Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Nicolas Bigaouette

Default New nvidia driver - video mode not recognized - remove vga= from kernel line?

It might have to do something with a module not being included in the
initrd?
Just guessing...

Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 AM
Dave Reisner

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:36:52PM -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> To add to the nvidia issues, after update to the latest driver (nvidia
> 260.19.12-1) the machine stops during boot due to (Invalid video mode, press
> enter to see list....)
>
> Pressing enter then lists the available modes. However, when I enter one of the
> listed modes, it is rejected and I get prompted again with the (Invalid video
> mode, press enter to see list....).
>
> I don't know whether this is a bug, a KMS thing, or what, but I have never had
> any problems passing vga=0x31a on the kernel line with the nvidia driver before.
> (I know with ATI, KMS early is recommended, and no vga= on the kernel line)
>
> Is anybody else seeing this? Should I just remove the vga= line?
>
> After letting the (Invalid video mode, press enter to see list....) prompt
> time-out, it all continues fine and the nvidia driver loads without issue. What
> say the experts?

Specify the mode as decimal instead of hex -- in this case it'd be 794.

dave reisner

Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 10/28/2010 06:18 PM, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> I do have the /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf file on my machine,
> too, but I remember that the nouveau kernel driver did get loaded until
> I added !nouveau to the MODULES list in my rc.conf. So
>
> 1) Can you do an "lsmod | grep nouveau" to see whether nouveau maybe
> still gets loaded. (If so, it might be interesting to learn why
> even though the above file is present.)

Sure, but I don't have it here:

[02:21 archangel:/etc/clamav] # lsmod | grep nouveau
<nothing>

> 2) If the answer to (1) is yes, try adding !nouveau to the MODULES list
> in rc.conf and see whether this fixes your problem.
>
> Of course, I'm just guessing here.

That's OK, I'll take those to

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 10/28/2010 06:34 PM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca> wrote:
>
>> I do have the /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf file on my
>> machine,
>> too, but I remember that the nouveau kernel driver did get loaded
>> until
>> I added !nouveau to the MODULES list in my rc.conf.
>
> I believe the proprietary driver package puts that blacklist file in
> place.
>
> See what package owns it with (IIRC):
>
> # pacman -Qm /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf
>
> C Anthony [mobile]

[02:23 archangel:/etc/clamav] # pacman -Qo /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf
/etc/modprobe.d/nouveau_blacklist.conf is owned by nvidia 260.19.12-1

You are correct, Sir!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 10/28/2010 06:43 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Have you tried to change vga=0x31a to a value which is shown when you
> enter scan on the prompt? If not, please, do so. And, please, enter
> "scan" and not only press Enter.

Yep, and 31A is show by scan. I've tried others as well. They all just keep
getting rejected for some reason?

I'll try nomodeset and report back.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.