Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Angus

Default no python3 package?

I'm glad Arch did the python3 transition and I agree with python3
being the default version (i.e. having 'python' symlink to
'python3.x').

But what's the reason for no longer having a package named 'python3'
with a symlink to 'python3.x'? It would make (/have made) the
transition a little easier, no? Any harm done in providing it?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:49 AM
"Allan McRae"

I'm glad Arch did the python3 transition and I agree with python3
being the default version (i.e. having 'python' symlink to
'python3.x').

But what's the reason for no longer having a package named 'python3'
with a symlink to 'python3.x'? It would make (/have made) the
transition a little easier, no? Any harm done in providing it?

I have no idea what you are talking about...

> pacman -Ss python3
testing/python 3.1.2-2 [installed]
Next generation of the python high-level scripting language
community/python3 3.1.2-4
Next generation of the python high-level scripting language

Note that testing/python will replace the community/python3 once it
moves to [extra].

Allan

Old 10-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Angus

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 07/10/10 14:40, Angus wrote:
>>
>> I'm glad Arch did the python3 transition and I agree with python3
>> being the default version (i.e. having 'python' symlink to
>> 'python3.x').
>>
>> But what's the reason for no longer having a package named 'python3'
>> with a symlink to 'python3.x'? It would make (/have made) the
>> transition a little easier, no? Any harm done in providing it?
>>

> I have no idea what you are talking about...
>
>> pacman -Ss python3
> testing/python 3.1.2-2 [installed]
> * *Next generation of the python high-level scripting language
> community/python3 3.1.2-4
> * *Next generation of the python high-level scripting language
>
> Note that testing/python will replace the community/python3 once it moves to
> [extra].
>
> Allan

Argh... sorry for not checking things properly first...

It's just that when I tried to update my packages (includer AUR) I saw this:

:: Replace python3 with testing/python? [Y/n]
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: pyqt-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1
:: sip-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1

...and just assumed that meant 'python3' was set to disappear.

Ang

Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 AM
"Allan McRae"

[...]

Hmm... I probably should have added a version to the provides line in
the python package. Currently it only provides "python3" and not a
version so the versioned deps in those AUR packages are causing issues.
I'll get around to that before this exits [testing]....

Allan

Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Angus

> Hmm... *I probably should have added a version to the provides line in the
> python package. * Currently it only provides "python3" and not a version so
> the versioned deps in those AUR packages are causing issues. *I'll get
> around to that before this exits [testing]....
>
> Allan

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you for your quick responses and solution.

Ang

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Angus

> Hmm... *I probably should have added a version to the provides line in the
> python package. * Currently it only provides "python3" and not a version so
> the versioned deps in those AUR packages are causing issues. *I'll get
> around to that before this exits [testing]....

Um... did you perhaps not get around to it?

:: Replace python3 with extra/python? [Y/n]

Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 AM
Angus

>> Hmm... *I probably should have added a version to the provides line in the
>> python package. * Currently it only provides "python3" and not a version so
>> the versioned deps in those AUR packages are causing issues. *I'll get
>> around to that before this exits [testing]....
>
> Um... did you perhaps not get around to it?
>
> :: Replace python3 with extra/python? [Y/n]
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
> :: pyqt-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1
> :: sip-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1

...anybody?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Mauro Santos

On 20-10-2010 05:35, Angus wrote:
>>> Hmm... I probably should have added a version to the provides line in the
>>> python package. Currently it only provides "python3" and not a version so
>>> the versioned deps in those AUR packages are causing issues. I'll get
>>> around to that before this exits [testing]....
>>
>> Um... did you perhaps not get around to it?
>>
>> :: Replace python3 with extra/python? [Y/n]
>> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> :: pyqt-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1
>> :: sip-py3and2: requires python3>=3.1
>
> ...anybody?

Those are AUR packages, you need to ask their maintainers in the AUR to
make the necessary changes.

--
Mauro Santos

Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Angus

> Those are AUR packages, you need to ask their maintainers in the AUR to
> make the necessary changes.

Learn2read, please. I was given the impression that this was going to
be solved with the python package:

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>Hmm... I probably should have added a version to the provides line in the
>python package. Currently it only provides "python3" and not a version so
>the versioned deps in those AUR packages are causing issues. I'll get
>around to that before this exits [testing]....

Note the part: "I'll get around to that before this exits [testing]"...