FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Peter Lewis
 
Default Python 3 Rationale?

Hey Jeff,

Interesting points.

On Wednesday 08 December 2010 08:48:07 Jeff Cook wrote:
> Whenever I try bottom-posting, my clients complain that I just sent
> them a blank email.

I think the trick is not to top or bottom post, but to interleave your reply,
keeping the relevant parts of the original mail. It flows more like a
conversation that way, and helps to build up arguments and counter arguments
etc.

> As such, I am in the habit of top-posting because
> it is what most normal people expect; I suppose Outlook has
> established this trend. I try to remember to bottom-post when I write
> mailing lists (not too often), but it doesn't always work out.

A little message at the top of the email, like in this one, I find helps.
Also, it's rarely useful in an interleaved reply email to begin with vast
amounts of quoted text (though there are obviously exceptions).

> I don't really have a preference for where the post goes. I don't find
> either annoying. I understand the point in standards but I don't think
> we should be rude to those who forget/neglect/feel differently.

Ba-daa!

Pete :-)
 
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Ng Oon-Ee
 
Default Python 3 Rationale?

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 01:48 -0700, Jeff Cook wrote:
> >> > Really please, please don't top post.
> >> > http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/
> >>
> >> Who cares! it takes too long to scroll down through the past fifteen
> >> generations to get to the relevant part of the message.
> >
> > Well, it takes me one keystroke. Get a better mail client.
>
> Whenever I try bottom-posting, my clients complain that I just sent
> them a blank email. As such, I am in the habit of top-posting because
> it is what most normal people expect; I suppose Outlook has
> established this trend. I try to remember to bottom-post when I write
> mailing lists (not too often), but it doesn't always work out.
>
> I don't really have a preference for where the post goes. I don't find
> either annoying. I understand the point in standards but I don't think
> we should be rude to those who forget/neglect/feel differently.

Of course we shouldn't be rude. Reminders would be helpful though (for
those who forget/neglect). For that third group, they can jolly well go
have conversations with other people instead =).

When I reply an individual mail to my mom, I top-post. When I reply to a
ML that goes to a couple of hundred people at least I bottom-post. Its
common sense to follow the culture/habits of the group you're operating
with, tourists do that all the time.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org