Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
David Rosenstrauch

Default Fluxbox broken when launched via qingy

Not sure what happened, but fluxbox seems to be broken when launched via
qingy. This used to work fine, and I haven't changed anything in my fb
or qingy setups that could account for this. I'm able to launch other
WM's via qingy, and am also able to launch FB via other desktop managers
(e.g., slim) so it's something unique to this combination that's causing
the problem. More details here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=863357

Anyone else seeing this and/or have ideas on how to fix?

TIA,

DR

Old 12-09-2010, 05:48 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 12/08/2010 09:58 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> Anyone else seeing this and/or have ideas on how to fix?

Sorry DR, I still use kdm to launch flux. Hey, while we are on flux, shoot me a
copy of your startup file so I can see how you are doing things on Arch. I have
just bandaided my old one and am interested in a comparison. Here is my current:

#!/bin/sh
#
# fluxbox startup-script:
#
# Lines starting with a '#' are ignored.

# Change your keymap:
xmodmap "/home/david/.Xmodmap"

# Applications you want to run with fluxbox.
# MAKE SURE THAT APPS THAT KEEP RUNNING HAVE AN '&' AT THE END.
#
# unclutter -idle 2 &
# wmnd &
# wmsmixer -w &
# idesk &

## dcr Configuration

## Make GTK apps look and behave how they were set up in the gnome config tools
## first lets try gconfd-2.0, then if it doesn't work, enable gsd

if test -x /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon >/dev/null; then
/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon &
fi

## start the parcellite clipboard manager
if which parcellite >/dev/null; then
$(which parcellite) &
fi

## Give yourself a volume control app, kmix works about as good as anything else

if which /opt/kde/bin/kmix >/dev/null; then
[[ $volset -eq 0 ]] && $(which /opt/kde/bin/kmix) &
fi

## If present, start the greatest application & second brain ever coded
if which basket >/dev/null; then
$(which basket) -h &
fi

##** xscreensaver commented due to gnome screensaver executed by
gnome-settings-daemon
#

## Synaptic touchpad 1.5 second delay after typing
if which tpad >/dev/null; then
$(which tpad)
fi

## kde3 knemo
if which kcmshell >/dev/null; then
$(which kcmshell) /opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kcm_knemo
fi

# test setting wp before starting flux
fbsetbg ~/img/abstract/scene/dark_glass_1440.jpg &

# And last but not least we start fluxbox.
# Because it is the last app you have to run it with 'exec' before it.

exec fluxbox

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
David Rosenstrauch

Anyone else seeing this and/or have ideas on how to fix?

Sorry DR, I still use kdm to launch flux. Hey, while we are on flux, shoot me a
copy of your startup file so I can see how you are doing things on Arch. I have
just bandaided my old one and am interested in a comparison. Here is my current:

??? Not sure what startup script you're referring to. I just call
/usr/bin/startfluxbox.

DR

Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 12/09/2010 09:09 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 01:48 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> On 12/08/2010 09:58 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone else seeing this and/or have ideas on how to fix?
>>>

>> Sorry DR, I still use kdm to launch flux. Hey, while we are on flux, shoot me a
>> copy of your startup file so I can see how you are doing things on Arch. I have
>> just bandaided my old one and am interested in a comparison. Here is my current:
>
> ??? Not sure what startup script you're referring to. I just call
> /usr/bin/startfluxbox.
>
> DR

Oops, sorry, I meant ~/.fluxbox/startup where you can customize what apps are
run at fluxbox start (volume control, mixer, network monitor, background, etc..)
There are quite a few ways to tweak the desktop so it loads with just what you
want in your session.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 12-13-2010, 02:37 AM
David Rosenstrauch

Anyone else seeing this and/or have ideas on how to fix?

Sorry DR, I still use kdm to launch flux. Hey, while we are on flux, shoot me a
copy of your startup file so I can see how you are doing things on Arch. I have
just bandaided my old one and am interested in a comparison. Here is my current:

??? Not sure what startup script you're referring to. I just call
/usr/bin/startfluxbox.

DR

Oops, sorry, I meant ~/.fluxbox/startup where you can customize what apps are
run at fluxbox start (volume control, mixer, network monitor, background, etc..)
There are quite a few ways to tweak the desktop so it loads with just what you
want in your session.

Ah. No point in sending you mine, then. I've never touched that file,
so it's either missing or has default settings.

DR

Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 12/12/2010 09:37 PM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Ah. No point in sending you mine, then. I've never touched that file, so it's
> either missing or has default settings.

Ah,

But the next time you say, "Hmm... I wish I could load that at fluxbox start --
you know where to put it so it does :-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC