Old 10-22-2010, 06:23 PM
justin caratzas

Default Python 3 Rationale?

> * Gaurish Sharma <contact@gaurishsharma.com> [22.10.2010 19:21]:
> > Hi,
> > I don't agree that python 3 is ready for mass use yet. I think arch
> > made a premature switch.
> >
> > Hence, I am not upgrading my system. I hope archlinux rollbacks python3
> update.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gary

I just installed the python2 package and symlinked, its as if it never
happened.

justin

Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 22:50 +0530, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't agree that python 3 is ready for mass use yet. I think arch
> made a premature switch.
>
> Hence, I am not upgrading my system. I hope archlinux rollbacks python3 update.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

"Hey look, devs did something I didn't like"

*throws toys out of pram*

"That'll get them to change their minds"

Seriously, did you think the threat of 'not updating' would get you what
you want? And do you understand what actually was done? python2 is still
installed on your system and still totally accessible after the upgrade,
the ONLY change is that /usr/bin/python does not symlink to it.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Kaiting Chen

You know what you could do is something like

rm /usr/bin/python
echo > /usr/bin/python << HERE
#! /bin/bash

[ -z "$_PYTHON" ] && _PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2

$_PYTHON "$@"
HERE
chmod 755 /usr/bin/python

if the transition is bothering you too much. Then when things calm down a
little you just delete that file and put the symlink back.

Kaiting.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
"Stefano Z."

is a simple fact of relinking to python2 or there can be problems of
libraries ?
for example, reportlab does work ?

thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Steve Holmes

Scroll CLEAR down to the bottom for my response.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:02:27PM -0400, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
> On 10/20/2010 11:45 AM, maxc wrote:
> >There is an excellent post by Guido here, Hilton: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2008-February/011910.html
> >
> >Guido seems to favor using /usr/bin/python3.0 or /usr/bin/python3
> >and /usr/bin/python as symlinks to the respective versions of
> >Python.
> >
> >'Perhaps we should only install "python3.0" and not "python".'
> >
> >We're not here to discussion semantics ofc. There is a much
> >broader concern which I hope we can address through friendly
> >discourse.
> >
> >On Oct 20, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Hilton Medeiros
> ><medeiros.hilton@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>A 'python' binary doesn't and won't ever exist, it is only a
> >>symlink, Max.
> Since you have seemed to miss my previous post. I'll post again!
>
> Really please, please don't top post.
> http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/

Who cares! it takes too long to scroll down through the past fifteen
generations to get to the relevant part of the message.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Christoffer Hirth

Den 06. des. 2010 18:27, skrev Steve Holmes:

Really please, please don't top post.
> http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/

Who cares! it takes too long to scroll down through the past fifteen
generations to get to the relevant part of the message.

That no problem as you only keep the relevant parts...

--- Christoffer

Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Christoffer Hirth <lists@toffyrn.net> wrote:
> Den 06. des. 2010 18:27, skrev Steve Holmes:
>>>
>>> Really please, please don't top post.
>>
>> Who cares! it takes too long to scroll down through the past fifteen
>> generations to get to the relevant part of the message.
>>
> That no problem as you only keep the relevant parts...

indeed; not about retaining everything, but rather enough to keep
context. if you haven't cleaned up your response you probably haven't
read enough to have one.

Steve, you posted to a 45+ day thread.... for this?

C Anthony

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:27 -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> > Really please, please don't top post.
> > http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/
>
> Who cares! it takes too long to scroll down through the past fifteen
> generations to get to the relevant part of the message.

If you're posting on an ML with hundreds of other users, you follow the
established styles. On most MLs, that's bottom-posting. "Who cares?" is
just a childish response.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Loui Chang

On Mon 06 Dec 2010 10:27 -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> Scroll CLEAR down to the bottom for my response.
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:02:27PM -0400, Matthew Gyurgyik wrote:
> > Really please, please don't top post.
> > http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/
>
> Who cares! it takes too long to scroll down through the past fifteen
> generations to get to the relevant part of the message.

Well, it takes me one keystroke. Get a better mail client.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Jeff Cook

>> > Really please, please don't top post.
>> > http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/
>>
>> Who cares! it takes too long to scroll down through the past fifteen
>> generations to get to the relevant part of the message.
>
> Well, it takes me one keystroke. Get a better mail client.

Whenever I try bottom-posting, my clients complain that I just sent
them a blank email. As such, I am in the habit of top-posting because
it is what most normal people expect; I suppose Outlook has
established this trend. I try to remember to bottom-post when I write
mailing lists (not too often), but it doesn't always work out.

I don't really have a preference for where the post goes. I don't find
either annoying. I understand the point in standards but I don't think
we should be rude to those who forget/neglect/feel differently.