Magnus Therning 10-18-2010 06:48 AM

Gnome question (that is unanswered on the gnome mailinglist)

I thought I'd try my luck on here, even though this is a rather
Gnome-specific question:

In the past I've been using seahorse to provide both a gpg agent and
an ssh agent. Recently I noticed that gnome-keyring-daemon provides
both of those agents. I must say though that it seems to be very
flaky.

I'll switch back to using seahorse for now, but I'm still wondering
why it is that there are two Gnome components with so much overlapping
functionality.
Will one replace the other?

/M

--
Magnus Therning┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus´╝*therning´╝Äorg┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* Jabber: magnus´╝*therning´╝Äorg

Peter Lewis 10-18-2010 09:37 AM

On Monday 18 October 2010 at 07:48 Magnus Therning wrote:
> I thought I'd try my luck on here, even though this is a rather
> Gnome-specific question:
>
> In the past I've been using seahorse to provide both a gpg agent and
> an ssh agent. Recently I noticed that gnome-keyring-daemon provides
> both of those agents. I must say though that it seems to be very
> flaky.
>
> I'll switch back to using seahorse for now, but I'm still wondering
> why it is that there are two Gnome components with so much overlapping
> functionality.
> Will one replace the other?

I don't use GNOME and my info might be out of date, but my understanding was
that seahorse is replacing gnome-keyring for everything.

Cheers,

Peter.

Magnus Therning 10-18-2010 10:56 AM

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:37, Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Monday 18 October 2010 at 07:48 Magnus Therning wrote:
>> I thought I'd try my luck on here, even though this is a rather
>> Gnome-specific question:
>>
>> In the past I've been using seahorse to provide both a gpg agent and
>> an ssh agent. ┬*Recently I noticed that gnome-keyring-daemon provides
>> both of those agents. ┬*I must say though that it seems to be very
>> flaky.
>>
>> I'll switch back to using seahorse for now, but I'm still wondering
>> why it is that there are two Gnome components with so much overlapping
>> functionality.
>> Will one replace the other?
>
> I don't use GNOME and my info might be out of date, but my understanding was
> that seahorse is replacing gnome-keyring for everything.

That's what I thought as well, but gnome-keyring-daemon can still be
configured to provide both types of agents, and it does so by default
after the latest upgrade. The bad bit is that it is crap at it!

Anyway, for now I'll disable the agents from gnome-keyring and make
sure seahorse is started on login instead.

/M