Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Dave Reisner

Default Adobe Releases New 64-bit Flash Plugin For Linux

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:14:22AM -0300, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Rafael Beraldo
> <rafaelluisberaldo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You may have seen this, however it is interesting to spread the word:
> > http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/09/16/0340226/Adobe-Releases-New-64-bit-Flash-Plugin-For-Linux
> >
> > <http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/09/16/0340226/Adobe-Releases-New-64-bit-Flash-Plugin-For-Linux>I
> > hope this comes to the repositories soon…it is kind of sad, though, 'cause a
> > great deal of people (including me) might use [multilib] just because of
> > Flash.
>
> It is in AUR already. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32072.
> As it is only a prerelease, it shouldn't be in the repos, though.

The former 64-bit flash plugin was never anything but a pre-release.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Linus Eklöf

What's kind of sad is that people support and use adobes flash. Gnash might
not work that well, but at least you'll kind of show support for free
software.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Rafael Beraldo <rafaelluisberaldo@gmail.com

Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 PM
jesse jaara

2010/9/16 Linus Eklf <kazchjack@gmail.com>

> What's kind of sad is that people support and use adobes flash. Gnash might
> not work that well, but at least you'll kind of show support for free
> software.
>
> I would use gnash or lightspark, if they could be used together whit adobes
flash
like having some white list for video sites or somesort of analyzer that
will firtsh
go trought the flash show binary to see if it is 100% supported by
gnash/... and
if it isint then use the adobes version. I think that at the moment what
most users
need flash for are 100% flash only sites and games

Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:19 AM, jesse jaara <jesse.jaara@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/9/16 Linus Eklf <kazchjack@gmail.com>
>
>> What's kind of sad is that people support and use adobes flash.
>> Gnash might
>> not work that well, but at least you'll kind of show support for free
>> software.
>>
>> I would use gnash or lightspark, if they could be used together
>> whit adobes
> flash
> like having some white list for video sites or somesort of analyzer
> that
> will firtsh
> go trought the flash show binary to see if it is 100% supported by
> gnash/... and
> if it isint then use the adobes version. I think that at the moment
> what
> most users
> need flash for are 100% flash only sites and games

I have read that lightspark is getting pretty decent, although I have
not tried it myself in awhile. It supposedly can/will fall back to
gnash for sites that have issues.

I too am looking forward to an adobe free experience, one way or
another, as it's really the only blob left on my systems, and I'm
dissatisfied with their quality and attitude toward Linux solutions.

C Anthony [mobile]

Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Rafael Beraldo

On 16 September 2010 11:53, Linus Eklöf <kazchjack@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's kind of sad is that people support and use adobes flash. Gnash might
> not work that well, but at least you'll kind of show support for free
> software.

Yes, using proprietary software is kind of sad but neither Gnash or
Lightspark are really usable right now...Once in a while I test Lightspark
and I am excited with it. How knows if someday it will replace Adobe's
Flash?

Now, I don't need to justify myself to anyone, however, I totally support
free software both using and showing it off to people that are interested in
it; my post here was just aiming practical aspects of using a computer, if
you understand what I mean. What should one do when a college colleague
sends they a damn doc? Should they answer “hey send me in odt or txt or some
pure format!” -- or should they just use OpenOffice or Google Docs to open
it and not bother people with ideology? Open source isn't something that
tears apart good from bad people.

Anyway, software is becoming more and more open nowadays, that's what I
think, so these “ philosophical issues” are hopefully going to disappear.

I'm sorry if I went off-topic.

--
Rafael Beraldo
http://devio.us/~revberaldo/

Old 09-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Loui Chang

On Thu 16 Sep 2010 16:53 +0200, Linus Eklf wrote:
> What's kind of sad is that people support and use adobes flash. Gnash might
> not work that well, but at least you'll kind of show support for free
> software.

What's really sad is that so many sites rely on flash in the first place.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Christian Larsson

I know it doesn't adress the problem with flash, but are a side note. Most
of us only use flash in order to view flash videos, an most of the time we
also would like to download them. For this ytmp (
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40172) is a great substitute and
let you view the videos in your own movieplayer or download them.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Robert Howard

Sadly, I won't be able to ditch adobe until gnash or lightspark supports
flex fully. This day may never come.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Madhurya Kakati

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
<denisfalqueto@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Rafael Beraldo
> <rafaelluisberaldo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You may have seen this, however it is interesting to spread the word:
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/09/16/0340226/Adobe-Releases-New-64-bit-Flash-Plugin-For-Linux
>>
>> <http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/09/16/0340226/Adobe-Releases-New-64-bit-Flash-Plugin-For-Linux>I
>> hope this comes to the repositories soon…it is kind of sad, though, 'cause a
>> great deal of people (including me) might use [multilib] just because of
>> Flash.
>
> It is in AUR already. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32072.
> As it is only a prerelease, it shouldn't be in the repos, though.
>
> --
> A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
> Q: Why is top posting so bad?

> Denis A. Altoe Falqueto

So I guess its time to remove flashplugin I installed from multilib
and replace it with 'square'??

Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:14:03 +0530
schrieb Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805@gmail.com>:

> So I guess its time to remove flashplugin I installed from multilib
> and replace it with 'square'??

Like I've written on the arch-multilib mailing list I'd prefer to
having flashplugin in [multilib] renamed to lib32-flashplugin or
bin32-flashplugin and the new 64 bit version added to [extra] as
flashplugin at least if the new 64 bit version is stable and secure
enough.

Heiko