Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Squall Lionheart

Default Programs Not Closing

Hello,

Ever since the upgrade to KDE 4.7 several weeks ago, a lot of programs seem
to hang in the Task Manager after I close them. They will remain for a long
time or until I open another application. I also have an occasional
application crash when I shutdown. Unfortunately, the crash message tells
me nothing of what program is crashing and I'm not sure if it's related.

My question for everyone is regarding the programs hanging around since it's
a regular thing and is most likely the cause of the latter. Is this a
common thing or do I have some conflict somewhere, or a service that isn't
happy?

I run pacman -Suy almost daily and use Firefox, Thunderbird, Kopete,
Yakuake, VirtualBox, Terminal, Kwrite, and BOINC on a regular bases. I put
my system to sleep nightly and shutdown at the end of the week.
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus network !netfs crond alsa @cupsd @boinc @samba).

I hope that's enough info.

Thank you

--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
http://twitter.com/headmastersqual

Old 10-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Jos M. Prieto

2011/10/26 Squall Lionheart <headmastersquall@gmail.com>:
> Is this a
> common thing or do I have some conflict somewhere, or a service that isn't
> happy?

Works fine here, on both i686 and x86_64.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 PM
"Roman V.Leon."

[...]

What you mean under "Task Manager" ? The thing is i have similar problem
after update to KDE 4.7 - some programs exist in task panel some time,
after I closed them. For example after i closing firefox i can see it's
shortcut in task panel.

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Squall Lionheart

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Roman V.Leon. <roman-vl@meta.ua> wrote:

> 26.10.2011 20:53, Squall Lionheart пишет:
>
> Hello,
>>
>> Ever since the upgrade to KDE 4.7 several weeks ago, a lot of programs
>> seem
>> to hang in the Task Manager after I close them. They will remain for a
>> long
>> time or until I open another application. I also have an occasional
>> application crash when I shutdown. Unfortunately, the crash message tells
>> me nothing of what program is crashing and I'm not sure if it's related.
>>
>> My question for everyone is regarding the programs hanging around since
>> it's
>> a regular thing and is most likely the cause of the latter. Is this a
>> common thing or do I have some conflict somewhere, or a service that isn't
>> happy?
>>
>> I run pacman -Suy almost daily and use Firefox, Thunderbird, Kopete,
>> Yakuake, VirtualBox, Terminal, Kwrite, and BOINC on a regular bases. I
>> put
>> my system to sleep nightly and shutdown at the end of the week.
>> DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus network !netfs crond alsa @cupsd @boinc @samba).
>>
>> I hope that's enough info.
>>
>> Thank you
>>

>> What you mean under "Task Manager" ? The thing is i have similar problem
> after update to KDE 4.7 - some programs exist in task panel some time, after
> I closed them. For example after i closing firefox i can see it's shortcut
> in task panel.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Roman V.Leon.

I am referring to the same thing. The Task panel is named Task Manager.
After I close an application, the space it would take on the panel remains
and the icon changes to the X no icon image (I think it's the xorg
icon/logo). After this happens, the only way to get rid of it is to open
and close another application or to wait a long time.

Do you think Desktop Search, Nepomnk or akonadi would have anything to do
with this? I had them disabled for a long time then enabled them after the
4.7 update since I was constantly being nagged about them being disabled.
Would rather not have them at all in my opinion.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 PM
"Roman V.Leon."

[...]

I don't think it's search systems behaviour, i had disabled them about a
year ago(when system was installed) and never used them. I was under
impression that i'm just the only one lucky with this issue, now it
seems that it's a bug which became visible after update.

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Squall Lionheart

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Roman V.Leon. <roman-vl@meta.ua> wrote:

> 26.10.2011 22:10, Squall Lionheart пишет:
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Roman V.Leon.<roman-vl@meta.ua> wrote:
>>
>> 26.10.2011 20:53, Squall Lionheart пишет:
>>>
>>> Hello,

>>> after update to KDE 4.7 - some programs exist in task panel some time,
>>> after
>>> I closed them. For example after i closing firefox i can see it's
>>> shortcut
>>> in task panel.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Roman V.Leon.
>>>

>> I am referring to the same thing. The Task panel is named Task Manager.
>> After I close an application, the space it would take on the panel remains
>> and the icon changes to the X no icon image (I think it's the xorg
>> icon/logo). After this happens, the only way to get rid of it is to open
>> and close another application or to wait a long time.
>>
>> Do you think Desktop Search, Nepomnk or akonadi would have anything to do
>> with this? I had them disabled for a long time then enabled them after
>> the
>> 4.7 update since I was constantly being nagged about them being disabled.
>> Would rather not have them at all in my opinion.
>>
>> I don't think it's search systems behaviour, i had disabled them about a
> year ago(when system was installed) and never used them. I was under
> impression that i'm just the only one lucky with this issue, now it seems
> that it's a bug which became visible after update.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Roman V.Leon.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem. Do you suspect anything in
particular, or does it feel like a KDE bug?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Eric Barons

Hello,

i have exactly the same problem.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011 10:53:18 Squall Lionheart wrote:
> Ever since the upgrade to KDE 4.7 several weeks ago, a lot of programs seem
> to hang in the Task Manager after I close them. They will remain for a long
> time or until I open another application. I also have an occasional
> application crash when I shutdown. Unfortunately, the crash message tells
> me nothing of what program is crashing and I'm not sure if it's related.

I've seen behaviour that I *think* is what you're describing. I've seen a few
applications remain in the task bar, but I'm almost certain that it's simply a
bug in the plasmoid. Any kind of update to the window list in the task bar
(e.g. moving a window onto another screen and back) removes the phantom task
bar entry.

Paul

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Simon Stoakley

The day was 26/10/11 19:10 when , Squall Lionheart had this to say......:

Do you think Desktop Search, Nepomnk or akonadi would have anything to do
with this? I had them disabled for a long time then enabled them after the
4.7 update since I was constantly being nagged about them being disabled.
Would rather not have them at all in my opinion.

I've disabled them without any troubles so far [1] [2] , bear in mind
though they'll automatically start if you open kmail etc and are needed
by some things to work properly [3]

[1]
http://henryhermawan.blogspot.com/2011/08/disable-nepomuk-and-akonadi.html

[2] http://ubuntuku.org/16/how-to-disable-nepomuk-akonadi/