Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default linux-3.1-2

Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> Hi guys,
> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Upstream
> changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
> /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
> marked as deprecated for quite some time
> All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
> should make the transition to pata hook now!
> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
> marked as deprecated for quite some time,
> everything is available in /sys

Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
files for those to see what needs changing.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Thomas Bächler

Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>> Hi guys,
>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>>
>> Upstream
>> changes:
>> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>
>> Archlinux Changes:
>> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
>> - all external modules should be installed in
>> * /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>> * marked as deprecated for quite some time
>> * All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>> * should make the transition to pata hook now!
>> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>> * marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>> * everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

I don't use any of that, but my laptop still boots so my previous
signoff (x86_64) still stands.

-t

Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Christian Hesse

Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > Hi guys,
> > please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
> >
> > Upstream
> > changes:
> > http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
> >
> > Archlinux Changes:
> > - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> > - all external modules should be installed in
> > /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> > - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
> > marked as deprecated for quite some time
> > All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
> > should make the transition to pata hook now!
> > - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
> > marked as deprecated for quite some time,
> > everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci.

x86_64 works on my Samsung NF310 as well.

> All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

Where do module updates go to? I have patched versions of psmouse and zram
for example.
Or does it make any sense to link /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
to /lib/modules/updates-`uname -r` and install them there?
--
Schoene Gruesse
Chris

Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
"Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana"

It works well on my laptop.
Signoff i686

--
Bl@ster / dottorblaster

Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Giovanni Scafora

please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.

Upstream
changes:
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

Archlinux Changes:
- $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
- all external modules should be installed in
/lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
- disabled the old IDE subsystem,
marked as deprecated for quite some time
All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
should make the transition to pata hook now!
- disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
marked as deprecated for quite some time,
everything is available in /sys

Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
files for those to see what needs changing.

Signoff x86_64

--
Arch Linux Developer
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Dominik Cermak

Am Dienstag, 25. Oktober 2011, 20:48:34 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > Hi guys,
> > please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
> >
> > Upstream
> > changes:
> > http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
> >
> > Archlinux Changes:
> > - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> > - all external modules should be installed in
> >
> > /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> >
> > - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
> >
> > marked as deprecated for quite some time
> > All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
> > should make the transition to pata hook now!
> >
> > - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
> >
> > marked as deprecated for quite some time,
> > everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

I get the following message displayed right before the initscripts output:

[ 2.117965] [drm:ironlake_update_pch_refclk] *ERROR* enabling SSC on PCH

So far I have no problems, but this message seems important.

Greetings
Dominik

Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 26.10.2011 11:54, schrieb Dominik Cermak:
> I get the following message displayed right before the initscripts output:
>
> [ 2.117965] [drm:ironlake_update_pch_refclk] *ERROR* enabling SSC on PCH
>
> So far I have no problems, but this message seems important.

I have the same, and I am a bit worried. This message is from i915, but
my graphics work fine so far.

This is the output of dmesg -l err:

[ 1.882959] [drm:ironlake_update_pch_refclk] *ERROR* enabling SSC on PCH
[ 10.336917] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[ 10.338144] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[ 10.338784] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[ 10.339422] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[ 12.546241] usb 1-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32

The first message is new in 3.1, the ACPI messages appeared with 3.0,
and the last one is a sporadic message that I already got with 3.0.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011 12:05:08 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> This is the output of dmesg -l err:
>

> [ 1.882959] [drm:ironlake_update_pch_refclk] *ERROR* enabling SSC on PCH
> [ 10.336917] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [ 10.338144] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [ 10.338784] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [ 10.339422] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [ 12.546241] usb 1-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>
> The first message is new in 3.1, the ACPI messages appeared with 3.0,
> and the last one is a sporadic message that I already got with 3.0.

The SSC on PCH message may be a debug message that was accidentally left in.
See: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/19/80

Paul

Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Dominik Cermak

Am Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2011, 11:11:19 schrieb Paul Gideon Dann:

> The SSC on PCH message may be a debug message that was accidentally left in.
> See: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/19/80

Thanks for the link, looks like it is nothing to worry about.

Dominik