Old 09-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Madhurya Kakati

Default Chromium crashes KDE 4.5.1

Hi,
I am using Chromium 6.0.x with KDE 4.5.1. Whenever any website
presents a dialog box asking for confirmation for something (for
example in gmail if i close the tab without logging out it presents a
dialog box asking for confirmation) and after i click on any button on
it the kde panel crashes. Also, i suspect plasma crashes too but
applications that are open including chromium do not crash. This
happened even in KDE 4.4.However it happens in KDE only and not in any
other DE. Please tell me why this happens and how to stop it from
happening.
Thanks.

P.S- Telling me to stop using KDE is not an appropriate answer :P

Old 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 13.09.2010 18:38, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using Chromium 6.0.x with KDE 4.5.1. Whenever any website
> presents a dialog box asking for confirmation for something (for
> example in gmail if i close the tab without logging out it presents a
> dialog box asking for confirmation) and after i click on any button on
> it the kde panel crashes. Also, i suspect plasma crashes too but
> applications that are open including chromium do not crash. This
> happened even in KDE 4.4.However it happens in KDE only and not in any
> other DE. Please tell me why this happens and how to stop it from
> happening.
> Thanks.
>
> P.S- Telling me to stop using KDE is not an appropriate answer :P

Using that exact setup and haven't seen this crash yet. Do you have any
error logs after starting the panel manually?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Adriano Moura

2010/9/13 Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com>

> On 13.09.2010 18:38, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am using Chromium 6.0.x with KDE 4.5.1. Whenever any website
> > presents a dialog box asking for confirmation for something (for
> > example in gmail if i close the tab without logging out it presents a
> > dialog box asking for confirmation) and after i click on any button on
> > it the kde panel crashes. Also, i suspect plasma crashes too but
> > applications that are open including chromium do not crash. This
> > happened even in KDE 4.4.However it happens in KDE only and not in any
> > other DE. Please tell me why this happens and how to stop it from
> > happening.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > P.S- Telling me to stop using KDE is not an appropriate answer :P
> >
> Using that exact setup and haven't seen this crash yet. Do you have any
> error logs after starting the panel manually?

Is qt-gtk-engine used as the widget theme for gtk apps?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 13.09.2010 19:34, Adriano Moura wrote:
> 2010/9/13 Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com>
>
>> On 13.09.2010 18:38, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am using Chromium 6.0.x with KDE 4.5.1. Whenever any website
>>> presents a dialog box asking for confirmation for something (for
>>> example in gmail if i close the tab without logging out it presents a
>>> dialog box asking for confirmation) and after i click on any button on
>>> it the kde panel crashes. Also, i suspect plasma crashes too but
>>> applications that are open including chromium do not crash. This
>>> happened even in KDE 4.4.However it happens in KDE only and not in any
>>> other DE. Please tell me why this happens and how to stop it from
>>> happening.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> P.S- Telling me to stop using KDE is not an appropriate answer :P
>>>
>> Using that exact setup and haven't seen this crash yet. Do you have any
>> error logs after starting the panel manually?
>>

> Is qt-gtk-engine used as the widget theme for gtk apps?

Yep.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Adriano Moura

2010/9/13 Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com>

> On 13.09.2010 19:34, Adriano Moura wrote:

> >> Using that exact setup and haven't seen this crash yet. Do you have any
> >> error logs after starting the panel manually?
> >>

> > Is qt-gtk-engine used as the widget theme for gtk apps?
> >
> Yep.

This was actually inteded for the OP, but anyway, if it works for you, this
shouldn`t be the cause...

Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Madhurya Kakati

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Adriano Moura <adriano.lols@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/13 Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com>
>
>> *On 13.09.2010 18:38, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I am using Chromium 6.0.x with KDE 4.5.1. Whenever any website
>> > presents a dialog box asking for confirmation for something (for
>> > example in gmail if i close the tab without logging out it presents a
>> > dialog box asking for confirmation) and after i click on any button on
>> > it the kde panel crashes. Also, i suspect plasma crashes too but
>> > applications that are open including chromium do not crash. This
>> > happened even in KDE 4.4.However it happens in KDE only and not in any
>> > other DE. Please tell me why this happens and how to stop it from
>> > happening.
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > P.S- Telling me to stop using KDE is not an appropriate answer :P
>> >
>> Using that exact setup and haven't seen this crash yet. Do you have any
>> error logs after starting the panel manually?
>>

> Is qt-gtk-engine used as the widget theme for gtk apps?

Yes i am using the GTK engine. is it causing the problem?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Peter Lewis

On Tuesday 14 September 2010 at 02:17 Madhurya Kakati wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Adriano Moura <adriano.lols@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Using that exact setup and haven't seen this crash yet. Do you have any
> >> error logs after starting the panel manually?
> >
> > Is qt-gtk-engine used as the widget theme for gtk apps?
>
> Yes i am using the GTK engine. is it causing the problem?

Well it seems like that's not necessarily (the whole of) the problem, but I
have noticed qt-gtk-engine crashes some programs sometimes. A good bet is just
to try it again using some standard bundled theme first and see if the same
behaviour is reproduced.

Cheers,

Pete.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Madhurya Kakati

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Peter Lewis <pete@muddygoat.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 September 2010 at 02:17 Madhurya Kakati wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Adriano Moura <adriano.lols@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Is qt-gtk-engine used as the widget theme for gtk apps?
>>
>> Yes i am using the GTK engine. is it causing the problem?
>
> Well it seems like that's not necessarily (the whole of) the problem, but I
> have noticed qt-gtk-engine crashes some programs sometimes. A good bet is just
> to try it again using some standard bundled theme first and see if the same
> behaviour is reproduced.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete.

Without a gtk engine the gtk apps look ugly in KDE.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Peter Lewis

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 at 10:08 Madhurya Kakati wrote:

> >> Yes i am using the GTK engine. is it causing the problem?
> >
> > Well it seems like that's not necessarily (the whole of) the problem, but
> > I have noticed qt-gtk-engine crashes some programs sometimes. A good bet
> > is just to try it again using some standard bundled theme first and see
> > if the same behaviour is reproduced.
>
> Without a gtk engine the gtk apps look ugly in KDE.

Well yes that can be true, unless you can find similar themes. A good
alternative it qtcurve, which has packages for GTK and KDE, which then makes
them look the same. It's also very configurable.

But, see my other message :-(

Pete.