Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Eric Griffith

Default Samba: Access Denied

So I'm trying to figure out why Samba won't allow me to share the folder:

/home/admin/data

on my home server; but it will share:

/home/

just fine.

/home/admin/data is chmodd'ed 777 because its gonna be the 'public
share' folder with nothing personal in it, the user is admin, the
group is users. Whenever I try to access the folder from my laptop TO
the server; I get "Access Denied"

Relevant SMB.conf section:

[Public]
path = /home/admin/data/
available= yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
guest ok = yes

[admin@server ~]$ ls -l
total 12
drwxrwxrwx 2 admin users 4096 Oct 21 13:09 data
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 21 12:58 ftp
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 21 13:49 http
[admin@server ~]$

Just incase this is the issue: the permissions on /home/admin (the
admin folder specifically) are

[admin@server home]$ ls -l
total 4
drwx------ 5 admin users 4096 Oct 21 13:53 admin
[admin@server home]$

So could the problem be that /home/admin's permissions wont allow me
to share a subfolder, even though the subfolder's permissions are
fine? If so; what would be an okay permission setup to use for
/home/admin so that I CAN share /home/admin/data, without letting
everyone have access to my overall /home?

The reason im doing Samba instead of NFS is because there's windows
machines on the network as well

Old 10-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Madeye

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:12:36 -0400
Eric Griffith <egriffith92@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'm trying to figure out why Samba won't allow me to share the
> folder:
>
> /home/admin/data
>
> on my home server; but it will share:
>
> /home/
>
> just fine.
>
> /home/admin/data is chmodd'ed 777 because its gonna be the 'public
> share' folder with nothing personal in it, the user is admin, the
> group is users. Whenever I try to access the folder from my laptop TO
> the server; I get "Access Denied"
>
> Relevant SMB.conf section:
>

> [Public]
> path = /home/admin/data/
> available= yes
> browsable = yes
> public = yes
> writable = yes
> create mask = 0777
> guest ok = yes
>
> [admin@server ~]$ ls -l
> total 12
> drwxrwxrwx 2 admin users 4096 Oct 21 13:09 data
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 21 12:58 ftp
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 21 13:49 http
> [admin@server ~]$
>

> Just incase this is the issue: the permissions on /home/admin (the
> admin folder specifically) are
>
> [admin@server home]$ ls -l
> total 4
> drwx------ 5 admin users 4096 Oct 21 13:53 admin
> [admin@server home]$
This is where the problem lies. You need to have execute permissions on
that folder for everyone. (or users depending on which user is accessing
the sub folders).

--
Madeye

- The box said to install Windows 95 or better,
so I installed ARCH Linux!

- Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 (。◕‿◕。) -
- Jabber: @@ madeye at jabber dot org @@ -