Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM
"Christian"

Default Creation of startup scripts

Hi,

On 2010-10-05 at 23:00 Johannes Held wrote:

>"Christian" <christian08@runbox.com>:
>> Hi all,
>> I am learning more and more about Linux, but I would like to learn how to
>> create startup scripts for my programs, any good resource? Where should I
>> start? Many thanks, Christian
>>
>Take some initscript from /etc/rc.d, copy and adjust it to your needs.
>
>--
>Gruß, Johannes
>http://hehejo.de

I have already done that, but it would be nice to know if some things should be included or not in the scripts. I would also like to get started in creating aur packages.
But this is bash scripts?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 PM
"Christian"

Hi,

On 2010-10-05 at 16:02 Dan McGee wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am learning more and more about Linux, but I would like to learn how
>to create startup scripts for my programs, any good resource? Where should
>I start?
>> Many thanks,
>> Christian
>
>Startup scripts are pretty specific to each distro.
>* http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Writing_rc.d_scripts
>* http://www.justinbritten.com/work/2009/05/god-initd-script-for-centos/
>
>-Dan

Yes, it's rc.d scripts I would like to write.
Christian

Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Johannes Held

"Christian" <christian08@runbox.com>:
> I would also like to get started in creating aur packages.
> But this is bash scripts?
Jep, nearly everything on ArchLinux is made via bash (exceptions are pacman and
friends).

Whether you want to crreate aur packages or alter provided packages you need to
learn about PKGBUILD and the ABS (ArchBuildSystem).
Go read the wiki about them - it's really easy and fast forward!

--
Gruß, Johannes
http://hehejo.de

Old 10-05-2010, 10:00 PM
"Christian"

Hi,

On 2010-10-05 at 23:38 Johannes Held wrote:

>"Christian" <christian08@runbox.com>:
>> I would also like to get started in creating aur packages.
>> But this is bash scripts?
>Jep, nearly everything on ArchLinux is made via bash (exceptions are
>pacman and
>friends).
>
>Whether you want to crreate aur packages or alter provided packages you
>need to
>learn about PKGBUILD and the ABS (ArchBuildSystem).
>Go read the wiki about them - it's really easy and fast forward!
>
>--
>Gruß, Johannes
>http://hehejo.de

OK, just want to be sure if I want to create rc scripts I should read up on bash scripting?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Johannes Held

"Christian" <christian08@runbox.com>:
> OK, just want to be sure if I want to create rc scripts I should read up on
> bash scripting?
Hehe, that depends! If you need to do really complicated things - yes!
If you simply want to start some program like you would from shell - no!

--
Gruß, Johannes
http://hehejo.de