Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default Could python2 be breaking genpkgmetadata.py?

Guys,

I'm using yum-createrepo 0.9.8-3 on from AUR and suddenly my createrepo updates
on my Arch server are failing with the following error:

23:22 nirvana:/home/backup/rpms> sudo createrepo --update -d openSUSE_11.3/
File "/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py", line 189
print thing
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Nothing with createrepo has changed, could this be a python/python2 bug? I have
both the following installed:

python 3.1.2-2
python2 2.7-3

Should I have both installed? I've also posted to the rpm-metadata list to see
if they have identified an issue with the genpkgmetadata.py script. The relevant
lines in the python script are:

class MDCallBack(object):
"""cli callback object for createrepo"""
def errorlog(self, thing):
"""error log output"""
print >> sys.stderr, thing

def log(self, thing):
"""log output"""
print thing

def progress(self, item, current, total):
"""progress bar"""
beg = "%*d/%d - " % (len(str(total)), current, total)
left = 80 - len(beg)
sys.stdout.write("
%s%-*.*s" % (beg, left, left, item))
sys.stdout.flush()

Which since I don't know python -- it might as well be Greek. But from the
error, I can tell it chokes on the line "print thing"... whatever that thing is.

Anybody have any info on any problems caused by recent python changes?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Gergely Imreh

On 12 November 2010 13:32, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> * * * *I'm using yum-createrepo 0.9.8-3 on from AUR and suddenly my createrepo updates
> on my Arch server are failing with the following error:
>
> 23:22 nirvana:/home/backup/rpms> sudo createrepo --update -d openSUSE_11.3/
> *File "/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py", line 189
> * *print thing
> * * * * * * *^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Not bug, change.
Print is now a function in Python 3, i.e. one has to use print(thing)
instead of the previous form.
http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/whatsnew/3.0.html

Most likely either change the call in beginning of the script to
python2 instead of python, or roll up the sleeves and start converting
to the new version (python 2to3 should help
http://docs.python.org/library/2to3.html )

Cheers,
Greg