Old 10-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default udevd related warning after initscripts update

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Mauro Santos
<registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you know if the shutdown messages are logged somewhere or if it's
> possible to log them somewhere (I've grepped through the logs but didn't
> find anything), as it might come in handy since shutdown happens really
> fast and there isn't much time to read any warnings or errors.

We don't log shutdown as the disks are being unmounted. What I usually
do is to edit /etc/rc.conf and add "bash" on a line just before the
final shutdown. That will give you a shell and you can view the
shutting down.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Mauro Santos

On 23-10-2011 19:35, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Mauro Santos
> <registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you know if the shutdown messages are logged somewhere or if it's
>> possible to log them somewhere (I've grepped through the logs but didn't
>> find anything), as it might come in handy since shutdown happens really
>> fast and there isn't much time to read any warnings or errors.
>
> We don't log shutdown as the disks are being unmounted. What I usually
> do is to edit /etc/rc.conf and add "bash" on a line just before the
> final shutdown. That will give you a shell and you can view the
> shutting down.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Oh nice idea, not ideal to catch one-off problems but better than
nothing ( and I guess you meant /etc/rc.shutdown but I got the idea ).

Thanks for the tips and explanations

--
Mauro Santos

Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Mauro Santos
<registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
> ( and I guess you meant /etc/rc.shutdown but I got the idea ).

Indeed

-t