-   -   Benchmarks (GUI) (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/437295-benchmarks-gui.html)

Manne Merak 10-08-2010 02:32 PM

Benchmarks (GUI)

Anyone know of some reliable benchmark utilities I can use to evaluate
display cards? and different drivers (mostly Nvidia on KDE 4.5).
I know I can install some 3D game or demo and compare FPS, but I need
something more focused on basic desktop experience; and must be
repeatable with some form of formatted results.

I know KDE had a benchmarking suite way back, can't seem to find it?

Manne

Ian-Xue Li 10-08-2010 02:34 PM

Benchmarks (GUI)

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:32:26PM +0200, Manne Merak wrote:
> Anyone know of some reliable benchmark utilities I can use to
> evaluate display cards? and different drivers (mostly Nvidia on KDE
> 4.5).
You can try glxgears for a start. Or Phoronix Test Suite.

--
Li Ian-Xue
http://b4283.ath.cx

Lukáš Jirkovský 10-08-2010 02:35 PM

Benchmarks (GUI)

On 8 October 2010 16:32, Manne Merak <mannemerak@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Anyone know of some reliable benchmark utilities I can use to evaluate
> display cards? and different drivers (mostly Nvidia on KDE 4.5).
> I know I can install some 3D game or demo and compare FPS, but I need
> something more focused on basic desktop experience; and must be repeatable
> with some form of formatted results.
> I know KDE had a benchmarking suite way back, can't seem to find it?
>
> Manne

Phoronix Test Suite.

Robert Howard 10-08-2010 02:36 PM

Benchmarks (GUI)

Phoronix Suite perhaps? Don't know what it uses for graphics test or if it
even works on Arch. Benchmarks are lacking for Linux.

Manne Merak 10-08-2010 02:51 PM

Benchmarks (GUI)

On 10/08/2010 04:35 PM, Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:

On 8 October 2010 16:32, Manne Merak<mannemerak@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone know of some reliable benchmark utilities I can use to evaluate
display cards? and different drivers (mostly Nvidia on KDE 4.5).
I know I can install some 3D game or demo and compare FPS, but I need
something more focused on basic desktop experience; and must be repeatable
with some form of formatted results.
I know KDE had a benchmarking suite way back, can't seem to find it?

Manne

Phoronix Test Suite.

Thanks, I tried getting it to work a while back.
Will try again.

Manne Merak 10-08-2010 03:02 PM

Benchmarks (GUI)

On 10/08/2010 04:35 PM, Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:

On 8 October 2010 16:32, Manne Merak<mannemerak@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone know of some reliable benchmark utilities I can use to evaluate
display cards? and different drivers (mostly Nvidia on KDE 4.5).
I know I can install some 3D game or demo and compare FPS, but I need
something more focused on basic desktop experience; and must be repeatable
with some form of formatted results.
I know KDE had a benchmarking suite way back, can't seem to find it?

Manne

Phoronix Test Suite.

Ok, sorry, should have searched the Arch site first.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Benchmarking
Phoronix Test Suite is available in [community]

Jan de Groot 10-08-2010 07:39 PM

Benchmarks (GUI)

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 22:34 +0800, Ian-Xue Li wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 04:32:26PM +0200, Manne Merak wrote:
> > Anyone know of some reliable benchmark utilities I can use to
> > evaluate display cards? and different drivers (mostly Nvidia on KDE
> > 4.5).
> You can try glxgears for a start. Or Phoronix Test Suite.

glxgears is not a benchmark and shouldn't be used for that purpose at
all.

Jeff Cook 10-11-2010 11:04 AM

Benchmarks (GUI)

I usually just run gtkperf. I haven't tried PTS yet but it's hard for
me to trust anything that comes out of Phoronix.

Cdric Girard 10-11-2010 11:38 AM

Benchmarks (GUI)

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Jeff Cook <jeff@deserettechnology.com>wrote:

> I usually just run gtkperf. I haven't tried PTS yet but it's hard for
> me to trust anything that comes out of Phoronix.

Please explain ?

--
Cdric Girard

Jeff Cook 10-11-2010 11:50 AM

Benchmarks (GUI)

2010/10/11 Cdric Girard <girard.cedric@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Jeff Cook <jeff@deserettechnology.com>wrote:
>
>> I usually just run gtkperf. I haven't tried PTS yet but it's hard for
>> me to trust anything that comes out of Phoronix.
>>

> Please explain ?

Phoronix is just really unprofessional and unreliable as a media
outlet. They constantly post information that is first of all,
absolutely atrociously, sometimes incomprehensibly written, and
secondly often inaccurate and misrepresentative. They also use amateur
reporting practices and lack standards, as we see with their Steam
reporting and sending lots of traffic to Valve FTP servers not
intended for public usage (for one example).

Obviously this does not necessarily reflect directly on their
software, but I think it's wise to take anything from Phoronix with a
grain of salt.

From
Jeff