Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Jan de Groot

Default Question about pacman and installing Gnome

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:15 +0200, Christian wrote:
> I wait for about 30 seconds before I login as my user but nothing
> happens when I press enter after I have entered my password.

gdm has this annoying change since 2.32 where it requires a mouse click
on the username to select it for login. With previous versions you could
just hit enter to select the one and only user in the list and enter
your password after that.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
"Christian"

Hello,

On 2010-10-04 at 17:34 Guillaume ALAUX wrote:

>On 4 October 2010 17:15, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I had to do a reinstall of my machine so I did that and for some reason,
>Gnome doesn't start proprely. I am visually impaired so I can't see the
>screen until I have logged into Gnome and started Orca, the screen reader
>for Gnome.
>> Here is what I do.
>> pacman -S xorg xf86-video-ati xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse gnome
>gnome-extra gnome-system-tools
>> Then I did:
>> pacman -S gamin
>> pacman -S gdm
>> I have however got a protocol error so I had to restart some of the
>downloads above, but will pacman check the packages so that they are
>completely downloaded?
>> Anyway, I then did:
>> /etc/rc.d/hal start
>> /etc/rc.d/gdm start and I did all of this as root.
>> Then I can read that the screen goes into the graphical environment
>since BRLTTY and Speakup, the console screen readers tell me that.
>> I wait for about 30 seconds before I login as my user but nothing
>happens when I press enter after I have entered my password.
>> Have I missed something?
>> This is like I did before.
>> I have added my user to the video group as well as the others
>recommended on the beginners guide.
>> Any thoughts?
>> Many thanks,
>> Christian
>>

>> will pacman check the packages so that they are completely downloaded?
>Yes pacman checks md5sums
>
>I don't know if this is related but I noticed since the last gnome
>update that when gdm displays the list of usernames, you can't select
>the first one by just pressing enter. That used to work and was very
>handy cause you didn't have to grab the mouse : wait for gdm to start
>then press enter, the password, enter again and there you were. Maybe
>you are just stuck at the user list ?!
>
>--
>Guillaume

Yes, that's maybe correct. Since I am th eonly user how do I select the only user, I can't just press enter twice and then enter my password?
I will try also the auto logon thing.
Many thanks,
Christian

Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
"Christian"

Hi,

On 2010-10-04 at 18:29 Jan de Groot wrote:

>On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:15 +0200, Christian wrote:
>> I wait for about 30 seconds before I login as my user but nothing
>> happens when I press enter after I have entered my password.
>
>gdm has this annoying change since 2.32 where it requires a mouse click
>on the username to select it for login. With previous versions you could
>just hit enter to select the one and only user in the list and enter
>your password after that.

And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Guillaume ALAUX

On 4 October 2010 18:35, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On 2010-10-04 at 17:34 Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
>
>>On 4 October 2010 17:15, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I had to do a reinstall of my machine so I did that and for some reason,
>>Gnome doesn't start proprely. I am visually impaired so I can't see the
>>screen until I have logged into Gnome and started Orca, the screen reader
>>for Gnome.
>>> Here is what I do.
>>> pacman -S xorg xf86-video-ati xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse gnome
>>gnome-extra gnome-system-tools
>>> Then I did:
>>> pacman -S gamin
>>> pacman -S gdm
>>> I have however got a protocol error so I had to restart some of the
>>downloads above, but will pacman check the packages so that they are
>>completely downloaded?
>>> Anyway, I then did:
>>> /etc/rc.d/hal start
>>> /etc/rc.d/gdm start and I did all of this as root.
>>> Then I can read that the screen goes into the graphical environment
>>since BRLTTY and Speakup, the console screen readers tell me that.
>>> I wait for about 30 seconds before I login as my user but nothing
>>happens when I press enter after I have entered my password.
>>> Have I missed something?
>>> This is like I did before.
>>> I have added my user to the video group as well as the others
>>recommended on the beginners guide.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Christian
>>>

>>> will pacman check the packages so that they are completely downloaded?
>>Yes pacman checks md5sums
>>
>>I don't know if this is related but I noticed since the last gnome
>>update that when gdm displays the list of usernames, you can't select
>>the first one by just pressing enter. That used to work and was very
>>handy cause you didn't have to grab the mouse : wait for gdm to start
>>then press enter, the password, enter again and there you were. Maybe
>>you are just stuck at the user list ?!
>>
>>--
>>Guillaume
>
> Yes, that's maybe correct. Since I am th eonly user how do I select the only user, I can't just press enter twice and then enter my password?
> I will try also the auto logon thing.
> Many thanks,
> Christian

On my other Arch I have a GDM panel configuration that I can get
through the gnome-control-center and that enables you to automatically
login with a user (I can't figure out where I got it and it's not
installed on this one here). Maybe it can select a login name to. I
think that is pretty much what Paulo explained on a previous email but
the "CLI way".

Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Guillaume ALAUX

On 4 October 2010 18:37, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 2010-10-04 at 18:29 Jan de Groot wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:15 +0200, Christian wrote:
>>> I wait for about 30 seconds before I login as my user but nothing
>>> happens when I press enter after I have entered my password.
>>
>>gdm has this annoying change since 2.32 where it requires a mouse click
>>on the username to select it for login. With previous versions you could
>>just hit enter to select the one and only user in the list and enter
>>your password after that.
>
> And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?
>

> And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?
Yes ! It seems TAB + ENTER does the trick.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
"Christian"

Hi,

On 2010-10-04 at 18:42 Guillaume ALAUX wrote:

>On 4 October 2010 18:37, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>>gdm has this annoying change since 2.32 where it requires a mouse click
>>>on the username to select it for login. With previous versions you could
>>>just hit enter to select the one and only user in the list and enter
>>>your password after that.
>>
>> And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?
>>

>> And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?
>Yes ! It seems TAB + ENTER does the trick.

OK, so then you just enter your password after you have hit enter that time and then you are logged in?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Guillaume ALAUX

On 4 October 2010 18:47, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 2010-10-04 at 18:42 Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
>
>>On 4 October 2010 18:37, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?
>>>

>>> And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?
>>Yes ! It seems TAB + ENTER does the trick.
>
> OK, so then you just enter your password after you have hit enter that time and then you are logged in?

When gdm is up, press TAB, ENTER. If you have only one user then it is
selected and waits for your password. So then password + ENTER and you
should be done.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Ionuț Bîru

On 2010-10-04 at 18:29 Jan de Groot wrote:

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:15 +0200, Christian wrote:

I wait for about 30 seconds before I login as my user but nothing
happens when I press enter after I have entered my password.

gdm has this annoying change since 2.32 where it requires a mouse click
on the username to select it for login. With previous versions you could
just hit enter to select the one and only user in the list and enter
your password after that.

And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?

And you cannot press tab or anything else to select?

Yes ! It seems TAB + ENTER does the trick.

OK, so then you just enter your password after you have hit enter that time and then you are logged in?

When gdm is up, press TAB, ENTER. If you have only one user then it is
selected and waits for your password. So then password + ENTER and you
should be done.

note that you need to install additionally packages for orca:

espeak, festival

--
Ionuț

Old 10-04-2010, 04:59 PM
"Christian"

Hi,

On 2010-10-04 at 19:54 Ionu? Bîru wrote:

>On 10/04/2010 07:51 PM, Guillaume ALAUX wrote:
>> On 4 October 2010 18:47, Christian<christian08@runbox.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>click
>could

>>> OK, so then you just enter your password after you have hit enter that
>time and then you are logged in?
>>>

>> When gdm is up, press TAB, ENTER. If you have only one user then it is
>> selected and waits for your password. So then password + ENTER and you
>> should be done.
>
>note that you need to install additionally packages for orca:
>
>espeak, festival
>
>--
>Ionu?

Orca is included in gnome-extra