might have an idea
of how to resolve the problem.

Problem:
gnome shell freezes from time to time (actually daily).

Freezing:
"Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.

What triggers the problem:
Usually it happens while scrolling on websites or pdfs. I feel like it
happens more often if there are large images.

Hardware:
IBM T60
ATI X1400

I think it's an issue with the open source radeon drivers. However, this
problem doesn't occur using other desktop environments. I tried to look
into some log files but I couldn't find noticeable error messages.

Looking forward to your suggestions,
Max

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129481

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
甘露(Gan Lu)

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Max <max@posteo.de> wrote:
> Dear arch users and developers,
>
> I have posted this issue also in the archlinux forum [1]. I didn't get
> much feedback there. So I'm hoping some people here might have an idea
> of how to resolve the problem.
>
> Problem:
> gnome shell freezes from time to time (actually daily).
>
> Freezing:
> "Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
> to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
> pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
> virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
> CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
> It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
> login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.
>
> What triggers the problem:
> Usually it happens while scrolling on websites or pdfs. I feel like it
> happens more often if there are large images.
>
> Hardware:
> IBM T60
> ATI X1400
>
> I think it's an issue with the open source radeon drivers. However, this
> problem doesn't occur using other desktop environments. I tried to look
> into some log files but I couldn't find noticeable error messages.
Since you guess ati driver would be the reason, why try it with vesa
or binary driver, then see the result.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Simon Perry

On 03/11/11, Max wrote:

| Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 12:08:31 +0200
| From: Max <max@posteo.de>
| To: arch-general@archlinux.org
| Subject: [arch-general] Gnome Shell freezes
|
| "Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
| to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
| pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
| virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
| CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
| It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
| login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.

I see the same issue pretty much once a day on my Lenovo work laptop,
where I use two monitors via the two display ports that their crappy dock
provides.

It usually happens when I'm doing a CTRL-ALT-UP or DOWN key sequence to
move between virtual desktops. Does it happen to you during a similar
action?

The Levovo is a T420S with an Intel graphics chip. It actually runs
great, handles two decent res screens at once, but I get the gnome-shell
lock-up at least once, usually after 20 minutes or so after booting.

On my old Dell Inspiron 1420 that I use at home, nVidia based, single
screen; it has never exhibited the same issue.

My workaround is to CRTL-ALT-F1 to a console, login then issue a
"killall -HUP gnome-shell", logout, then change back to F7. That fixes it
and amazingly everything is still where it was desktop-wise.

I know this doesn't help much, but I thought I'd relay my experience as
it does sound similar.

Cheers.

--
Simon Perry (aka Pezz)

Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
"Roman V.Leon."

> Dear arch users and developers,
>
> I have posted this issue also in the archlinux forum [1]. I didn't get
> much feedback there. So I'm hoping some people here might have an idea
> of how to resolve the problem.
>
> Problem:
> gnome shell freezes from time to time (actually daily).
>
> Freezing:
> "Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
> to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
> pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
> virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
> CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
> It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
> login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.
>
> What triggers the problem:
> Usually it happens while scrolling on websites or pdfs. I feel like it
> happens more often if there are large images.
>
> Hardware:
> IBM T60
> ATI X1400
>
> I think it's an issue with the open source radeon drivers. However, this
> problem doesn't occur using other desktop environments. I tried to look
> into some log files but I couldn't find noticeable error messages.
>
> Looking forward to your suggestions,
> Max
>

> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129481

Hi Max. Try to use system diagnostics tools like `vmstat 2`(2 is a
timeout) for example, probably you will find the key to resolve you
problem. By the way did you fill /etc/hosts with your PC's hostname ?

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Max

Hey, thanks for your responses.

@Gan Lu: ATI canceled support for the proprietary driver for X1400.
Using the vesa driver won't work because gnome shell requires hardware
acceleration.

@Simon: Actually I will try killing gnome-shell next time. I always
killed gnome-session or the xserver. or simply stopped gdm. We seem to
have different problem though. I use CTRL+ALT+{UP,DOWN} quite a lot and
it never hung up when switching between workspaces.

@Roman: Doing vmstat 2 > vmstat.log & now. Actually I don't know what to
do with the information after a crash but it will provide more insight.

If anybody else experiences similar problems, please comment.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Max

@Roman: forgot to mention: yes, i filled in my hostname in /etc/rc.conf
and /etc/hosts

Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM
"Roman V.Leon."

> Hey, thanks for your responses.
>
> @Gan Lu: ATI canceled support for the proprietary driver for X1400.
> Using the vesa driver won't work because gnome shell requires hardware
> acceleration.
>
> @Simon: Actually I will try killing gnome-shell next time. I always
> killed gnome-session or the xserver. or simply stopped gdm. We seem to
> have different problem though. I use CTRL+ALT+{UP,DOWN} quite a lot and
> it never hung up when switching between workspaces.
>
> @Roman: Doing vmstat 2 > vmstat.log & now. Actually I don't know what to
> do with the information after a crash but it will provide more insight.
>
> If anybody else experiences similar problems, please comment.
>
> On 03.11.2011 12:38, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
>>
>>> Dear arch users and developers,
>>>
>>> I have posted this issue also in the archlinux forum [1]. I didn't get
>>> much feedback there. So I'm hoping some people here might have an idea
>>> of how to resolve the problem.
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> gnome shell freezes from time to time (actually daily).
>>>
>>> Freezing:
>>> "Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
>>> to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
>>> pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
>>> virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
>>> CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
>>> It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
>>> login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.
>>>
>>> What triggers the problem:
>>> Usually it happens while scrolling on websites or pdfs. I feel like it
>>> happens more often if there are large images.
>>>
>>> Hardware:
>>> IBM T60
>>> ATI X1400
>>>
>>> I think it's an issue with the open source radeon drivers. However, this
>>> problem doesn't occur using other desktop environments. I tried to look
>>> into some log files but I couldn't find noticeable error messages.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to your suggestions,
>>> Max
>>>

>>> [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129481
>>>

>> Hi Max. Try to use system diagnostics tools like `vmstat 2`(2 is a
>> timeout) for example, probably you will find the key to resolve you
>> problem. By the way did you fill /etc/hosts with your PC's hostname ?

Max, i have ASUS F3Ke laptop with ATI X2300 and i do not have such
problems with xf86-video-ati driver, but if be honest i'm a kde user. Try
to compare vmstat output when system behavior is normal and when it's
freezes and post it here if there will be any difference.

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 PM
"Guillermo Leira"

It happens to me now and then, and I'm using intel drivers. I have noticed
that most of the times it is when I switch from a full screen vmware
workstation VM to another task. The symptoms are the same. Usually I can
connect from other machine to the VM and shut it down, and then reboot the
computer.

Sometimes it happens once or twice a day, and then comes a new driver and
the problem vanishes for a month. Then another upgrade brings it back.
Actually, I haven't suffered it for at least two weeks...

No suggestions, only that I think that it is not related to the radeon
drivers.

Guillermo Leira

Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Magnus Therning

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 12:08:31PM +0200, Max wrote:
> Dear arch users and developers,
>
> I have posted this issue also in the archlinux forum [1]. I didn't get
> much feedback there. So I'm hoping some people here might have an idea
> of how to resolve the problem.
>
> Problem:
> gnome shell freezes from time to time (actually daily).
>
> Freezing:
> "Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
> to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
> pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
> virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
> CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
> It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
> login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.
>
> What triggers the problem:
> Usually it happens while scrolling on websites or pdfs. I feel like it
> happens more often if there are large images.
>
> Hardware:
> IBM T60
> ATI X1400
>
> I think it's an issue with the open source radeon drivers. However, this
> problem doesn't occur using other desktop environments. I tried to look
> into some log files but I couldn't find noticeable error messages.

This happens to me fairly rarely, but still often enough to be
irritating.

For me it has only ever happened when I use the logo key to jump into
the Activities Overview and start typing to search for an application.
The only way out of it seems to be to jump out to a console and kill
gnome-session or restart gdm.

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
-- Alan Kay

Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Tuxce

Le 4 nov. 2011 20:51, Magnus Therning a crit :

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 12:08:31PM +0200, Max wrote:
>> Dear arch users and developers,
>>
>> I have posted this issue also in the archlinux forum [1]. I didn't get
>> much feedback there. So I'm hoping some people here might have an idea
>> of how to resolve the problem.
>>
>> Problem:
>> gnome shell freezes from time to time (actually daily).
>>
>> Freezing:
>> "Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
>> to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
>> pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
>> virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
>> CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
>> It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
>> login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.
>>
>> What triggers the problem:
>> Usually it happens while scrolling on websites or pdfs. I feel like it
>> happens more often if there are large images.
>>
>> Hardware:
>> IBM T60
>> ATI X1400
>>
>> I think it's an issue with the open source radeon drivers. However, this
>> problem doesn't occur using other desktop environments. I tried to look
>> into some log files but I couldn't find noticeable error messages.
>
> This happens to me fairly rarely, but still often enough to be
> irritating.
>
> For me it has only ever happened when I use the logo key to jump into
> the Activities Overview and start typing to search for an application.
> The only way out of it seems to be to jump out to a console and kill
> gnome-session or restart gdm.

Send SIGHUP to gnome-shell will save you from losing your session.
pkill -HUP gnome-shell