Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM
"Christian"

Default A question about running Proftpd

Hi all,
Have just installed ProfTPD and if I run /etc/rc.d/proftpd start as root it stats just fine.
In /etc/proftpd.conf it says to run the server as the group nobody and the user nobody. I am just wondering what system level it's running on? Is the server now running as root or what privilegies does it have to the system?
I suppose it is not running as the root user then?
Many thanks for any info,
Christian

Old 10-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Cédric Girard

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Have just installed ProfTPD and if I run /etc/rc.d/proftpd start as root it
> stats just fine.
> In /etc/proftpd.conf it says to run the server as the group nobody and the
> user nobody. I am just wondering what system level it's running on? Is the
> server now running as root or what privilegies does it have to the system?
> I suppose it is not running as the root user then?
> Many thanks for any info,
> Christian

"ps aux | grep proftpd" will tell you which user is running proftpd.
As stated in the conf file, it should drop privileges on start to run as the
user currently configured in this file. And it does that. Here is the output
of ps:

nobody 19657 0.0 0.0 49924 1964 ? Ss 15:17 0:00 proftpd:
(accepting connections)

--
Cédric Girard