Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Caleb Cushing

Default Adobe Releases New 64-bit Flash Plugin For Linux

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Like I've written on the arch-multilib mailing list I'd prefer to
> having flashplugin in [multilib] renamed to lib32-flashplugin or
> bin32-flashplugin and the new 64 bit version added to [extra] as
> flashplugin at least if the new 64 bit version is stable and secure
> enough.

++ the general consensus was to leave 64-bit flash in... when adobe
cancelled it for a bit... I don't know why it ever got removed. I've
had problems recently with flash and I suspect it's due to running a
32-bit version.

--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.com

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Mauro Santos

On 09/19/2010 02:18 AM, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> ++ the general consensus was to leave 64-bit flash in... when adobe
> cancelled it for a bit... I don't know why it ever got removed. I've
> had problems recently with flash and I suspect it's due to running a
> 32-bit version.

The 64bit version of the plugin was removed because it had a (serious?)
security flaw and it was decided to provide the 32bit version which
contained a fix even though it can be a little problematic (some users
report more problems) and messy.

Regarding crashes, here I didn't notice any increase in problems after
the change ... it's still crappy flash with sub-par linux support.

I would like to see a 64bit version of flash on the repos but I can't
blame the devs/maintainers if they have some doubts about changing
things yet again, it seems adobe can't make up its mind about 64bit support.

--
Mauro Santos

Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Linas

Christian Larsson wrote:
> I know it doesn't adress the problem with flash, but are a side note. Most
> of us only use flash in order to view flash videos, an most of the time we
> also would like to download them. For this ytmp (
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40172) is a great substitute and
> let you view the videos in your own movieplayer or download them.

youtube is not such a big problem nowadays, since you can use the html5
beta and many players can play them diractly.
OTOH other sites using their own system (metacafe, some newspapers...) are
inaccessible.