-   -   GDM Locked (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/441113-gdm-locked.html)

"Guillermo Leira" 10-18-2010 10:30 AM

GDM Locked

Hi!

After the last Pacman -Syu, I can't login with gdm. As soon as I clikc on my username, the system seems to freeze... Although not completely: I can ping from other computer, but I can't ssh.

Before I click on the username, the "switch off" icon at the right down corner works. Once I click on the username, nothing else works, and I neither can ctrl-alt-F1 to the console...

Any suggestions/questions?

Best Regards,

Guillermo

"Guillermo Leira" 10-19-2010 06:51 AM

GDM Locked

> After the last Pacman -Syu, I can't login with gdm. As soon as I clikc on my
> username, the system seems to freeze... Although not completely: I can ping
> from other computer, but I can't ssh.
>
> Before I click on the username, the "switch off" icon at the right down corner
> works. Once I click on the username, nothing else works, and I neither can
> ctrl-alt-F1 to the console...
>
> Any suggestions/questions?

I have removed GDM and installed SLIM. Now I can login, but the screen shows nothing... And if I try to CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, the system locks again. It is not a GDM problem.

If I run startx from the command line, X starts.

Any advice?

Best regards,

Guillermo

karl 10-19-2010 08:56 AM

GDM Locked

On 06:51 Tue 19 Oct , Guillermo Leira wrote:
> > After the last Pacman -Syu, I can't login with gdm. As soon as I clikc on my
> > username, the system seems to freeze... Although not completely: I can ping
> > from other computer, but I can't ssh.
> >
> > Before I click on the username, the "switch off" icon at the right down corner
> > works. Once I click on the username, nothing else works, and I neither can
> > ctrl-alt-F1 to the console...
> >
> > Any suggestions/questions?
>
> I have removed GDM and installed SLIM. Now I can login, but the screen shows nothing... And if I try to CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, the system locks again. It is not a GDM problem.
>
> If I run startx from the command line, X starts.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Guillermo

Hi Guillermo,

try and make yourself a new user. If that one can work with the X-part of your system - then some rights in your local $HOME directory are broken (.xinitrc
would be a candidate for this kind of weird behaviour, but also .ICEauthority or .Xauthority).
If of cause the new user account does have the same problems, your /etx/X11 or worse might have wrong user rights.
Have also a look i a file called .xerrors, .xsession-errors - or something like that (can't remember the correct name anymore), there could be some hints in
it, if it does exist, what your problem is.

Best regards,

Karl

CÚdric Girard 10-19-2010 09:11 AM

GDM Locked

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM, karl <captainhaggy@i2pmail.org> wrote:

> On 06:51 Tue 19 Oct , Guillermo Leira wrote:
> > > After the last Pacman -Syu, I can't login with gdm. As soon as I clikc
> on my
> > > username, the system seems to freeze... Although not completely: I can
> ping
> > > from other computer, but I can't ssh.
> > >
> > > Before I click on the username, the "switch off" icon at the right down
> corner
> > > works. Once I click on the username, nothing else works, and I neither
> can
> > > ctrl-alt-F1 to the console...
> > >
> > > Any suggestions/questions?
> >
> > I have removed GDM and installed SLIM. Now I can login, but the screen
> shows nothing... And if I try to CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, the system
> locks again. It is not a GDM problem.
> >
> > If I run startx from the command line, X starts.
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Guillermo
> >

> Hi Guillermo,
>
> try and make yourself a new user. If that one can work with the X-part of
> your system - then some rights in your local $HOME directory are broken
> (.xinitrc
> would be a candidate for this kind of weird behaviour, but also
> .ICEauthority or .Xauthority).
> If of cause the new user account does have the same problems, your /etx/X11
> or worse might have wrong user rights.
> Have also a look i a file called .xerrors, .xsession-errors - or something
> like that (can't remember the correct name anymore), there could be some
> hints in
> it, if it does exist, what your problem is.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Karl

When you run Slim, you also get a /var/log/slim.log to look at.

--
CÚdric Girard

karl 10-19-2010 09:15 AM

GDM Locked

On 06:51 Tue 19 Oct , Guillermo Leira wrote:
> > After the last Pacman -Syu, I can't login with gdm. As soon as I clikc on my
> > username, the system seems to freeze... Although not completely: I can ping
> > from other computer, but I can't ssh.
> >
> > Before I click on the username, the "switch off" icon at the right down corner
> > works. Once I click on the username, nothing else works, and I neither can
> > ctrl-alt-F1 to the console...
> >
> > Any suggestions/questions?
>
> I have removed GDM and installed SLIM. Now I can login, but the screen shows nothing... And if I try to CTRL-ALT-F1 to the console, the system locks again. It is not a GDM problem.
>
> If I run startx from the command line, X starts.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Guillermo

The behaviour that switching to the console freezes the output happens normaly, when kernel mode settings aren't activated / functioning / vesa instead of
the nouveau-driver (radeon, intel, whatever) is used.
Have a look ...

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KMS
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau

Kind regards,