Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Norbert Zeh

Default Setuptools broken?

Hi folks,

With the python upgrade from 2.7 to 3.1, I ran into the following snag.
gitosis from AUR depends on python and setuptools. Now, python =
python3.1 now and setuptools installs in the python2.7 library tree.
This was easy enough to fix, by simply replacing python with python2 in
the gitosis PKGBUILD. However, I would expect that python2 will
disappear completely somewhere down the road. What then? Moreover,
being a purist, I would like to avoid having two python versions
installed on my machine. So what's the deal with python3.1 and
setuptools? Is the procedure for installing python packages different
under 3.1 than under the old 2.x series, and there simply are no
setuptools any more? If that's the case, I guess it's the
responsibility of package maintainers to migrate to the setup used in
python3.1. If setuptools is still what is needed in python3.1,
shouldn't there now be two packages setuptools and setuptools2 that
install in the library trees of python3.1 and python2.7, respectively?
(I'm happy to file a bug report if this is indeed a bug.)

Cheers,
Norbert

Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Ray Rashif

On 20 October 2010 07:25, Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> With the python upgrade from 2.7 to 3.1, I ran into the following snag.
> gitosis from AUR depends on python and setuptools. *Now, python =
> python3.1 now and setuptools installs in the python2.7 library tree.
> This was easy enough to fix, by simply replacing python with python2 in
> the gitosis PKGBUILD. *However, I would expect that python2 will
> disappear completely somewhere down the road. *What then? *Moreover,
> being a purist, I would like to avoid having two python versions
> installed on my machine. *So what's the deal with python3.1 and
> setuptools? *Is the procedure for installing python packages different
> under 3.1 than under the old 2.x series, and there simply are no
> setuptools any more? *If that's the case, I guess it's the
> responsibility of package maintainers to migrate to the setup used in
> python3.1. *If setuptools is still what is needed in python3.1,
> shouldn't there now be two packages setuptools and setuptools2 that
> install in the library trees of python3.1 and python2.7, respectively?
> (I'm happy to file a bug report if this is indeed a bug.)

Python 3 should be using distribute [1] instead of setuptools. Either
way, you don't need to worry. Most software still require Python 2,
and by the time we do drop python2, everything should be working.

You can avoid installing python for now if you don't have anything
that can depend on it ("Required by"):

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/python/

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute

Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Ray Rashif <schiv@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 20 October 2010 07:25, Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> With the python upgrade from 2.7 to 3.1, I ran into the following snag.
>> gitosis from AUR depends on python and setuptools. *Now, python =
>> python3.1 now and setuptools installs in the python2.7 library tree.
>> This was easy enough to fix, by simply replacing python with python2 in
>> the gitosis PKGBUILD. *However, I would expect that python2 will
>> disappear completely somewhere down the road. *What then? *Moreover,
>> being a purist, I would like to avoid having two python versions
>> installed on my machine. *So what's the deal with python3.1 and
>> setuptools? *Is the procedure for installing python packages different
>> under 3.1 than under the old 2.x series, and there simply are no
>> setuptools any more? *If that's the case, I guess it's the
>> responsibility of package maintainers to migrate to the setup used in
>> python3.1. *If setuptools is still what is needed in python3.1,
>> shouldn't there now be two packages setuptools and setuptools2 that
>> install in the library trees of python3.1 and python2.7, respectively?
>> (I'm happy to file a bug report if this is indeed a bug.)
>
> Python 3 should be using distribute [1] instead of setuptools. Either
> way, you don't need to worry. Most software still require Python 2,
> and by the time we do drop python2, everything should be working.

Well if you're still around in like 2019 when python2 disappears, we
might have problems, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

-Dan