Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM
"Christian"

Default Arch and Gnome 3problems

Hi all on this list,
First, I really apologize if this is off list, but I had trouble registering on the forum's. But OK, now to my problem.
I used Gnome in the passed, v2.30 with no issues and I had to do a reinstall of my system and now I am running the latest Arch.
However, Gnome seems to be working fine, I think, but I am having problems when I try to use Orca, the screen reader for Gnome. I am visually impaired so I rely on speech and or braille.
Here is a short summery of what I did after the installation of Arch was complete
I added my user and added it to some of the groups, like audio,video,storage,optical, etc.
Then, I did:
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils
pacman -S xf86-video-ati
pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
pacman -S xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse
rc.d start dbus
pacman -R gnome-shell gnome-screensaver
/etc/rc.d/gdm start

Isn't this correct for getting Gnome up and running?
Many thanks for any help,
Christian

Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Jesse Juhani Jaara

I dont see why you would want to remove the gnome-shell package, as it is
a main part of the new gnome 3.

Also xf86-input-keyboard and -mouse are long deprecated
now days you only xf86-input-evdev and and latop users need
xf86-input-synaptics too.

If I remeber right the screen reader wanst working that well in gnome 3, but
that might have been fixed in 3.2.

Instead of removing the shell you should make gnome use the fallback mode
if the new gnome-shell is bringing some problems for you.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM
"Christian"

Hi,
But isn't it Gnome 3.2 that now comes with Arch?
Many thanks,
Christian

Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Jesse Juhani Jaara

Yes gnome is version 3.2.1
at the moment and that is what we have in the repos.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 PM
"Christian"

Hi,
OK, many thanks so that is what I get when I install it using pacman.
But its strange the problems I am having.
But ok, thanks for your help!
Christian

Old 10-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Martti Kühne

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
<snip>
> But its strange the problems I am having.

Hello there,

if you're having trouble with the accessibility routines provided by
the GNOME project, I'd like to direct you to upstream. [1] is the
gnome-accessibility-list main page, where also archives are linked.
Maybe there are other users and especially developers who could
benefit from your experience, and for them you could dig into this
problem a bit further, eg. elaborate on that "strange" behavior on
said mailing list. Myself, I'd always like to help, but I cannot test
these things myself further than compare with what the visual state
machine gives me, though.

cheers!
mar77i