-   -   APM and GNOME (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/448930-apm-gnome.html)

Rafael Beraldo 11-06-2010 01:35 PM

APM and GNOME

Hello people,

A few months ago I wrote about my hard disk, which was making a strange
noise due to excessive head parking. I just added hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda to
/etc/rc.local and the problem was gone.

Then I found out that whenever I used gnome-power-manager it would set the
APM to 1 if the power source is the battery. I didn't find a way to instruct
it to leave the APM setting alone, so I avoided using it.

Recently I installed GNOME in my box and noticed that even if I disable
gnome-power-manager at startup, some piece of GNOME is still setting APM to
1 when the netbook is on the battery.

I don't use laptop-mode-tools nor is acpid running which brings me the
question: what is messing up with APM? How can I tell GNOME and
gnome-power-manager not to change its settings?

Thank you,

--
Rafael Beraldo
http://devio.us/~rberaldo/

Ionuț Bîru 11-06-2010 01:44 PM

APM and GNOME

A few months ago I wrote about my hard disk, which was making a strange
noise due to excessive head parking. I just added hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda to
/etc/rc.local and the problem was gone.

Then I found out that whenever I used gnome-power-manager it would set the
APM to 1 if the power source is the battery. I didn't find a way to instruct
it to leave the APM setting alone, so I avoided using it.

Recently I installed GNOME in my box and noticed that even if I disable
gnome-power-manager at startup, some piece of GNOME is still setting APM to
1 when the netbook is on the battery.

I don't use laptop-mode-tools nor is acpid running which brings me the
question: what is messing up with APM? How can I tell GNOME and
gnome-power-manager not to change its settings?

Thank you,

gpm has a setting to spin down hard disks when you are on AC. just
uncheck the option.

System->Preferences->power management-> Select AC Power tab and uncheck
Spin down hard disks when possible

--
Ionuț

Evangelos Foutras 11-06-2010 02:18 PM

APM and GNOME

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Rafael Beraldo <rberaldo@cabaladada.org> wrote:
> *I don't use laptop-mode-tools nor is acpid running which brings me the
> question: what is messing up with APM? How can I tell GNOME and
> gnome-power-manager not to change its settings?

Probably it's pm-utils, and more specifically, the
/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/harddrive script. I had the same problem on
my laptop, and to disable this behavior I created an empty file at
/etc/pm/power.d/harddrive which overrides the script in
/usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d.

Rafael Beraldo 11-06-2010 03:00 PM

APM and GNOME

On 6 November 2010 13:18, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably it's pm-utils, and more specifically, the
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/harddrive script. I had the same problem on
> my laptop, and to disable this behavior I created an empty file at
> /etc/pm/power.d/harddrive which overrides the script in
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d.

That works like a charm! Thank you, Evangelos, Ionuț.

--
Rafael Beraldo
http://devio.us/~rberaldo/