Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Nyuszika7H

Default ALSA problems with linux-3.1

Hi,

I upgraded to linux-3.1-2 from [testing] a few days ago (x86_64), and I had
problems with ALSA. Sound was broken - KMixer treated Headphone as master,
and alsamixer has changed, too. I tried everything but I couldn't get sound
to work. Did anyone else have this or a similiar issue? I can't test it
unfortunately, as I would have to reboot even to load a new kernel module
after upgrading because of changed paths. I could test it in a VM, but the
result might not be the same because of different, virtual hardware.

nyuszika7h

Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 02.11.2011 11:00, schrieb Nyuszika7H:
> I upgraded to linux-3.1-2 from [testing] a few days ago (x86_64), and I had
> problems with ALSA. Sound was broken - KMixer treated Headphone as master,
> and alsamixer has changed, too. I tried everything but I couldn't get sound
> to work. Did anyone else have this or a similiar issue?

It happens a lot with alsa that mixer controls change.

For many ALSA drivers, there are workarounds for such detection
failures. Google them.

> I can't test it
> unfortunately, as I would have to reboot even to load a new kernel module
> after upgrading because of changed paths.

If you do not plan to reboot, do not update the kernel.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Nyuszika7H

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:08, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am 02.11.2011 11:00, schrieb Nyuszika7H:
> > I upgraded to linux-3.1-2 from [testing] a few days ago (x86_64), and I
> had
> > problems with ALSA. Sound was broken - KMixer treated Headphone as
> master,
> > and alsamixer has changed, too. I tried everything but I couldn't get
> sound
> > to work. Did anyone else have this or a similiar issue?
>
> It happens a lot with alsa that mixer controls change.

For many ALSA drivers, there are workarounds for such detection
> failures. Google them.

I'll check it if I reboot someday.

> > I can't test it
> > unfortunately, as I would have to reboot even to load a new kernel module
> > after upgrading because of changed paths.
>
> If you do not plan to reboot, do not update the kernel.

Yes, that's what I do, I added linux-* to IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf so
it isn't upgraded. Maybe I'll give it another try when I have to reboot
because of something.