Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Stefano Avallone

Default some notes on the radeon gallium driver

Hi,

just if anyone is interested... I compiled mesa 7.9 and tried the radeon
gallium driver on a X300 ati card. It works pretty good. For instance, now I
can use the blur effect of kwin 4.5, while I couldn't with classic mesa 7.9
driver. I don't play games, so I cannot tell what is different with games...

Maybe we might have an ati-dri package in [testing] that ships r300g instead
of r300c...

Stefano

Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
"Adam Chidlow"

Hey Stefano,

What instructions did you follow? I'm interested on testing this (HD 4850 here).

Cheers,
Adam

Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 05.10.2010 20:27, Adam Chidlow wrote:
> Hey Stefano,
>
> What instructions did you follow? I'm interested on testing this (HD 4850 here).
>
> Cheers,
> Adam

You can use my -gallium AUR packages. I use them on my r500 and it works
very well for games and the like.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Laurent Carlier

Le mardi 05 octobre 2010 20:35:24, Sven-Hendrik Haase a écrit :
> On 05.10.2010 20:27, Adam Chidlow wrote:
> > Hey Stefano,
> >
> > What instructions did you follow? I'm interested on testing this (HD 4850
> > here).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Adam

With the move to python2/python3 you need to add these lines to properly built
if testing is enabled:

sed -i -e 's#/bin/env python#/bin/env python2#g'
src/gallium/auxiliary/indices/*.py src/mesa/main/*.py
sed -i -e 's#PYTHON2 = python#PYTHON2 = python2#g'
configs/current
sed -i -e 's#python#python2#g'
src/gallium/auxiliary/Makefile

Works for me with r600g

++

Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Stefano Avallone

On Tuesday 05 October 2010 20:35:24 Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> On 05.10.2010 20:27, Adam Chidlow wrote:
> > Hey Stefano,
> >
> > What instructions did you follow? I'm interested on testing this (HD 4850
> > here).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Adam

Of course you can use the AUR packages, which download the current mesa
git master. What I did was to adapt the PKGBUILD for mesa found in [extra] to
build mesa 7.9 and then copying ${srcdir}/Mesa-7.9/lib/gallium/r300_dri.so to
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/

Stefano

Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Jeff Cook

My understanding is that r300g is the new default in Mesa 7.9. See
http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa-commit@lists.freedesktop.org/msg23390.html
. Does this mean that Arch will automatically switch to it on release
of Mesa or will extra steps be required?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 PM
"Stephen E. Baker"

> My understanding is that r300g is the new default in Mesa 7.9. See
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa-commit@lists.freedesktop.org/msg23390.html
> . Does this mean that Arch will automatically switch to it on release
> of Mesa or will extra steps be required?

As I understand it the PKGBUILD will also have to be altered. The
driver will be built by default but not installed to
"/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/" as mentioned by Stafano. The purpose of
having both drivers built is so that one could experiment with the
gallium driver with export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH = ... before executing
particular opengl programs without switching outright.

I've been doing this for a couple weeks now with the git version of
just the r300g driver running with Arch's packaged mesa 7.8 and have
found that it has fixed all the bugs I was having in Neverwinter
Nights and eduke32 with no new problems besides the occasional
stuttering when fps drops too low. I would vote for making it the
default in Arch with mesa 7.9.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 06.10.2010 15:05, Stephen E. Baker wrote:
>> My understanding is that r300g is the new default in Mesa 7.9. See
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa-commit@lists.freedesktop.org/msg23390.html
>> . Does this mean that Arch will automatically switch to it on release
>> of Mesa or will extra steps be required?
> As I understand it the PKGBUILD will also have to be altered. The
> driver will be built by default but not installed to
> "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/" as mentioned by Stafano. The purpose of
> having both drivers built is so that one could experiment with the
> gallium driver with export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH = ... before executing
> particular opengl programs without switching outright.
>
> I've been doing this for a couple weeks now with the git version of
> just the r300g driver running with Arch's packaged mesa 7.8 and have
> found that it has fixed all the bugs I was having in Neverwinter
> Nights and eduke32 with no new problems besides the occasional
> stuttering when fps drops too low. I would vote for making it the
> default in Arch with mesa 7.9.

I'm seconding this. r300g is working exceptionally well compared to r300
and it is very stable even with lots of 3D stuff and wine games. I'd
definitely want this to be the default in Arch. Perhaps we should file a
bug report. In fact, I will file one if we can get a few more opinions
on this.

I think it would be a very beneficial idea for Arch users.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Old 10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Tom

> I'm seconding this. r300g is working exceptionally well compared to
> r300 and it is very stable even with lots of 3D stuff and wine games.
> I'd definitely want this to be the default in Arch. Perhaps we should
> file a bug report. In fact, I will file one if we can get a few more
> opinions on this.
>
> I think it would be a very beneficial idea for Arch users.
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

Well is there any reason this should NOT be made default once Arch
updates to Mesa 7.9 if it IS the default in new mesa??
Why would/should arch differ?

Sidenote: been running r300g for ages, no worries...

Tom

Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Tom <uebershark@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm seconding this. r300g is working exceptionally well compared to
>> r300 and it is very stable even with lots of 3D stuff and wine games.
>> I'd definitely want this to be the default in Arch. Perhaps we should
>> file a bug report. In fact, I will file one if we *can get a few more
>> opinions on this.
>>
>> I think it would be a very beneficial idea for Arch users.
>>
>> -- Sven-Hendrik
>
> Well is there any reason this should NOT be made default once Arch
> updates to Mesa 7.9 if it IS the default in new mesa??
> Why would/should arch differ?

i wouldn't think so.

> Sidenote: been running r300g for ages, no worries...

that's great news, along with other positive feedback. this whole
message is rather devoid of new content, but it's really wonderful to
see Gallium reaching fruition; it's been a long wait and it seems to
really be living up to it's promises.

haven't tried the Gallium driver for my 4850 (if one is ready-ish?),
but this thread is very encouraging. especially interesting is the
recent port of the Direct3D API to a native state tracker (i think
that's the right terms)... Linux gaming may just force it's way into
existence, vs. the perpetual wait for vendor support :-)

C Anthony