-   -   Method to redirect hidden config files in ~ (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/439834-method-redirect-hidden-config-files.html)

C Anthony Risinger 10-14-2010 03:57 PM

Method to redirect hidden config files in ~

awhile back, i believe it was on this list, there was some messages
about cleaning up the .<files> in your HOME folder...

can someone point me in the right direction here? i swear all i
needed to do was export the proper VARS but i cannot seem to find the
info now.

thanks,

C Anthony

Sebastian Schwarz 10-14-2010 04:51 PM

On 2010-10-14 at 10:57 -0500, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> awhile back, i believe it was on this list, there was some
> amessages bout cleaning up the .<files> in your HOME folder...

It can be achieved by preloading this library:
http://ordiluc.net/fs/libetc/

Since I am not using it I can't tell how well it works. Maybe
someone else can.

> can someone point me in the right direction here? i swear all
> i needed to do was export the proper VARS but i cannot seem to
> find the info now.

Or do you mean this approach for certain directories:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs

C Anthony Risinger 10-14-2010 06:10 PM

Method to redirect hidden config files in ~

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Sebastian Schwarz
<seschwar@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-10-14 at 10:57 -0500, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
>> awhile back, i believe it was on this list, there was some
>> amessages bout cleaning up the .<files> in your HOME folder...
>
> It can be achieved by preloading this library:
> http://ordiluc.net/fs/libetc/
>
> Since I am not using it I can't tell how well it works. *Maybe
> someone else can.
>
>> can someone point me in the right direction here? i swear all
>> i needed to do was export the proper VARS but i cannot seem to
>> find the info now.
>
> Or do you mean this approach for certain directories:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs

ah nice, i think both actually came up in the thread. i'll check this
out and see if they do what i want.

thanks,

C Anthony

meganox 10-21-2010 03:33 PM

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me>wrote:

> awhile back, i believe it was on this list, there was some messages
> about cleaning up the .<files> in your HOME folder...
>
> can someone point me in the right direction here? i swear all i
> needed to do was export the proper VARS but i cannot seem to find the
> info now.
>
> thanks,
>
> C Anthony

You are thinking of the xdg user directories vars set in the file
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs

C Anthony Risinger 10-21-2010 09:13 PM

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM, meganox <meganox@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me>wrote:
>
>> awhile back, i believe it was on this list, there was some messages
>> about cleaning up the .<files> in your HOME folder...
>>
>> can someone point me in the right direction here? *i swear all i
>> needed to do was export the proper VARS but i cannot seem to find the
>> info now.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> C Anthony
>>

> You are thinking of the xdg user directories vars set in the file
> ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs

nice, thanks guys.

i have yet to actually do this yet, but i'm pretty sure it's the
information i was looking for.

C Anthony