Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
John Reiser

Default User Experience improvements for Anaconda

On 11/15/2010 01:16 AM, Martin Sivak wrote:

> Anaconda populates transaction with all required packages and invokes Yum backend.
> Package download and install are then done through Yum. I agree the install time
> and memory requirement could be lower, but it is mostly not on our side to fix.

The installer is responsible for the user experience during install.
If the tools are broken, then fix them; else get better tools.

After install, "yum update" fetches [downloads] all .rpms before
updating anything. During install by anaconda, the fetching
[downloading] of each .rpm occurs immediately before the install
of that .rpm. Therefore anaconda controls at least some part of
how yum works. If the current choices give poor performance,
then change those choices. One such change would be to help
yum pipeline and parallelize [one of the modes of] its operation;
for example, by implementing some derived classes that specialize
the installer's particular usage.
If that does not work, then choose something other than yum.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Dennis!

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 13:54 -0500, Dennis Gregorovic wrote:
> A related feature request that I am hoping to propose for F15 is
> MultiSpin Installation. This is essentially the ability to have
> multiple spins on the same ISO, using a single installable image. I've
> started on the feature page but haven't gotten too far.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MultiSpinInstallation
>
> I say that this is related to the use experience improvements in that
> MultiSpin Installation would require a screen asking the user which spin
> to install. We would want that screen to be considered in the design
> work.

I think anything reducing the amount of media needed for install is a
great idea

That being said, I have a couple of (what I hope are) user-centric
questions about the usage of the proposed feature:

- Can only one spin be selected for install off of a particular
multi-spin install disc (or USB key)?

- If I pick 1 spin during install, and want to install an additional
spin post-install (e.g., I picked 'electronics spin' initially, then I
decided I wanted the security spin as well), is it possible?

~m

Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Radek,

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 14:11 +0100, Radek Vykydal wrote:
> On 11/12/2010 05:19 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > I think the next logical step is to examine the current state of our
> > installation process, identifying the issues we see today, and
> > brainstorming ways to improve the experience of installing Fedora.

> here is some update on anaconda networking UI and repository UI
> from my side.

Awesome, thanks for the great writeup + screencasts!

> 1) network configuration/enablement:
>
> I posted some patches integrating NetworkManger Applet
> into anaconda. They follow addition of NetworkManager Connection Editor
> in F14:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-November/msg00144.html
> (screencasts included)
>
> The patchset is introducing (as a requirement) a panel which, I guess, would
> change a lot about what we can and need to do wrt new anaconda UI design.

Is there any room to change how this works in Anaconda? I have a few
usability concerns regarding the way it appears in the screencast; I
have some ideas on how to improve the workflow but I don't know how
invasive they may be. If you're willing though, we could hash it back
and forth a bit to see if we can improve it.

To explain the usability concerns I have, let me walk through one of the
screencasts you provided on the newer mailing list post:

Case:
User wants to complete an install using a network repository.

* 1 - The messaging regarding the network connection requirement occurs
on the installation target device screen.

I think this could be a bit misleading, as it makes it seem that either
(a) a network connection is required to choose an install target in this
case or (b) a network connection is required to move forward in the
installer, but we don't know what the next step is and we don't appear
to be given a choice to opt-out of it to continue without network.

* 2 - Doesn't appear to have a way to opt-out.

I may just be missing something (maybe outside of the context of the
screencast this is clearer) but it seems as if install cannot continue
without that network connection. I think there should be a way to move
forward without the network connection.

* 3 - The icon to turn on the network connection is unlabeled, maybe
22x22 px... it doesn't stand out very much.

I think having a panel in the installer is weird, and in this case it's
also fairly inconspicuous because the installer is the same color as the
panel. The pop-up dialog doesn't explain to the user where on the screen
to go or what to do in order to configure the network. The icon also
isn't really clear - the artwork is posed as more of a status icon than
an action icon.

* 4 - Little metadata is provided to the user

Which feature requires the network connection? What repos will I gain
access to if I go to the trouble of configuring the network? It's not
really clear in the messaging.

When (in the workflow of anaconda) do you think it makes the most sense
to turn on the network? What selection in the UI caused the network
requirement message to pop up? I think perhaps the ideal time to prompt
the user to configure the network is when they opt-in to use a feature
that requires the network, but I don't know when they are doing that in
this screencast. I think rather than asking the user to go off and do it
via the icon, it might be better to offer right inside the alert dialog
to pop open the configuration dialog for the user. Something like,

"You need a network connection to enable the installation of updated
packages via a network.

[ Skip ] [ Configure Network ]"

> 2) proposition of repository UI change:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-September/msg00181.html
> (with screencasts)
>
> This is more FYI. I'm not very optimistic about this change going into
> anaconda.
> Probably the repo UI (and offered functionality) will be changed more
> fundamentally.

Yeh it does seem like it needs more fundamental changes! E.g., in this
particular screencast:
http://rvykydal.fedorapeople.org/repoUI/example1patched.ogg

When the error condition is hit, the user is asked if they would like
to:
[exit] [edit] [retry] [debug]

Exit doesn't seem like a smart choice because you can't move forward
without resolving the problem and exiting won't fix it.

Edit is the right choice to fix it although it seems a circuitous route.
Why not have a button, "Disable repo" or "Skip repo" so the user can
move forward without going back to the repo config screen again?

> > - This week I created screen-by-screen walkthroughs of the Live Media
> > install process in F14
> > (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/F14_Live_Media_Install ) and
> > the DVD install process as well
> > (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/F14_DVD_Install ). I also put
> > together a comparison chart of the two methods -
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign/Current_Install_Process_Analysis
> >
> Network configuration is missing there, which I understand as it has been
> changing recently. I'd only note that in Live CD it is not available
> because the configuration should be done within the Live CD (not inastaller)
> environment. It complies with my last patchset using NM applet in panel
> which would be started only in non-LiveCD case.

Great point. I did add network configuration as a row towards the top of
the Current_Install_Process_Analysis wiki page table, and I noted it's
done through the live environment on LiveCD, and done via the
NetworkManager panel in Anaconda for the DVD column.

I hope this all makes sense; what do you think?

~M

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Bill Nottingham

Dennis Gregorovic (dgregor@redhat.com) said:
> A related feature request that I am hoping to propose for F15 is
> MultiSpin Installation. This is essentially the ability to have
> multiple spins on the same ISO, using a single installable image. I've
> started on the feature page but haven't gotten too far.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MultiSpinInstallation

The EMEA people worked on a version of this for F-14; it didn't
have 'minimal duplication', though. Might want to see what they
were doing.

Of course, there's tangential discussion as to what we should do with
spins entirely.

Bill

Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Dennis Gregorovic

> Dennis Gregorovic (dgregor@redhat.com) said:
> > A related feature request that I am hoping to propose for F15 is
> > MultiSpin Installation. This is essentially the ability to have
> > multiple spins on the same ISO, using a single installable image. I've
> > started on the feature page but haven't gotten too far.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MultiSpinInstallation
>
> The EMEA people worked on a version of this for F-14; it didn't
> have 'minimal duplication', though. Might want to see what they
> were doing.

I looked into it briefly, skimming their email archives. As a result of
the duplication, their version would require a dual layer DVD, which I
believe is a significant drawback. On the other hand, their approach
handles Live images, whereas mine probably would not. So, I think there
is opportunity for both approaches.

> Of course, there's tangential discussion as to what we should do with
> spins entirely.

I wasn't aware of this. I'll keep a closer eye on this.

Thanks
-- Dennis

Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Martin Gracik

Hi,

I'd like to share some of my ideas of this redesign. They are mostly about firstboot, but I think that's a part of the install process too, and some of them may concern anaconda too.
I'm usually in minority with my ideas about how things should work and look, but I'm still trying, so here they are.

1) I would like to get rid of the left panel in firstboot showing the steps with the background, and instead show steps count in bottom part of the screen.
This steps count can also be in anaconda in the same place, to make both applications look similar.

2) Instead of the background, and the big logo on top of the screen in anaconda, I think it would be better to just have a small decent logo in the bottom left part of the screen.
I know marketing people may not agree with me, but when I'm installing fedora, I already downloaded it, so they got me, and I know what I'm installing, so I don't have to have the logo in my face all the time, at the top of the screen, which is the place I look at first. I think more important parts with which I interact should be there instead.
Again this can be consistent in anaconda and firstboot too.

Next point only applies to firstboot...

3) I would like to disable fullscreen in firstboot. Honestly I think no one will agree with me on this, but it's my opinion. For me, after rebooting the system, if the firstboot is not fullscreen, but instead centered and with window decorations, I can _feel_ that the installation has moved somewhere already, I see that I already have some window manager running, and I can see decorations, and background image, this makes me feel better, than seeing another fullscreen app, which bothers me with more questions.
This also has more advantages. First people are getting bigger and bigger screens now, and you can imagine how firstboot looks at 2560x1600 resolution screens. I have to move my mouse over 1m to get from a text entry to the Forward button, if not using keyboard shortcuts. Also most of the screen is just empty and grey. Of course we can't fill it all up with widgets, because that would make it confusing.
Another advantage I like about this, is that the window will have the [X] close button on top. In my opinion we should let the user close firstboot, if he wishes to. We can show a confirmation dialog, with something like "if you don't finish these steps, your system may not function properly, are you sure?", so nobody closes it accidentaly, but if someone knows what he's doing, we don't bother him with filling up all the entries.

This leads me to a decision, which audience we want to target. Do we want to target mostly users who have bought their first computer, and we want to guide them by hand, and _force_ them to do every step, so they don't get hurt. In this case we should remove some of the advanced settings, and make it nice and simple. Or are we targeting a little more experienced users, and we are confident, that they have at least a little idea of what is going on during the install, and can decide what steps to take, and which to skip. In this case I think the screens may be a little more complicated, with more choices, so it's up to the user to decide which he needs, and which he doesn't.

I made a mockup of how I imagine new firstboot, with the create user module visible. You can see it here http://mgracik.fedorapeople.org/firstboot.png

It's not perfect, but you can see the main ideas.

That's all for now.

--

Martin Gracik

Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Radek Vykydal

Is there any room to change how this works in Anaconda? I have a few
usability concerns regarding the way it appears in the screencast; I
have some ideas on how to improve the workflow but I don't know how
invasive they may be. If you're willing though, we could hash it back
and forth a bit to see if we can improve it.

Sure, I'll be glad to. On IRC, by email...
Thanks for your feedback!

To explain the usability concerns I have, let me walk through one of the
screencasts you provided on the newer mailing list post:

Case:
User wants to complete an install using a network repository.

Now I see that this example was a bad choice from me.
It is a particular case of repository UI concerning base repository
(base repository setup is happening before user is presented
with repo setup screen) which has its problems - and you described
them exactly in your points *1 - *4). I'd like to discuss them separately
from the question of NM Applet/panel using for which I'd like to refer
to the iscsi use case (the second one I posted) and this, more typical
repo UI case:
http://rvykydal.fedorapeople.org/repo-network-enablement2.ogg

* 1 - The messaging regarding the network connection requirement occurs
on the installation target device screen.

I think this could be a bit misleading, as it makes it seem that either
(a) a network connection is required to choose an install target in this
case or (b) a network connection is required to move forward in the
installer, but we don't know what the next step is and we don't appear
to be given a choice to opt-out of it to continue without network.

* 2 - Doesn't appear to have a way to opt-out.

I may just be missing something (maybe outside of the context of the
screencast this is clearer) but it seems as if install cannot continue
without that network connection. I think there should be a way to move
forward without the network connection.

As I said, I'd like to discuss the oddities (including *1, *2)
of the base repo UI case separately, in context of my point
2) "proposition of repository UI change" which attempts to fix them in a way
(and I'll use your remarks as an additional ammo to push the changes

* 3 - The icon to turn on the network connection is unlabeled, maybe
22x22 px... it doesn't stand out very much.

I think having a panel in the installer is weird, and in this case it's
also fairly inconspicuous because the installer is the same color as the
panel. The pop-up dialog doesn't explain to the user where on the screen
to go or what to do in order to configure the network. The icon also
isn't really clear - the artwork is posed as more of a status icon than
an action icon.

The problem is that the only sane way to use NM Applet
in anaconda is to use it as it is used in desktop (GNOME) environment
- as a status icon in systray (with the same icon, balloon, etc...),
that means - in the panel (BTW, in desktop it is used for network
enablement - action - too). It can even be looked at as a plus point
- being consistent with the desktop, though not for new users probably.

Having said that, my crucial question is: is it acceptable to use panel
in installer from your point of view? I imagine its use brings limits
and restrictions for UI design, but on the other hand it can give us
also some new options (persistent space for displaying status of
installation / steps / whatever crazy stuff).

I configured the color of the panel to be as little
distinguishable as possible on purpose, but it was just my feeling,
I have no problem to configure it according to your advice. Hopefully
we'll be able to configure the panel to fit into anaconda UI design.

* 4 - Little metadata is provided to the user

Which feature requires the network connection? What repos will I gain
access to if I go to the trouble of configuring the network? It's not
really clear in the messaging.

I'll comment it in context of my point 2)

When (in the workflow of anaconda) do you think it makes the most sense
to turn on the network? What selection in the UI caused the network
requirement message to pop up? I think perhaps the ideal time to prompt
the user to configure the network is when they opt-in to use a feature
that requires the network, but I don't know when they are doing that in
this screencast.

Again it is the particularity of this case, please see iscsi example,
and the new repo example above, where the context should be clearer.
If you still think it is not clear enough, I see no problem in having
specific

message for each network enablement pop-up dialog (iscsi, repo,..)

I think rather than asking the user to go off and do it
via the icon, it might be better to offer right inside the alert dialog
to pop open the configuration dialog for the user. Something like,

"You need a network connection to enable the installation of updated
packages via a network.

[ Skip ] [ Configure Network ]"

Unfortunately, this is almost impossible to do for technical
reasons - as I said above, we have to use the applet as it is.
The applet brings (in its popup menus) a bunch of functionality
we need to have in anaconda additionaly to n-m-ce (Connection Editor,
which is invoked from applet with right click -> Edit Connections...),
and which I attempted to bring in before using NM Applet (there
were links to pre-NM Applet approach) ending up by duplicating
its functionality in anaconda in inevitably hacky ways.

What we can do is to give some hint to use the icon/applet
for the configuration in the pop-up dialog. And maybe also in
the hostname screen which would be the place where we'd
suggest the possibility/option of network configuration.

2) proposition of repository UI change:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-September/msg00181.html
(with screencasts)

This is more FYI. I'm not very optimistic about this change going into
anaconda.
Probably the repo UI (and offered functionality) will be changed more
fundamentally.

Yeh it does seem like it needs more fundamental changes! E.g., in this
particular screencast:
http://rvykydal.fedorapeople.org/repoUI/example1patched.ogg

When the error condition is hit, the user is asked if they would like

to:
[exit] [edit] [retry] [debug]

Exit doesn't seem like a smart choice because you can't move forward
without resolving the problem and exiting won't fix it.

Here "Exit from installer" is meant.

Edit is the right choice to fix it although it seems a circuitous route.
Why not have a button, "Disable repo" or "Skip repo" so the user can
move forward without going back to the repo config screen again?

Yes, good idea, I was thinking about having this option additionally
to 'Edit' (with 'Edit' - user can not only disable the repo, but he can
also for example correct bad URL)

Sorry for not being concrete, by fundamental changes I meant
for example use of add-on repos (repos dependent on a base repo),
or completely removing package selection.

If you don't mind, I'd like to discuss the point 2) separately and later.
Unfortunately, I am not able to merge my 2 patches (NM Applet introduction
and repo UI change) to bring screencast of both changes now.

Also I noticed that some links ([3]) in this email:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-September/msg00181.html
were wrong, here are the right links:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-November/msg00164.html
Sorry for the confusion.

Great point. I did add network configuration as a row towards the top of
the Current_Install_Process_Analysis wiki page table, and I noted it's
done through the live environment on LiveCD, and done via the
NetworkManager panel in Anaconda for the DVD column.

Thanks for doing that, for your ideas and comments.
I hope I am not too developer-blinded in my comments,
ask for clarifications!

Radek

Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Chris Lumens

Here are my thoughts on the points raised by the live CD walkthrough
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/F14_Live_Media_Install). At some
point I will look at the other pages and also come up with some thoughts
of my own about what should be done with the UI. I just wanted to first
answer some of the questions and explain what's going on right now.

Syslinux
========
- As mentioned on #anaconda, let's just kill the "Boot from local disk"/"Exit
installer" option.

GDM Automatic Login Screen
==========================
- Screenshot isn't present.
- I don't think we really do any GDM configuration here. It's just whatever
is shipped as part of the gdm package. We can probably take care of the
automatic login part in anaconda, but other UI improvements will need to go
into the package.

Click to Install Icon
=====================
- We like the livecd to look as much like a regular system as possible, which
is why it looks this way. There's the icon on the screen and also a menu
option.

Anaconda Screen 1
=================
- Already gone.

Keyboard Screen
===============
- Ideally we'd treat this like language - remove it entirely and either use
what was set up in GDM or from running the system configuration tool. Failing
that...
- Shortening the list is probably not the direction people want us to go. We
get bugs all the time about adding even more keyboard layouts.
- I don't think it has search or type-ahead, but that could be added.
- "latin1" is the variant for a particular layout. I think it means something
to people who know what they want.

Basic or Specialized
====================
- It already defaults to basic, hence the radio button.
- We can't let you decide this later. This will decide what storage devices
you want anaconda to look at, and that affects install vs. upgrade, what
devices are used for partitioning, and where the bootloader goes. It
basically blinds anaconda to all other devices.

Hostname
========
- This is the network hostname, which you'll see from the "hostname" command
and if you ever attempt to access the computer via ssh, http, etc.
- "Configure Network" allows bringing up the network if you want to install
from a network source and make sure the network is enabled after you reboot.
It's the equivalent of firing off the nm-applet up in the top right corner.
It's probably shaded out for the same reason nm-applet isn't enabled either.
- If your local name server has a name for your computer, anaconda will fill
that in as a suggestion. Unfortunately, you don't appear to have any
networking at all here.
- This screen is a whole lot of grey and I'd love to merge it with another one
or kill it outright.

Timezone
========
- This has totally changed around for F15 already. It's worth reinvestigating
there.

Root Password
=============
- It will warn you after you hit Next if your password fails for various
reasons (length, strength, type of characters, etc.). We could do that as
you type as well. That already exists in firstboot so doing it in anaconda
is consistent.
- This screen is also a whole lot of grey and is just asking to be merged or
killed.

Installation hard drive pattern selection
- There's already one picked for you, hence the radio button. If you don't
know what you want, think about what you've got installed on the system and
compare it to the descriptions of what each one does.

Partition layout
================
- Partitioning is hard and requires a lot of UI to work. While we can be doing
a better job, it's never going to be a super easy process. Luckily, it's
entirely optional and you can choose to just take the defaults.

Bootloader
==========
- I'd love to kill or rework this screen too.

Install
=======
- We certainly can bring back the ransom notes. I think the never-changing
image is boring. All we need is images.

Firstboot splash
================
- If it's not been killed already, it should go.

License Information
===================
- As long as Legal requires it, yes it needs to stay. If you want to do
something here, please talk to them about it first.

Date and Time
=============
- I believe this comes from a system-config tool just being wrapped by
firstboot. So, we need to direct comments there. It's likely not designed
to be wrapped like this, though. At the least we need to kill the pointless
tab.

- Chris

Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 PM

> Root Password
> =============
> - It will warn you after you hit Next if your password fails for various
> reasons (length, strength, type of characters, etc.). We could do that as
> you type as well. That already exists in firstboot so doing it in anaconda
> is consistent.
> - This screen is also a whole lot of grey and is just asking to be merged or
> killed.

Okay, fine, I'll go ahead and suggest it.

Why don't we remove this screen entirely? Lock the root account by
default, force creation of a new user, and set that user up with sudo
access. We can preserve the root password command in kickstart.

- Chris

Old 11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Radek Vykydal

- This is the network hostname, which you'll see from the "hostname" command
and if you ever attempt to access the computer via ssh, http, etc.
- "Configure Network" allows bringing up the network if you want to install
from a network source and make sure the network is enabled after you reboot.
It's the equivalent of firing off the nm-applet up in the top right corner.

Unfortunately is equivalent to right click NM Applet -> Edit Connections...
We are missing the other stuff from NM Applet.

It's probably shaded out for the same reason nm-applet isn't enabled either.

My plan is: no network configuration in anaconda for Live CD,
configure or bring it up/down it in the LiveCD environment.
It is working by coincidence now, the button is grayed-out
because there are no ifcfg files in Live CD env.

Radek