Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
clemens fischer

Default udev-174-1)

On Tue-2011/10/25-14:56 clemens fischer wrote:

> My system broke with udev-174-1. I have rules renaming eth* according
> to their MACs for consistency, guarding against dependency on
> order-of-detection, plus rules to customize a wlan running on an USB
> device. These rules didn't run.

The initcpio (mkinitcpio(8)) on my homegrown initramfs image was
udev-173, which didn't match the udev-174 in the "full" system.

I didn't expect this, because I don't have any custom hooks or udev
rules besides my "simple-atomatics" one, which is only one rule not
interfering with anything else. The initramfs is all archlinux, so to
speak.

Yesterday I compiled the new 3.0.8 stable kernel, and the script also
invoked mkinitcpio(8), which eventually puts the new udev-174 into the
initramfs image. Thereafter the udev in the image and on the full
system match, and my problem was gone 8-).

clemens

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Auguste Pop

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM, clemens fischer
<ino-news@spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> wrote:
> On Tue-2011/10/25-14:56 clemens fischer wrote:
>
>> My system broke with udev-174-1. *I have rules renaming eth* according
>> to their MACs for consistency, guarding against dependency on
>> order-of-detection, plus rules to customize a wlan running on an USB
>> device. *These rules didn't run.
>
> The initcpio (mkinitcpio(8)) on my homegrown initramfs image was
> udev-173, which didn't match the udev-174 in the "full" system.
>
> I didn't expect this, because I don't have any custom hooks or udev
> rules besides my "simple-atomatics" one, which is only one rule not
> interfering with anything else. *The initramfs is all archlinux, so to
> speak.
>
> Yesterday I compiled the new 3.0.8 stable kernel, and the script also
> invoked mkinitcpio(8), which eventually puts the new udev-174 into the
> initramfs image. *Thereafter the udev in the image and on the full
> system match, and my problem was gone *8-).
>

> clemens

have you tried manually run mkinitcpio?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 PM
clemens fischer

Auguste Pop wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM, clemens fischer <...> wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I compiled the new 3.0.8 stable kernel, and the script also
>> invoked mkinitcpio(8), which eventually puts the new udev-174 into
>> the initramfs image. *Thereafter the udev in the image and on the
>> full system match, and my problem was gone *8-).
>
> have you tried manually run mkinitcpio?

Yes, like I said: the builder script did that. I wonder why this has
to be done, though. The initramfs runs udevd, and etc/rc.sysinit does,
too, after switch_root. So I thought at least the latter invocation
would find and execute my rule irrespective of the version used.

clemens