Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 AM

Default Why not create a new repo specified for games ?

Hi all,

I noticed that there are some games in the community repo.
Some of them has _HUGE_ data packages.

Why not create a new repo for those games? That will save
some bandwidth if a mirror maintainer decided to not support
games.

By far, not everyone play game on our ArchLinux.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Oon-Ee Ng

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_User_Repositories

Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Karol Blazewicz

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM, *<goodmenzy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> * I noticed that there are some games in the community repo.
>> Some of them has _HUGE_ data packages.
>>
>> * Why not create a new repo for those games? That will save
>> some bandwidth if a mirror maintainer decided to not support
>> games.
>>
>> * By far, not everyone play game on our ArchLinux.
>>

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_User_Repositories

There once was a gaming repo but I think it's dead

Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

goodmenzy@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
> I noticed that there are some games in the community repo.
>Some of them has _HUGE_ data packages.
>
> Why not create a new repo for those games? That will save
>some bandwidth if a mirror maintainer decided to not support
>games.
>
> By far, not everyone play game on our ArchLinux.

Not this discussion again. If you start this way, then how about separating out other big packages as well? This doesn't exactly keep things simple.

Besides, other distros have much bigger binary repos than we do and they still get mirrored.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Jelle van der Waa

I noticed that there are some games in the community repo.
Some of them has _HUGE_ data packages.

Why not create a new repo for those games? That will save
some bandwidth if a mirror maintainer decided to not support
games.

By far, not everyone play game on our ArchLinux.

Not this discussion again. If you start this way, then how about separating out other big packages as well? This doesn't exactly keep things simple.

Besides, other distros have much bigger binary repos than we do and they still get mirrored.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Arch-Games is indeed dead, most of the maintainers became TU ironically...

Making repo categories would indeed be a mess as Sven states.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 11-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Matej Ľach

I support this idea.
Keep most games in AUR and the more popular ones can have their own repo
[games] on a separate server.
This server could be community financed using donations and if not
enough interest will be raised for new repo, all these huge games can be
moved to AUR and the smaller ones can stay in [community].

That's my view at it.

I noticed that there are some games in the community repo.
Some of them has _HUGE_ data packages.

Why not create a new repo for those games? That will save
some bandwidth if a mirror maintainer decided to not support
games.

By far, not everyone play game on our ArchLinux.

--
Best Regards,
Matej Ľach

e-mail: contact@matej-lach.net
web: www.matej-lach.net

Use Arch Linux on your desktop and CyanogenMod on your mobile device!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:40, Matej Ľach <matej.lach@gmail.com> wrote:
> I support this idea.
> Keep most games in AUR and the more popular ones can have their own repo
> [games] on a separate server.
> This server could be community financed using donations and if not enough
> interest will be raised for new repo, all these huge games can be moved to
> AUR and the smaller ones can stay in [community].
>
> That's my view at it.
Having another repo for large packages is not useful. The benefit of
the old arch-games project was just that we compiled and hosted things
that weren't already in the repo.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:40, Matej Ľach <matej.lach@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I support this idea.
>> Keep most games in AUR and the more popular ones can have their own repo
>> [games] on a separate server.
>> This server could be community financed using donations and if not enough
>> interest will be raised for new repo, all these huge games can be moved to
>> AUR and the smaller ones can stay in [community].
>>
>> That's my view at it.
> Having another repo for large packages is not useful. The benefit of
> the old arch-games project was just that we compiled and hosted things
> that weren't already in the repo.

What exactly would be too large? LibreOffice? jre7-openjdk? Qt? ;-)
I'm with Daenyth here: provide an unofficial repo if you like but
don't drop apps that are in the official repos - excluding the
nexuiz-xonotic switcheroo.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
"Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana"

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Matej Ľach <matej.lach@gmail.com> wrote:

> I support this idea.
> Keep most games in AUR and the more popular ones can have their own repo
> [games] on a separate server.
> This server could be community financed using donations and if not enough
> interest will be raised for new repo, all these huge games can be moved to
> AUR and the smaller ones can stay in [community].

Kudos
This is an awesome idea, I think it would be better than having to rebuild
every game from sources every time a developer updates it.
Now, we have these two ways to do this thing. I think an official
repository mirrored as the same as core, extra and testing would be a
better way to do it, because we do not have enough money to host a project
like this (I believe), and no one will ever moan for one or two GBs of new
packages in a new directory.

Am I wrong?

--
Bl@ster / dottorblaster

Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Ángel Velásquez

2011/11/1 Matej Ľach <matej.lach@gmail.com>:
> I support this idea.
> Keep most games in AUR and the more popular ones can have their own repo
> [games] on a separate server.
> This server could be community financed using donations and if not enough
> interest will be raised for new repo, all these huge games can be moved to
> AUR and the smaller ones can stay in [community].
>
> That's my view at it.

I have been saying that since two or three years ago.

As i've said before, games is not the strong point of any Linux
distribution, and nobody use linux to game, face it, some people
download games, but most of the gamer people are playing consoles, not
even a desktop/laptop computer..

For me having another repo [games] won't be a mess, and for non-gamers
won't be a mess either cause we won't play games!. games are not
popular software like KDE/GNOME (which I don't use), even if you try
harder to justify about "other bigger packages" no dude, games are not
so popular to this size of mb. It's a relation popular <-> disk space.

But well, i'm done with this, games in repos are hurting our distro
instead helping it..

Good luck

--
Angel Velásquez