Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Norbert Zeh

Default Xterm urgency hint

Hi folks,

I've just run into a strange problem. In order to highlight terminal
windows that require my attention, I make the application running in the
window beep, and I have set xterm*bellIsUrgent:true. The problem: xterm
seems to simply ignore this setting. I can also go into the xterm menu
and activate/deactivate bell urgency, but it makes no difference. I
always hear a beep instead of the window's urgency WM hint being set.

I'm almost certain that's an upstream bug introduced fairly recently
because I had the same problem on my Debian machine. Does anybody have
a clue where to report this bug? I simply can't find a decent project
web page for xterm.

Thanks,
Norbert

Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Nick Jones

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 at 09:42:04 -0300, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> I've just run into a strange problem. In order to highlight terminal
> windows that require my attention, I make the application running in the
> window beep, and I have set xterm*bellIsUrgent:true. The problem: xterm
> seems to simply ignore this setting. I can also go into the xterm menu
> and activate/deactivate bell urgency, but it makes no difference. I
> always hear a beep instead of the window's urgency WM hint being set.

Maybe an obvious suggestion, but check that:

$ xset b on

Perhaps?

--

-Nick

Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Norbert Zeh

Nick Jones [2010.10.08 1359 +0100]:
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 at 09:42:04 -0300, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> > I've just run into a strange problem. In order to highlight terminal
> > windows that require my attention, I make the application running in the
> > window beep, and I have set xterm*bellIsUrgent:true. The problem: xterm
> > seems to simply ignore this setting. I can also go into the xterm menu
> > and activate/deactivate bell urgency, but it makes no difference. I
> > always hear a beep instead of the window's urgency WM hint being set.
>
> Maybe an obvious suggestion, but check that:
>
> $ xset b on
>
> Perhaps?

Thanks for the suggestion, but this seems to control only bell
volume/pitch, which is not the issue here. The issue is that the bell
is not supposed to make any sound but instead set the urgency window
manager hint.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer.

N.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Norbert Zeh

Norbert Zeh [2010.10.08 0942 -0300]:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just run into a strange problem. In order to highlight terminal
> windows that require my attention, I make the application running in the
> window beep, and I have set xterm*bellIsUrgent:true. The problem: xterm
> seems to simply ignore this setting. I can also go into the xterm menu
> and activate/deactivate bell urgency, but it makes no difference. I
> always hear a beep instead of the window's urgency WM hint being set.
>
> I'm almost certain that's an upstream bug introduced fairly recently
> because I had the same problem on my Debian machine. Does anybody have
> a clue where to report this bug? I simply can't find a decent project
> web page for xterm.

Actually, it's not an upstream bug, but a bug as far downstream as you
can go: the user. I made a really silly mistake in setting up my window
manager. So, xterm works, my brain doesn't.

Cheers,
Norbert