Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Matthew Monaco

Default nvidia and xorg-server 1.9

I was following the discussion about holding back xorg 1.9 because of the nvidia
driver, but I either missed the end of it, or it was left open.

Do the nvidia and nvidia-173xx drivers in [extra] work with 1.9?

If they do work, either or both, are they still plagued by this performance
regression (stuff like rendering fonts as far as I can remember).

If either does have this performance hit, does anyone know of a target version
that resolves the regression?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Thomas Bahn

Am Freitag 08 Oktober 2010, 02:32:47 schrieb Matthew Monaco:
> I was following the discussion about holding back xorg 1.9 because of the
> nvidia driver, but I either missed the end of it, or it was left open.
>
> Do the nvidia and nvidia-173xx drivers in [extra] work with 1.9?
>
> If they do work, either or both, are they still plagued by this performance
> regression (stuff like rendering fonts as far as I can remember).
>
> If either does have this performance hit, does anyone know of a target
> version that resolves the regression?
>
> Thanks

I'm using the nvidia driver and it works with xorg 1.9
But in heavy 3D-games there are some performance issues (often normal ~130fps
but sometimes 7-10fps until a scene change).
In AUR there is nvidia-beta available, its the beta driver from nvidia and
works perfectly for me.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Ionuț Bîru

I was following the discussion about holding back xorg 1.9 because of
the nvidia driver, but I either missed the end of it, or it was left open.

Do the nvidia and nvidia-173xx drivers in [extra] work with 1.9?

yes

If they do work, either or both, are they still plagued by this
performance regression (stuff like rendering fonts as far as I can
remember).

If either does have this performance hit, does anyone know of a target
version that resolves the regression?

are you still talking about nvidia legacy?

if not, the current nvidia has performance regression which are fixed in
the beta.

--
Ionuț

Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Markus Golser

I'm wondering if there are any known regressions for h264 playback
(vdpau) 64bit nvidia stable

Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Matthew Monaco

I was following the discussion about holding back xorg 1.9 because of
the nvidia driver, but I either missed the end of it, or it was left open.

Do the nvidia and nvidia-173xx drivers in [extra] work with 1.9?

yes

If they do work, either or both, are they still plagued by this
performance regression (stuff like rendering fonts as far as I can
remember).

If either does have this performance hit, does anyone know of a target
version that resolves the regression?

are you still talking about nvidia legacy?

if not, the current nvidia has performance regression which are fixed in the beta.

I don't think it was mentioned earlier, so I was asking if nvidia legacy
(specifically 173) was affected by the same performance regression as the
current nvidia driver.