Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default # ?

On 12/15/2010 08:30 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Let me know if I can provide anything else to help. I'm sort of dead in the
> water until I get this sorted.

Also, the install was from the i686 2010.05 net install media. But since the net
install complete all base packages and the kernel are the current kernel.

Thanks for any help you can provide

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 12/15/2010 08:47 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 08:30 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Let me know if I can provide anything else to help. I'm sort of dead in the
>> water until I get this sorted.
>>

> Also, the install was from the i686 2010.05 net install media. But since the net
> install complete all base packages and the kernel are the current kernel.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide

Looking at it, this looks almost identical to:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18348

Regression maybe?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 12/15/2010 08:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 08:47 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> On 12/15/2010 08:30 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> Let me know if I can provide anything else to help. I'm sort of dead in the
>>> water until I get this sorted.
>>>

>> Also, the install was from the i686 2010.05 net install media. But since the net
>> install complete all base packages and the kernel are the current kernel.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can provide
>>

> Looking at it, this looks almost identical to:
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18348
>
> Regression maybe?

Anybody? Any workaround ideas? I need to get this box to boot somehow on the
array. I can't really boot to a degraded array when I have to complete the
install. tpowa, brain0 you guys recall any tricks from the time you worked the
bug above?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 16.12.2010 03:30, schrieb David C. Rankin:
> Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6 ...
>
> Root device '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6' doesn't exist. Attempting to create it.
>
> ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device
> '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6'
>
> You are being dropped to a recovery shell
>
> Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>
> [ ramfs ]#

You have an almost fully functional system in that ramfs environment.
Look at the output of 'ls -l /dev/mapper' to see if the devices are
indeed missing.

Look at 'ls -l /dev/sd*' to see if your hard drives even show up. If
they do, try to issue 'dmraid -ay' again and see if the /dev/mapper
devices show up now.

This might just be a timing problem: dmraid -ay might be called before
/dev/sd* is fully set up and detected - we had these problems in the
past already. The 'sleep' hook put after the udev hook can work around that.

If it isn't a timing problem, then your hard drives are probably not
detected. The reasons for this can be manifold, but it never hurts to
try if the fallback image shows the same behaviour.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 12/16/2010 11:42 AM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 16.12.2010 03:30, schrieb David C. Rankin:
>> Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6 ...
>>
>> Root device '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6' doesn't exist. Attempting to create it.
>>
>> ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device
>> '/dev/mapper/nvidia_haheegdbp6'
>>
>> You are being dropped to a recovery shell
>>
>> Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
>>
>> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
>>
>> [ ramfs ]#
>
> You have an almost fully functional system in that ramfs environment.
> Look at the output of 'ls -l /dev/mapper' to see if the devices are
> indeed missing.
>
> Look at 'ls -l /dev/sd*' to see if your hard drives even show up. If
> they do, try to issue 'dmraid -ay' again and see if the /dev/mapper
> devices show up now.
>
> This might just be a timing problem: dmraid -ay might be called before
> /dev/sd* is fully set up and detected - we had these problems in the
> past already. The 'sleep' hook put after the udev hook can work around that.
>
> If it isn't a timing problem, then your hard drives are probably not
> detected. The reasons for this can be manifold, but it never hurts to
> try if the fallback image shows the same behaviour.

Thank you Thomas, I'll go give it a try and report back. In the mean time, I
have updated:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_with_Fake_RAID#Install_GRUB

with some additional detail to help people with the install. I just filled in
the spots where there were a few gaps in the steps that could leave you
scratching your head if you hadn't done it before. Please take a look and make
sure it is OK. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC