Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Ignacio Galmarino

Default We want to help

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Ignacio Galmarino <igalmarino@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because writing javascript that is compatible con every mayor browser
> "by hand" is a very hard work
>
> Ignacio

Sorry for top posting ...f****g gmail defaults !

Ignacio

Old 12-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Loui Chang

On Tue 14 Dec 2010 09:54 -0200, Tomás Acauan Schertel wrote:
> The Brazilian Arch Linux Community wants to help Arch Linux project,
> working on bug reports and feature requests.
> As first task, we plan to help conclude the development of AUR version 2.
>
> We don't have lots of developers, but we really want to help. And
> maybe others join us on this effort.
>
> To accomplish this, we need to enlighten some points:
>
> 1 - where should we look for feature requests?
> * bugs.archlinux.org?
> * AUR2 wiki page?
>
> 2 - what code repository should we take as start point?
> * git://gitorious.org/aur2/aur2.git -- the "central" repository with
> the stable branch
> * git://github.com/sebnow/aur2.git -- Xilon's repository
> * git://ius.student.utwente.nl/aur2 -- Thralas's repository
> * git://git.berlios.de/aur2 -- Djszapi's repository
> * git://github.com/SpeedVin/aur2.git -- SpeedVin's AUR2 forked repo
> with some patches and translation's.
>
> 3 - How Feature Requests / Bug Reports will be closed on flyspray?
> * Maybe a TU can do the job.
>
> Maybe things get easier if just one (maybe two) TU`s leads us on work.

Well, the AUR2 is a completely independent project. I don't think that
it should be tracked on the bugtracker for the current AUR - that's
unless the Trusted Users decide to adopt it instead of the current
codebase.

So the answer to question 1 would be the wiki page.

2. I believe you should follow the "central" repo if you decide to
develop on AUR2.

3. I think it's best if AUR2 had a separate tracker.

Finally, I'd like to honestly say I don't see AUR2 as really being a
worthwhile investment for the next generation of the AUR. It's just
another web app like the current AUR, it might have a couple extra
frills, but I don't think it makes sense to rewrite the whole thing just
for that sake. They can probably added easily enough to the current
code.

As I see it I agree totally with Anthony's vision of what the future
of the AUR should look like. I've actually thought about this for a
few years, but I lack the talent to start any implementation.
I'm not sure if we will be able to jump right into it though. It might
take a couple of generations of the system. A first step would be to
take the interface out of the server and have the client deal with that.

I think you should take a look at Eli Janssen's AUR json daemon.
https://github.com/cactus/spew

and C Anthony Risinger's aur-pyjs
https://github.com/extofme/aur-pyjs

Cheers.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Alexander Duscheleit

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:12:46 -0600
C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>
> wrote:
> >> ** git://ius.student.utwente.nl/aur2 -- Thralas's repository
> >> ** git://git.berlios.de/aur2 -- Djszapi's repository
> >> ** git://github.com/SpeedVin/aur2.git -- SpeedVin's AUR2 forked
> >> repo with some patches and translation's.
> >
> > I'll add "AUR3" to the mix... -
> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=99839
>
> i haven't made any release or update to BBS (or README :-) in some
> time, but a fair amount of work + thought has gone into this. if
> you'd like, check out the 'pmvc-refactor' branch here:
>
> https://github.com/extofme/aur-pyjs/tree/pmvc-refactor
>
> it will be the path forward, and is based on the lightweight puremvc
> framework to add a little sanity. i encourage you to take a look, as
> the code is remarkably small, fast, free of any HTML/compatibility
> nuances, but still leverages the full power of the most advanced GUI
> available... a web browser, an excellent language... python, and a
> competent widget library based on GWT. it's a fully client side
> javascript (or python-DOM) application requiring nothing from the
> server (or a local daemon...) other than JSON-RPC endpoints, which can
> be implemented in any language.
> [...]

Just out of curiosity, how will this accommodate links/lynx or
brltty/espeak/etc. users?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Andrea Scarpino

On Wednesday 15 December 2010 22:45:21 Loui Chang wrote:
> Finally, I'd like to honestly say I don't see AUR2 as really being a
> worthwhile investment for the next generation of the AUR. It's just
> another web app like the current AUR, it might have a couple extra
> frills, but I don't think it makes sense to rewrite the whole thing just
> for that sake. They can probably added easily enough to the current
> code.
I agree.
Instead of write code for AUR2, you guys should help fixing current AUR bugs or
implement new AUR features. Just my two cents.

Cheers

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Tomás Acauan Schertel

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 05:57, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2010 22:45:21 Loui Chang wrote:
>> Finally, I'd like to honestly say I don't see AUR2 as really being a
>> worthwhile investment for the next generation of the AUR. It's just
>> another web app like the current AUR, it might have a couple extra
>> frills, but I don't think it makes sense to rewrite the whole thing just
>> for that sake. They can probably added easily enough to the current
>> code.
> I agree.
> Instead of write code for AUR2, you guys should help fixing current AUR bugs or
> implement new AUR features. Just my two cents.

Guys, we're here to help where project needs.
If you say the best effort is expand the current AUR, we gonna help on this.
If you say that we need to close bug reports in flyspray, we gonna help on this.
I agree that rewrite AUR just to have it running on Django but with no
new BIG features is like working in vain.

I'll start looking for PHP developers (to implement features on
current AUR) and looking people to help on closing bur reports on
flyspray.
It that OK for you guys?

--
Tomás A. Schertel
Linux Registered User #304838

Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Alexander Duscheleit
<jinks@archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:12:46 -0600
> C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me> wrote:

>> > I'll add "AUR3" to the mix... -
>> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=99839
>>
>> i haven't made any release or update to BBS (or README :-) in some
>> time, but a fair amount of work + thought has gone into this. *if
>> you'd like, check out the 'pmvc-refactor' branch here:
>>
>> https://github.com/extofme/aur-pyjs/tree/pmvc-refactor
>>
>> it will be the path forward, and is based on the lightweight puremvc
>> framework to add a little sanity. *i encourage you to take a look, as
>> the code is remarkably small, fast, free of any HTML/compatibility
>> nuances, but still leverages the full power of the most advanced GUI
>> available... a web browser, an excellent language... python, and a
>> competent widget library based on GWT. *it's a fully client side
>> javascript (or python-DOM) application requiring nothing from the
>> server (or a local daemon...) other than JSON-RPC endpoints, which can
>> be implemented in any language.
>> [...]
>
> Just out of curiosity, how will this accommodate links/lynx or
> brltty/espeak/etc. users?

it would not i suppose -- someone else would need to create a front
end that renders static HTML. the rest of the code and library could
be reused... i don't have much interest in implementing that, but i do
plan to work on a CLI interface once other aspects have been
completed, so that would be an option too.

the frontends speak with a local JSON-RPC daemon, so really it can be
anything (in fact one of my super secret awesomo goals is to wire a
visualizer to the daemon once it's distributed, and visualize the
Archlinux network).

i'm about to have a whole lotta time freed up, so i'll finally be able
to work on this again... this project's on my mind everyday and it
annoys me when i can't work on it :-)

C Anthony

Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:33 AM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Alexander Duscheleit
> <jinks@archlinux.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:12:46 -0600
>> C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me> wrote:

>>> i haven't made any release or update to BBS (or README :-) in some
>>> time, but a fair amount of work + thought has gone into this. *if
>>> you'd like, check out the 'pmvc-refactor' branch here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/extofme/aur-pyjs/tree/pmvc-refactor
>>>
>>> it will be the path forward, and is based on the lightweight puremvc
>>> framework to add a little sanity. *i encourage you to take a look, as
>>> the code is remarkably small, fast, free of any HTML/compatibility
>>> nuances, but still leverages the full power of the most advanced GUI
>>> available... a web browser, an excellent language... python, and a
>>> competent widget library based on GWT. *it's a fully client side
>>> javascript (or python-DOM) application requiring nothing from the
>>> server (or a local daemon...) other than JSON-RPC endpoints, which can
>>> be implemented in any language.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, how will this accommodate links/lynx or
>> brltty/espeak/etc. users?
>
> it would not i suppose -- someone else would need to create a front
> end that renders static HTML. *the rest of the code and library could
> be reused... i don't have much interest in implementing that, but i do
> plan to work on a CLI interface once other aspects have been
> completed, so that would be an option too.
>
> the frontends speak with a local JSON-RPC daemon, so really it can be
> anything (in fact one of my super secret awesomo goals is to wire a
> visualizer to the daemon once it's distributed, and visualize the
> Archlinux network).
>
> i'm about to have a whole lotta time freed up, so i'll finally be able
> to work on this again... this project's on my mind everyday and it
> annoys me when i can't work on it :-)
>
> C Anthony

If you guys are willing to work on any part of the code in the aur,
there are 3 things that I have always found missing in the aur which I
think are essential.

FS#15043 - Need better parsing of PKGBUILDs
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15043?project=2
Does this need explaining? It's also pretty annoying.
There are tons of examples on the aur where download sources are like
http://foo.com/foo-{pkgver:0:5.tar.gz
The above example isn't the only thing that is bad at being parsed,
check out bug report for full details.

FS#16394 - Split Packages in AUR
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16394?project=2
Obviously things like mesa would greatly benefit from this. Also would
allow us to remove a lot of redundant packages.

FS#21600 - canonical links
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21600?project=2
Although this isn't a necessity, and should probably get low priority,
I think this would be a nice addition. It would make links to the aur
human understandable.

Well hope you take what I said into some consideration.
Cheers!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Tomás Acauan Schertel

Hi guys.
We decided keep our AUR2 development and in same time help current AUR.
Besides that, we gonna try close bug reports on flyspray.

We'll be glad if others join us in this effort.
Everyone is invited to send me an email if want to help or just see
what are we doing.