Old 10-15-2011, 09:48 PM
"Christian"

Default A question about installing Arch

Hi all,
I just have a question and I really need to install Arch. Unfortunatly, I only have the 2010-05 release CD here and I am not able to burn the new one. Is it correct that it will not be able to download the system and install it?
If not, are there any other ways for me to get this installed?
Many thanks for any help,
Christian

Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Martti Kühne

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just have a question and I really need to install Arch. Unfortunatly, I only have the 2010-05 release CD here and I am not able to burn the new one. Is it correct that it will not be able to download the system and install it?
> If not, are there any other ways for me to get this installed?
> Many thanks for any help,
> Christian

Hey, I recently installed arch using a PCLinuxOS live cd from about
the same time. Basically you have to get pacman working and stick to
instructions on installing packages in the right places, eg. you can
easily set up an arch chroot on any existing linux. see [1] and [2],
my blog howto which circumvents the regular installer [3]. pacman
--root is your friend. :-)

cheers!
mar77i

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_bundled_32-bit_system_in_Arch64
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_Existing_Linux
[3] http://mar77i.blogspot.com/2011/08/kde-on-virtual-archlinux-machine.html

Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Martti Kühne

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just have a question and I really need to install Arch. Unfortunatly, I only have the 2010-05 release CD here and I am not able to burn the new one. Is it correct that it will not be able to download the system and install it?
> If not, are there any other ways for me to get this installed?
> Many thanks for any help,
> Christian

Uh, I might have shot out of specifically answering your question. You
can upgrade a live arch boot easily if you can get network running and
just pacman -Syu into memory. I guess the installer won't be upgraded
though, but maybe you can still use it anyway?

sorry for the noise. cheers!
mar77i

Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Christopher Richard

You should be able to install 2010 and do a pacman -syu

Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Leandro Costa

Just run a pacman -Syu after the installation and you will get the current
system.

--
+55(88) 9713-7657
http:// <http://www.leandrocosta.pro.br/>w<http://okidarkeden.blogspot.com/>

Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 PM
"Christian"

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your replies.
I have the network installation CD of Arch here so then, what you are saying is that it should download the old packages and then I just upgrade the system with pacman after it has installed?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 PM
John K Pate

On Sun, 2011-10-16 at 00:33 +0200, Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thanks a lot for your replies.
> I have the network installation CD of Arch here so then, what you are saying is that it should download the old packages and then I just upgrade the system with pacman after it has installed?

Yes. Refer to http://www.archlinux.org/news/ and the forum if you run
into any snags, but this should work fine.

John

==
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Lorenzo Bandieri

Hi Christian,

Accidentally, I installed Arch just the day before the new installation cd
came out, so my experience could be useful to you.

I had no problems in the installation phase, but when I rebooted my system,
I was welcomed by a broken installation: apparently, grub didn't find the
kernel.

The explaination was here:
http://www.archlinux.org/news/changes-to-kernel-package-and-filenames/ GRUB
could not find the kernel because the name was changed with the 3.0 version.

So, you have to remember to change the default kernel name in your
grub.conf. I had no other problems.

HTH,

Lorenzo