-   -   We want to help (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/465485-we-want-help.html)

Tomás Acauan Schertel 12-14-2010 10:54 AM

We want to help

The Brazilian Arch Linux Community wants to help Arch Linux project,
working on bug reports and feature requests.
As first task, we plan to help conclude the development of AUR version 2.

We don't have lots of developers, but we really want to help. And
maybe others join us on this effort.

To accomplish this, we need to enlighten some points:

1 - where should we look for feature requests?
* bugs.archlinux.org?
* AUR2 wiki page?

2 - what code repository should we take as start point?
* git://gitorious.org/aur2/aur2.git -- the "central" repository with
the stable branch
* git://github.com/sebnow/aur2.git -- Xilon's repository
* git://ius.student.utwente.nl/aur2 -- Thralas's repository
* git://git.berlios.de/aur2 -- Djszapi's repository
* git://github.com/SpeedVin/aur2.git -- SpeedVin's AUR2 forked repo
with some patches and translation's.

3 - How Feature Requests / Bug Reports will be closed on flyspray?
* Maybe a TU can do the job.

Maybe things get easier if just one (maybe two) TU`s leads us on work.

--
Tomás A. Schertel
Linux Registered User #304838

Allan McRae 12-14-2010 12:14 PM

We want to help

The Brazilian Arch Linux Community wants to help Arch Linux project,
working on bug reports and feature requests.
As first task, we plan to help conclude the development of AUR version 2.

That is a big goal! But it just might be crazy enough to succeed.
Especially if there is a group of you.

We don't have lots of developers, but we really want to help. And
maybe others join us on this effort.

To accomplish this, we need to enlighten some points:

1 - where should we look for feature requests?
* bugs.archlinux.org?
* AUR2 wiki page?

Both I would guess...

2 - what code repository should we take as start point?
* git://gitorious.org/aur2/aur2.git -- the "central" repository with
the stable branch
* git://github.com/sebnow/aur2.git -- Xilon's repository

This one is probably the best.

* git://ius.student.utwente.nl/aur2 -- Thralas's repository
* git://git.berlios.de/aur2 -- Djszapi's repository
* git://github.com/SpeedVin/aur2.git -- SpeedVin's AUR2 forked repo
with some patches and translation's.

I'll add "AUR3" to the mix... -

3 - How Feature Requests / Bug Reports will be closed on flyspray?
* Maybe a TU can do the job.

You can request bug closures which will eventually get dealt with by a
relevant person.

Allan

Tomás Acauan Schertel 12-14-2010 01:28 PM

We want to help

Thanks for your answer Allan.

We gonna start working and sending code ASAP.

C Anthony Risinger 12-14-2010 05:12 PM

We want to help

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> ** git://ius.student.utwente.nl/aur2 -- Thralas's repository
>> ** git://git.berlios.de/aur2 -- Djszapi's repository
>> ** git://github.com/SpeedVin/aur2.git -- SpeedVin's AUR2 forked repo
>> with some patches and translation's.
>
> I'll add "AUR3" to the mix... -

i haven't made any release or update to BBS (or README :-) in some
time, but a fair amount of work + thought has gone into this. if
you'd like, check out the 'pmvc-refactor' branch here:

https://github.com/extofme/aur-pyjs/tree/pmvc-refactor

it will be the path forward, and is based on the lightweight puremvc
framework to add a little sanity. i encourage you to take a look, as
the code is remarkably small, fast, free of any HTML/compatibility
nuances, but still leverages the full power of the most advanced GUI
available... a web browser, an excellent language... python, and a
competent widget library based on GWT. it's a fully client side
javascript (or python-DOM) application requiring nothing from the
server (or a local daemon...) other than JSON-RPC endpoints, which can
be implemented in any language.

the entire GUI is reusable in desktop mode (python bindings to DOM).
everything is hot pluggable at runtime, right down to the core and
shell. users will in time be able to make any layout change they
wish. the slight stagnation on this project is only due to me working
on pyjamas itself to support runtime hot-loading of python modules via
AJAX... ie. variable/conditional imports... to enable dependency
injection (of AUR modules), [more] efficient bootstrap and runtime,
and other dynamicisms.

currently, local PKGBUILD database expected to be dulwich/git based,
to easily support forking/etc of PKGBUILDs, but im also considering
couchdb (the couchdb python API could be ported to pyjs... then i
could make parallel databases calls via iframe proxies DIRECTLY from
the browser!!). the ultimate idea is a distributed AUR.

im not in a hurry to complete it, as i have some far reaching goals,
but it is very much active and open for input. in short, this message
is a shameless self-promotion, but i believe the approach holds more
potential than existing solutions, simpler extensibility, and a lower
barrier of entry to non web/HTML/CSS/Javascript/.../.../... (have you
ever wrote a good webapp before? sheesh...) developers.

C Anthony

C Anthony Risinger 12-14-2010 05:23 PM

We want to help

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> ** git://ius.student.utwente.nl/aur2 -- Thralas's repository
>>> ** git://git.berlios.de/aur2 -- Djszapi's repository
>>> ** git://github.com/SpeedVin/aur2.git -- SpeedVin's AUR2 forked repo
>>> with some patches and translation's.
>>
>> I'll add "AUR3" to the mix... -
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=99839
>
> i haven't made any release or update to BBS (or README :-) in some
> time, but a fair amount of work + thought has gone into this. *if
> you'd like, check out the 'pmvc-refactor' branch here:
>
> https://github.com/extofme/aur-pyjs/tree/pmvc-refactor
>
> it will be the path forward, and is based on the lightweight puremvc
> framework to add a little sanity. *i encourage you to take a look, as
> the code is remarkably small, fast, free of any HTML/compatibility
> nuances, but still leverages the full power of the most advanced GUI
> available... a web browser, an excellent language... python, and a
> competent widget library based on GWT. *it's a fully client side
> javascript (or python-DOM) application requiring nothing from the
> server (or a local daemon...) other than JSON-RPC endpoints, which can
> be implemented in any language.
>
> the entire GUI is reusable in desktop mode (python bindings to DOM).
> everything is hot pluggable at runtime, right down to the core and
> shell. *users will in time be able to make any layout change they
> wish. *the slight stagnation on this project is only due to me working
> on pyjamas itself to support runtime hot-loading of python modules via
> AJAX... ie. variable/conditional imports... to enable dependency
> injection (of AUR modules), [more] efficient bootstrap and runtime,
> and other dynamicisms.
>
> currently, local PKGBUILD database expected to be dulwich/git based,
> to easily support forking/etc of PKGBUILDs, but im also considering
> couchdb (the couchdb python API could be ported to pyjs... then i
> could make parallel databases calls via iframe proxies DIRECTLY from
> the browser!!). the ultimate idea is a distributed AUR.
>
> im not in a hurry to complete it, as i have some far reaching goals,
> but it is very much active and open for input. *in short, this message
> is a shameless self-promotion, but i believe the approach holds more
> potential than existing solutions, simpler extensibility, and a lower
> barrier of entry to non web/HTML/CSS/Javascript/.../.../... (have you
> ever wrote a good webapp before? sheesh...) developers.

oops i forgot to mention an interesting thing ill be adding soon...

i managed to integrate the google translate API into pyjs, so i can
make translation calls. the idea will be to dynamically determine the
users language at runtime and translate everything on the fly,
comments and all. i want users to be able to write comments etc. in
their native language (and be stored this way), and everyone still
able to read each other. as i unfortunately can only speak english
(curse you USA grade school system!), i can't speak for other langs,
but the google translation works very well for conversion to english,
far more than enough to understand the text... i even managed to set
up a CNAME in DNS with a spanish CSR/company once, using translation
on the fly :-)

also, instead of git/couchdb, im also considering using the local
database of HTML5, which is sqlite3 based i believe, though i'm not as
sure the limitations here. the benefit is that it keeps everything in
the bowser, making the AUR fully self contained and able to run as an
offline app.

C Anthony

Tomás Acauan Schertel 12-14-2010 05:39 PM

We want to help

You've done a great job Anthony. Your app is a all-in-one!
Our focus is (was) create a better AUR, with new features and using
other platform (from php to django). I think your focus is a little
different, isn't?

C Anthony Risinger 12-14-2010 06:14 PM

We want to help

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Tomás Acauan Schertel
<tschertel@gmail.com> wrote:
> You've done a great job Anthony. Your app is a all-in-one!
> Our focus is (was) create a better AUR, with new features and using
> other platform (from php to django). I think your focus is a little
> different, isn't?

well, the immediate focus is to create a better AUR, feature
complete++ to the current one, but with the additional goal of
eventually decoupling it from a client-server model, and ultimately
from archlinux altogether. i have some ideas about a 100%
"distributed distribution", but that's neither here nor there :-).

so no, not really. i intend to create a sweet AUR. the AUR really
stood out when i came to archlinux, and set it apart from others; it's
highly related to my own research and interests, and in general just
needs an overhaul.

the benefit to the pyjs approach is 100% client side operation, so it
can run without online access. additionally, the python-DOM version
(or the pyjs version if proxying thru a local daemon) could
potentially direct install from the website, leading to "install now"
functionality. lastly, python means you could use the same lang to
write the front end and the backend, and communicate using JSON
messages.

but yeah in the medium run, i'd like to see archlinux.org function as
a simple state tracker, linking users together, and letting them share
and manage their own PKGBUILD repositories. in the long run,
archlinux.org is dropped altogether, and the AUR is completely P2P.

as a professional web applications developer by day, i can vouch that
writing webapps requires knowledge of about 4 different haphazardly
implemented "standards", requiring far to much painfully acquired
knowledge. by using a library like pyjamas, you allow anyone with
python experience to write incredibly functional plugins/modules, and
share maintenance load. django is a great platform, but after i
discovered pyjamas about 1yr ago, i haven't looked back, and am
convinced that compiler technology is the only sane way to develop
complex and maintainable web-based applications.

C Anthony

Kaiting Chen 12-14-2010 06:23 PM

We want to help

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me>wrote:

> the benefit to the pyjs approach is 100% client side operation, so it
> can run without online access. additionally, the python-DOM version
> (or the pyjs version if proxying thru a local daemon) could
> potentially direct install from the website, leading to "install now"
> functionality. lastly, python means you could use the same lang to
> write the front end and the backend, and communicate using JSON
> messages.
>
> as a professional web applications developer by day, i can vouch that
> writing webapps requires knowledge of about 4 different haphazardly
> implemented "standards", requiring far to much painfully acquired
> knowledge. by using a library like pyjamas, you allow anyone with
> python experience to write incredibly functional plugins/modules, and
> share maintenance load. django is a great platform, but after i
> discovered pyjamas about 1yr ago, i haven't looked back, and am
> convinced that compiler technology is the only sane way to develop
> complex and maintainable web-based applications.

Out of curiosity why is everyone so again just writing Javascript? Everyone
seems to want to write in some other language and then compile to Javascript
these days. --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Nicolás Reynolds 12-14-2010 06:43 PM

We want to help

El 14/12/10 01:14, C Anthony Risinger dijo:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Tomás Acauan Schertel
> <tschertel@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You've done a great job Anthony. Your app is a all-in-one!
> > Our focus is (was) create a better AUR, with new features and using
> > other platform (from php to django). I think your focus is a little
> > different, isn't?
>
> well, the immediate focus is to create a better AUR, feature
> complete++ to the current one, but with the additional goal of
> eventually decoupling it from a client-server model, and ultimately
> from archlinux altogether. i have some ideas about a 100%
> "distributed distribution", but that's neither here nor there :-).
>
> so no, not really. i intend to create a sweet AUR. the AUR really
> stood out when i came to archlinux, and set it apart from others; it's
> highly related to my own research and interests, and in general just
> needs an overhaul.
>
> the benefit to the pyjs approach is 100% client side operation, so it
> can run without online access. additionally, the python-DOM version
> (or the pyjs version if proxying thru a local daemon) could
> potentially direct install from the website, leading to "install now"
> functionality. lastly, python means you could use the same lang to
> write the front end and the backend, and communicate using JSON
> messages.
>
> but yeah in the medium run, i'd like to see archlinux.org function as
> a simple state tracker, linking users together, and letting them share
> and manage their own PKGBUILD repositories. in the long run,
> archlinux.org is dropped altogether, and the AUR is completely P2P.
>
> as a professional web applications developer by day, i can vouch that
> writing webapps requires knowledge of about 4 different haphazardly
> implemented "standards", requiring far to much painfully acquired
> knowledge. by using a library like pyjamas, you allow anyone with
> python experience to write incredibly functional plugins/modules, and
> share maintenance load. django is a great platform, but after i
> discovered pyjamas about 1yr ago, i haven't looked back, and am
> convinced that compiler technology is the only sane way to develop
> complex and maintainable web-based applications.
>
> C Anthony

p2p-aur o/

--
Salud!
Nicolás Reynolds,

http://librecultivo.org.ar
http://parabolagnulinux.org

Ignacio Galmarino 12-14-2010 07:57 PM

We want to help

Because writing javascript that is compatible con every mayor browser
"by hand" is a very hard work

Ignacio