Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default New nvidia driver - video mode not recognized - remove vga= from kernel line?

Guys,

To add to the nvidia issues, after update to the latest driver (nvidia
260.19.12-1) the machine stops during boot due to (Invalid video mode, press
enter to see list....)

Pressing enter then lists the available modes. However, when I enter one of the
listed modes, it is rejected and I get prompted again with the (Invalid video
mode, press enter to see list....).

I don't know whether this is a bug, a KMS thing, or what, but I have never had
any problems passing vga=0x31a on the kernel line with the nvidia driver before.
(I know with ATI, KMS early is recommended, and no vga= on the kernel line)

Is anybody else seeing this? Should I just remove the vga= line?

After letting the (Invalid video mode, press enter to see list....) prompt
time-out, it all continues fine and the nvidia driver loads without issue. What
say the experts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Wed, 27 Oct 2010 21:36:52 -0500
schrieb "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com>:

> Guys,
>
> To add to the nvidia issues, after update to the latest
> driver (nvidia 260.19.12-1) the machine stops during boot due to
> (Invalid video mode, press enter to see list....)
>
> Pressing enter then lists the available modes. However, when
> I enter one of the listed modes, it is rejected and I get prompted
> again with the (Invalid video mode, press enter to see list....).
>
> I don't know whether this is a bug, a KMS thing, or what, but
> I have never had any problems passing vga=0x31a on the kernel line
> with the nvidia driver before. (I know with ATI, KMS early is
> recommended, and no vga= on the kernel line)
>
> Is anybody else seeing this? Should I just remove the vga=
> line?
>
> After letting the (Invalid video mode, press enter to see
> list....) prompt time-out, it all continues fine and the nvidia
> driver loads without issue. What say the experts?

There's an option to scanning your video card for valid values. If I
recall correctly you just can enter "scan" at that prompt. Then you can
set vga= to one of the possible values.

But if you're using KMS you need to remove the vga kernel parameter. If
you don't want to use KMS, add the kernel parameters vga and nomodeset.

Heiko

Old 10-28-2010, 04:15 AM
Robert Howard

I believe this is occurring before the nvidia driver gets involved. Have you
tried downgrading nvidia?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 10/27/2010 11:15 PM, Robert Howard wrote:
> I believe this is occurring before the nvidia driver gets involved. Have you
> tried downgrading nvidia?

Not yet, but I don't know what else could have caused this. I have used scan
(same thing as just pressing enter) and I get about 50 valid modes to enter.
Everything thing from vga to 1920x1200. I have tried entering the listed modes
(e.g. 31A) and it just gives me the same 'invalid mode' prompt.

I've been through the KMS page that just refers you to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA for nvidia cards. This card is an
8800GT so I have always used:

# pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils

to install the driver and I've never had any issues. I haven't specifically set
anything for KMS with nvidia boxes. So I'm at a loss at what changed.

The problem I have is that I don't know what process does the mode check and
then throws the invalid mode error? Is it a kernel process, nvidia driver
process. (I suspect a driver process since it is setting the framebuffer, but I
could be totally wrong)

I'm open to all suggestions. I'll give the downgrade a try tomorrow or Friday
when I get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Dan Vrátil

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 21:36:52 -0500, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> To add to the nvidia issues, after update to the latest driver (nvidia
> 260.19.12-1) the machine stops during boot due to (Invalid video mode, press
> enter to see list....)
>
> Pressing enter then lists the available modes. However, when I enter
> one of the
> listed modes, it is rejected and I get prompted again with the (Invalid video
> mode, press enter to see list....).
>
> I don't know whether this is a bug, a KMS thing, or what, but I have
> never had
> any problems passing vga=0x31a on the kernel line with the nvidia
> driver before.
> (I know with ATI, KMS early is recommended, and no vga= on the kernel line)
>
> Is anybody else seeing this? Should I just remove the vga= line?
>
> After letting the (Invalid video mode, press enter to see list....) prompt
> time-out, it all continues fine and the nvidia driver loads without
> issue. What
> say the experts?

Hello David,

this cannot be related to nvidia drivers because of two things: 1) the
drivers are loaded after the kernel boots and 2) the proprietary nvidia
drivers do not support KMS (and according to nvidia they are not going
too in near future).

Make sure, you have nouveau blacklisted
(/etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf) because you don't need it when
you use the proprietary drivers and last time I tested it, it had
problems with the vga boot option.

Dan

Dan Vrátil
vratil@progdansoft.com
Tel: +4202 732 326 870
Jabber: progdan@jabber.cz

Tento email neobsahuje žádné viry, protože odes*latel nepouž*vá
Windows. /
This email does not contain any viruses because the sender does not use
Windows.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Thu, 28 Oct 2010 00:06:53 -0500
schrieb "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com>:

> Not yet, but I don't know what else could have caused this. I have
> used scan (same thing as just pressing enter) and I get about 50
> valid modes to enter. Everything thing from vga to 1920x1200. I have
> tried entering the listed modes (e.g. 31A) and it just gives me the
> same 'invalid mode' prompt.
>
> I've been through the KMS page that just refers you to
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA for nvidia cards. This
> card is an 8800GT so I have always used:
>
> # pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils
>
> to install the driver and I've never had any issues. I haven't
> specifically set anything for KMS with nvidia boxes. So I'm at a loss
> at what changed.
>
> The problem I have is that I don't know what process does the mode
> check and then throws the invalid mode error? Is it a kernel process,
> nvidia driver process. (I suspect a driver process since it is
> setting the framebuffer, but I could be totally wrong)
>
> I'm open to all suggestions. I'll give the downgrade a try tomorrow
> or Friday when I get a chance. Thanks for the suggestions.

This problem has nothing to do with the nvidia driver. The nvidia
driver is only for X.

And entering "scan" at this prompt is not the same as just pressing
Enter. Enter shows you all possible vesa modes. Entering "scan" shows
you only the modes which are valid for your video card.

And you need to decide whether you want to use KMS or not. If you want
to use KMS you need to remove the vga kernel parameter. Otherwise you
need to add the two kernel parameters vga and nomodeset (both of them)
to the kernel line of your bootloader.

Heiko

Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 10/28/2010 04:38 AM, Dan Vrtil wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> this cannot be related to nvidia drivers because of two things: 1) the
> drivers are loaded after the kernel boots and 2) the proprietary nvidia
> drivers do not support KMS (and according to nvidia they are not going
> too in near future).
>
> Make sure, you have nouveau blacklisted
> (/etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf) because you don't need it when
> you use the proprietary drivers and last time I tested it, it had
> problems with the vga boot option.
>
> Dan

Thank you Heika, Attila, Dan,

The mystery still remains. I didn't do it, but noveau was already blacklisted
on my box:

[17:32 archangel:/etc/modprobe.d] # l
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 19 19:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 96 root root 12288 Oct 28 00:49 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 704 Jun 28 08:45 framebuffer_blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 55 Jun 7 2009 modprobe.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18 Oct 18 09:28 nouveau_blacklist.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 196 Sep 18 17:58 usb-load-ehci-first.conf
[17:32 archangel:/etc/modprobe.d] # cat nouveau_blacklist.conf
blacklist nouveau

Also, on the (press enter or scan issue), I'm sure you are 100% correct Heiko,
but no matter whether I press enter or issue scan with this 8800GT, the list of
modes returned is the same. Also, both enter or scan take the same amount of
time to complete -- at least on this box.

If the proprietary driver doesn't support KMS and isn't going to for a while,
then I wonder what changed to make my normal kernel line (that I've used for
years) suddenly start causing the invalid mode error? The kernel line is:

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccajap5 ro vga=0x31a

As a test, I booted LTS with the vga=0x31a and it booted fine and into the
correct framebuffer. So this is looking more and more kernel related.

I have also booted Arch without vga= in the kernel line and I do NOT get the
invalid mode prompt, but then I'm left with a 640x480 framebuffer. That looks
terrible on a 23" display.

Oddly, when I boot with vga= and get the error, somehow after the timeout, I
get the right framebuffer.

I'm stumped. Any idea on "what could have changed?" that could be causing the
mode error?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Norbert Zeh

I do have the /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf file on my machine,
too, but I remember that the nouveau kernel driver did get loaded until
I added !nouveau to the MODULES list in my rc.conf. So

1) Can you do an "lsmod | grep nouveau" to see whether nouveau maybe
still gets loaded. (If so, it might be interesting to learn why
even though the above file is present.)

2) If the answer to (1) is yes, try adding !nouveau to the MODULES list
in rc.conf and see whether this fixes your problem.

Of course, I'm just guessing here.

Cheers,
Norbert

David C. Rankin [2010.10.28 1803 -0500]:

Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca> wrote:

> I do have the /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf file on my
> machine,
> too, but I remember that the nouveau kernel driver did get loaded
> until
> I added !nouveau to the MODULES list in my rc.conf.

I believe the proprietary driver package puts that blacklist file in
place.

See what package owns it with (IIRC):

# pacman -Qm /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf

C Anthony [mobile]

Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:03:09 -0500
schrieb "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com>:

> Also, on the (press enter or scan issue), I'm sure you are
> 100% correct Heiko, but no matter whether I press enter or issue scan
> with this 8800GT, the list of modes returned is the same. Also, both
> enter or scan take the same amount of time to complete -- at least on
> this box.
>
> If the proprietary driver doesn't support KMS and isn't going
> to for a while, then I wonder what changed to make my normal kernel
> line (that I've used for years) suddenly start causing the invalid
> mode error? The kernel line is:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_baaccajap5 ro vga=0x31a
>
> As a test, I booted LTS with the vga=0x31a and it booted fine
> and into the correct framebuffer. So this is looking more and more
> kernel related.

Have you tried to change vga=0x31a to a value which is shown when you
enter scan on the prompt? If not, please, do so. And, please, enter
"scan" and not only press Enter.

Have you added nomodeset to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst? If
not, please, do so.

This has nothing to do with the nvidia and nouveau driver, because at
this time there are no modules loaded.

Please, add both kernel parameters vga= with a valid value and
nomodeset to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

This line has to look like this:
kernel /vmlinuz26 ... nomodeset ... vga=...

> I have also booted Arch without vga= in the kernel line and I
> do NOT get the invalid mode prompt, but then I'm left with a 640x480
> framebuffer. That looks terrible on a 23" display.

If you don't add the vga parameter to the kernel line you don't get a
framebuffer probably except if you are using KMS.

Heiko