Old 11-26-2007, 02:49 AM
"Scott Horowitz"

Default Updated check_archlinux.py script

Okay, here's a much improved version of the script. By default, it
will do fresh cvs checkouts of all archs (i.e. i686 and x86_64), so
I'd strongly recommend looking at the --help screen if that's not what
you want. You can point it at an existing abs tree instead if you
wish.

Changes:
- Better accommodate x86_64 arch (thanks Eric for the useful info)
- Optional generation of graphical dep tree (requires pydot) (Cesar)
- Exclude makedepends from circular dependency checking
- Validate hierarchy of repos (e.g. that a core pkg doesn't depend on extra)

The only thing I'm not sure is useful is reporting "hierarchy
problems" for makedepends, e.g. if a package in core has a makedepend
in extra. Any opinions on if it should be kept or scrapped?

$ ./check_archlinux.py

========================
= i686 Integrity Check =
========================

Checking out clean abs tree
==> core
==> extra
==> community
==> unstable

Performing integrity checks...
==> parsing pkgbuilds
==> checking dependencies
==> checking makedepends
==> checking archs
==> checking for circular dependencies
==> checking repo packages

Missing PKGBUILDs
-------------------
/extra/modules/fglrx/PKGBUILD

Duplicate PKGBUILDs
---------------------
/community/gnome/system-tools-backends/PKGBUILD vs.
/unstable/gnome/system-tools-backends/PKGBUILD
/community/gnome/gnome-system-tools/PKGBUILD vs.
/unstable/gnome/gnome-system-tools/PKGBUILD
/extra/lib/perl-module-pluggable/PKGBUILD vs.
/community/lib/perl-module-pluggable/PKGBUILD
/extra/devel/junit/PKGBUILD vs. /community/devel/junit/PKGBUILD

Missing Dependencies
----------------------
icomplete --> 'vim-devel'
portaudio_cpp --> 'portaudio'

Missing Makedepends
---------------------
rafkill --> 'dumb'
gensplash --> 'klibc-beyond'

Unmet Dependency Provisions
-----------------------------
perl-datetime-format-mail --> 'perl-datetime>=0.1705'
liboobs --> 'system-tools-backends>=2.4'
perl-datetime-format-strptime --> 'perl-datetime>=0.1402'

Repo Hierarchy for Dependencies
---------------------------------
extra/perl-email-abstract depends on community/perl-module-pluggable

Repo Hierarchy for Makedepends
--------------------------------
extra/xosd depends on community/xmms
core/iputils depends on extra/jade
core/madwifi-utils depends on extra/sharutils
core/e2fsprogs depends on extra/bc
core/syslog-ng depends on extra/glib2
extra/flac depends on community/xmms
core/eventlog depends on extra/libol
extra/bcprov depends on community/junit
core/madwifi depends on extra/sharutils

Invalid Archs
---------------
libofa --> x64_86
kexec-tools --> 686
zsnes --> ppc
mod_perl --> x64_86
minicom --> !x86_64

Circular Dependencies
-----------------------
flightgear-data>flightgear>flightgear-data
shadow>coreutils>shadow
coreutils>pam>db>coreutils
bash>readline>glibc>bash
gcc-gcj>eclipse-ecj>gcc-gcj
tzdata>glibc>tzdata
archboot>archboot

Missing Repo Packages
-----------------------
pysolfc-cardsets-1.1-1 in community/os/i686
listen-0.5-5 in community/os/i686
endeavour-2.8.4-1 in community/os/i686
etracer-0.35-6 in community/os/i686
pysolfc-1.1-1 in community/os/i686
aria2-0.11.5-1 in extra/os/i686
rxvt-unicode-8.7-1 in extra/os/i686
ion-3rc_20071109-1 in extra/os/i686

Summary
---------
Dirs with missing PKGBUILDs: 1
Duplicate PKGBUILDs: 4
Missing (make)dependencies: 4
Unmet provisioned (make)dependencies: 3
Circular dependencies: 7
Invalid archs: 5
Missing packages in repos: 8
Mismatching PKGBUILD names: 0
Repo hierarchy problems: 10

Cleaning up temporary abs tree...

==========================
= x86_64 Integrity Check =
==========================

Checking out clean abs tree
==> core
==> extra
==> community
==> unstable

Performing integrity checks...
==> parsing pkgbuilds
==> checking dependencies
==> checking makedepends
==> checking archs
==> checking for circular dependencies
==> checking repo packages

Missing PKGBUILDs
-------------------
/community/x11/compiz-plugins-extra/PKGBUILD
/extra/lib/gtkmm1/PKGBUILD

Duplicate PKGBUILDs
---------------------
/extra/lib/perl-module-pluggable/PKGBUILD vs.
/community/lib/perl-module-pluggable/PKGBUILD
/extra/devel/junit/PKGBUILD vs. /community/devel/junit/PKGBUILD

Missing Dependencies
----------------------
icomplete --> 'vim-devel'
ies4linux --> 'wine'

Missing Makedepends
---------------------
rafkill --> 'dumb'

Repo Hierarchy for Dependencies
---------------------------------
extra/perl-email-abstract depends on community/perl-module-pluggable

Repo Hierarchy for Makedepends
--------------------------------
extra/bcprov depends on community/junit
extra/xosd depends on community/xmms
core/iputils depends on extra/jade
core/madwifi-utils depends on extra/sharutils
core/e2fsprogs depends on extra/bc
core/syslog-ng depends on extra/glib2
extra/flac depends on community/xmms
core/eventlog depends on extra/libol
core/madwifi depends on extra/sharutils

Invalid Archs
---------------
libofa --> x64_86
minicom --> !x86_64

Circular Dependencies
-----------------------
glibc>tzdata>glibc
glibc>bash>readline>glibc
shadow>coreutils>shadow
coreutils>pam>db>coreutils
lib32-libxdamage>lib32-libxfixes>lib32-libx11>lib32-libxdamage
gcc-gcj>eclipse-ecj>gcc-gcj
archboot>archboot

Missing Repo Packages
-----------------------
etracer-0.35-6 in community/os/x86_64
pysolfc-1.1-1 in community/os/x86_64
scim-pinyin-0.5.91-4 in extra/os/x86_64
evilwm-1.0.0-1.1 in extra/os/x86_64

Summary
---------
Dirs with missing PKGBUILDs: 2
Duplicate PKGBUILDs: 2
Missing (make)dependencies: 3
Unmet provisioned (make)dependencies: 0
Circular dependencies: 7
Invalid archs: 2
Missing packages in repos: 4
Mismatching PKGBUILD names: 0
Repo hierarchy problems: 10

Cleaning up temporary abs tree...

Scott

Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 AM
"Rodrigo Coacci"

Okay, here's a much improved version of the script. By default, it
will do fresh cvs checkouts of all archs (i.e. i686 and x86_64), so
I'd strongly recommend looking at the --help screen if that's not what

you want. You can point it at an existing abs tree instead if you
wish.

(...)

Circular Dependencies
-----------------------
flightgear-data>flightgear>flightgear-data

shadow>coreutils>shadow
coreutils>pam>db>coreutils
bash>readline>glibc>bash
gcc-gcj>eclipse-ecj>gcc-gcj
tzdata>glibc>tzdata
archboot>archboot <------ This is the single most weird dependency cycle i've seen :-P
*(....)
--
Cheers,
* * *Rodrigo

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2007/11/26, Scott Horowitz <stonecrest@gmail.com>:
> Okay, here's a much improved version of the script. By default, it
> will do fresh cvs checkouts of all archs (i.e. i686 and x86_64), so
> I'd strongly recommend looking at the --help screen if that's not what
> you want. You can point it at an existing abs tree instead if you
> wish.
>
> Changes:
> - Better accommodate x86_64 arch (thanks Eric for the useful info)
> - Optional generation of graphical dep tree (requires pydot) (Cesar)
> - Exclude makedepends from circular dependency checking
> - Validate hierarchy of repos (e.g. that a core pkg doesn't depend on extra)
>
> The only thing I'm not sure is useful is reporting "hierarchy
> problems" for makedepends, e.g. if a package in core has a makedepend
> in extra. Any opinions on if it should be kept or scrapped?

Great work! Thanks!

> Circular Dependencies
> -----------------------

> shadow>coreutils>shadow
Hah, this depends on coreutils just because of 'yes'. :-)
It could be replaced with echo 'y'.

> coreutils>pam>db>coreutils
this is already fixed in CVS HEAD
Doesn't this script doesn't check that?

> Repo Hierarchy for Makedepends
> --------------------------------
> core/iputils depends on extra/jade
> core/madwifi-utils depends on extra/sharutils
> core/e2fsprogs depends on extra/bc
> core/syslog-ng depends on extra/glib2
> core/eventlog depends on extra/libol
> core/madwifi depends on extra/sharutils

I guess this should be moved to Core or revisited if these makedepends
are needed.
I knew only about glib2.

> extra/flac depends on community/xmms
Huh? I don't use flac, but why a codec makedepends on a player?

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
"Scott Horowitz"

On Nov 26, 2007 4:22 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > coreutils>pam>db>coreutils
> this is already fixed in CVS HEAD
> Doesn't this script doesn't check that?

No, it checks the CURRENT/CURRENT-64 tags only, the same as if a user
was running abs and using the pkgbuilds. Using cvs head would be too
tricky, especially how it relates to the different arches - e.g. if a
cvs head file is more up-to-date than the latest current/current-64
tagged files, to which arch does it apply? You can't possibly know
until it is tagged.

Realistically, the script will never give 100% accurate results. For
example, I could run the script and do checkouts in the time between a
pkgbuild is tagged and the package shows up on the ftp repos. So
despite possible false positives (like the cvs head thing), it should
hopefully give valuable information, but it's up to humans to verify
and interpret the results

Scott