Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Oon-Ee Ng

Default Forums search interval

On Oct 19, 2011 3:59 AM, "Heiko Baums" <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> Am Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:49:20 +0200
> schrieb Pataricza Zsolt <siriusb@linuxmail.org>:
>
> > Try Google instead. Enter:
> > something you want to find site:bbs.archlinux.org
>
> This has nothing to do with the search interval issue.
>
> And does Google really need to know everything? And what is the forums'
> search function for?
>
> Heiko

It's just a (very effective) workaround with the added benefit of utilizing
google's servers rather than arch's.

This discussion probably belongs more in the forums itself (forum and wiki
discussion sub-forum) though, since it is about the forum. The forum admin
is currently occupied with RL last I heard so not sure how fast a reply
you'd get

Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Pataricza Zsolt

*Küldés ideje:* Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:10:27 +0800.
something you want to find site:bbs.archlinux.org

This has nothing to do with the search interval issue.

And does Google really need to know everything? And what is the forums'
search function for?

Heiko

It's just a (very effective) workaround with the added benefit of utilizing
google's servers rather than arch's.

This discussion probably belongs more in the forums itself (forum and wiki
discussion sub-forum) though, since it is about the forum. The forum admin
is currently occupied with RL last I heard so not sure how fast a reply
you'd get

@Heiko,
While I agree with your concern regarding google I don't think an arch
forum search reveals too much sensitive (personal) info or any at all.
And in this case there's the additional benefit as mentioned above that
google search doesn't cause additional server load.
Actually in my early days I tried to use forum search, too but then
realized the issue you faced and also found that google would give me
better hits.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Isaac Dupree