Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Partha Chowdhury

Default Screen goes black after installing latest nvidia driver

Today I updated my desktop which installed latest nvidia - version
260.19.12. When I tried startx, screen went black and the led of the
power button of the monitor kept flashing.After I downgraded the nvidia,
everything went allright.

To be absolutely sure that it is not caused by anything in my system, i
installed arch again on to a new partition and installed the packages.
Same results.

I searched the bug tracker but found nothing.Is anybody experiencing
the same thing ?

My system:
Vga:VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS]
(rev a1)

Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Attila

At Montag, 25. Oktober 2010 15:51 Ionuț Bîru wrote:

> congrats, you found a bug in nvidia driver. I've saw a lot of users
> having this issue on nvidia forum but not a single reply from nvidia devs.

I don't have this problem so saying it is "only" a bug of the driver sounds too
easy for me. Perhaps it would be better if people with this problem compare
their configurations.

> take a look yourself: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

And where is one of this reports? Sorry, but posting no url would be better in
this case.-)

See you, Attila

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Attila

At Montag, 25. Oktober 2010 22:24 Ionuț Bîru wrote:

> maybe you misunderstood me or i suck at explanations. Not all cards are
> affected and even the same chipsets. In some situations, no idea what
> are those, the new nvidia driver doesn't work.
>
> for example there is one guy with sony vaio laptop in the forum which
> has 8400 GT and has black screen. Others that have 84000 GT doesn't have
> this issue

Okay, if this is the hardware than the only thing what i can help is to say that
this cards makes no problem for me: 6200, 7600GS, G210 and GT220.

But this is not good because the 8400 is a nice card und should be supported
from nvidia in a better way.

> i'm too lazy to search for black screen now but is not on the front page
> as this issue was reported since the beta

I was hoping you have the link because for using the search function of the nv
forum i even have to search my glasses.-)

See you, Attila

Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Myra Nelson

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 15:24, Ionuț Bîru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 10/25/2010 07:04 PM, Attila wrote:
>>
>> At Montag, 25. Oktober 2010 15:51 Ionuț Bîru wrote:
>>
>>> congrats, you found a bug in nvidia driver. I've saw a lot of users
>>> having this issue on nvidia forum but not a single reply from nvidia
>>> devs.
>>
>> I don't have this problem so saying it is "only" a bug of the driver
>> sounds too
>> easy for me. Perhaps it would be better if people with this problem
>> compare
>> their configurations.
>>

> maybe you misunderstood me or i suck at explanations. Not all cards are
> affected and even the same chipsets. In some situations, no idea what are
> those, the new nvidia driver doesn't work.
>
> for example there is one guy with sony vaio laptop in the forum which has
> 8400 GT and has black screen. Others that have 84000 GT doesn't have this
> issue.
>
>>> take a look yourself:
>>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
>>
>> And where is one of this reports? Sorry, but posting no url would be
>> better in
>> this case.-)
>>

> i'm too lazy to search for black screen now but is not on the front page as
> this issue was reported since the beta
>

> --
> Ionuț

I don't know if this is related or not. I'm not having any problems
with desktop cards and the latest drivers, but I've had problems with
integrated graphics on both laptops and desktops. Seems some laptop
manufacturers tweak the video drivers and only their drivers will work
you can't install the drivers from nVidia or ATI. I've also had
integrated video on a desktop board, IICR it was an nforce4, that the
nVidia drivers (the recommended drivers) wouldn't recognize at all.
After 3 days of trying to correct the problem, I finally gave up on
the integrated graphics and purchased and add on card.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but thought it might give you
somewhere else to look for the problem.

Myra