-   -   Patent protection (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/463200-patent-protection.html)

"Armando M. Baratti" 12-08-2010 08:47 PM

Patent protection

Probably many of you know about the acquisition of 882 of Novell's
patents by a Microsoft organized consortium [1].

What you may not know is that, as Novell was part of OIN (Open Invention
Network), those that join OIN *before* the closing date for the
acquisition (about january 23) will be protected from any harassment
regarding these patents.

This [2] Groklaw's article explains it in more detail.

It works because the patents are granted perpetually to OIN members that
have jointed before the closing date, even in the case of a sell (like
occurred in this case).

You don't need to have patents or be a company to join (for free) OIN.
Any project (like Arch Linux), or even an individual can do it.

I understand that *if* MS will use them, it'll be with the big guys (or
at least some company). Probably they will prefer to use the patents
just for FUD.

But OTOH we have nothing to loose (not even patents :-), and it's free.

[1]
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20101124103213556

[2] http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20101206205654916

Armando

Kaiting Chen 12-08-2010 09:04 PM

Patent protection

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Armando M. Baratti <
ambaratti.listas@gmail.com> wrote:

> What you may not know is that, as Novell was part of OIN (Open Invention
> Network), those that join OIN *before* the closing date for the acquisition
> (about january 23) will be protected from any harassment regarding these
> patents.
> This [2] Groklaw's article explains it in more detail.
>
> It works because the patents are granted perpetually to OIN members that
> have jointed before the closing date, even in the case of a sell (like
> occurred in this case).
>
> You don't need to have patents or be a company to join (for free) OIN. Any
> project (like Arch Linux), or even an individual can do it.

I could be totally wrong here, but as far as I know "Arch Linux" doesn't
actually exist as a legal entity. I haven't had time to read the linked
articles, but if this is the case would it even be possible for us to join
the OIN? --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Sven-Hendrik Haase 12-08-2010 09:09 PM

Patent protection

On 08.12.2010 23:04, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Armando M. Baratti <
> ambaratti.listas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What you may not know is that, as Novell was part of OIN (Open Invention
>> Network), those that join OIN *before* the closing date for the acquisition
>> (about january 23) will be protected from any harassment regarding these
>> patents.
>> This [2] Groklaw's article explains it in more detail.
>>
>> It works because the patents are granted perpetually to OIN members that
>> have jointed before the closing date, even in the case of a sell (like
>> occurred in this case).
>>
>> You don't need to have patents or be a company to join (for free) OIN. Any
>> project (like Arch Linux), or even an individual can do it.
>>
> I could be totally wrong here, but as far as I know "Arch Linux" doesn't
> actually exist as a legal entity. I haven't had time to read the linked
> articles, but if this is the case would it even be possible for us to join
> the OIN? --Kaiting.

I was contacted about my distro (live.linux-gamers.net) by OIN and now a
member now. Apparently it works.

Kaiting Chen 12-08-2010 09:14 PM

Patent protection

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:

> > I could be totally wrong here, but as far as I know "Arch Linux" doesn't
> > actually exist as a legal entity. I haven't had time to read the linked
> > articles, but if this is the case would it even be possible for us to
> join
> > the OIN? --Kaiting.
>
> I was contacted about my distro (live.linux-gamers.net) by OIN and now a
> member now. Apparently it works.

Disregard my mail then; I don't really understand these legal matters so
I'll stop talking. But before I do so I want to voice my support for this.
--Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Ionuț Bîru 12-08-2010 09:17 PM

Patent protection

On 12/08/2010 11:47 PM, Armando M. Baratti wrote:

[...]

stop spreading FUD

--
Ionuț