Old 09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Ananda Samaddar

Default nfs4: access denied by server while mounting....

I'm tearing my hair out over this one. I'm trying to export some
directories using nfs. I've read the Arch Wiki and even been on the
IRC channel but I can't fix this bloody problem. I have a desktop and
a laptop both running Arch. The desktop is the server and the laptop
the client. I'm using MAC-DHCP address reservation so the desktop has
a static ip of 192.168.1.3 and the laptop 192.168.1.4. Here are the
relevant configs:

SERVER

/etc/exports:

/home/ananda/ 192.168.1.4(ro,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,async,nohid e)
/home/ananda/Music 192.168.1.4(ro,no_subtree_check,async,nohide)

/etc/hosts.allow:

nfsd: 192.168.1.4
rpcbind: 192.168.1.4
mountd: 192.168.1.4

I then start, rpcbind, nfs-common and nfs-server in order on the sever.

CLIENT

/etc/hosts.allow:

rpcbind: 192.168.1.3

I then start rpcbind and nfs-common in that order on the client.

There are no firewalls or iptables rules on the desktop and laptop as
I'm behind a NAT and I'm lazy. The domain names in /etc/idmapd.conf
are identical on both client and server too.

When I try the command:

mount -t nfs4 192.168.1.3:/home/ananda /mnt/shares

I get the error message:

mount.nfs4: access denied by server while mounting
192.168.1.3:/home/ananda

The error is the same if I try nfs as the type. I've also run
showmount on the client and the server at 192.168.1.3 shows the correct
exports.

I have no idea what's wrong. I've check and double checked
everything. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,

Ananda

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Alexander Duscheleit

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:50:06 +0100
Ananda Samaddar <ananda@samaddar.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
> SERVER
>
> [...]
>
> /etc/hosts.allow:
>
> nfsd: 192.168.1.4
> rpcbind: 192.168.1.4
> mountd: 192.168.1.4

I think I remember having that same problem once, but I'm not sure,
which "allow" line actually fixed it back then.

This is what my hosts.allow looks like on a local nfs-server:

# NFS
lockd: 192.168.0.0/16
mountd: 192.168.0.0/16
rquotad: 192.168.0.0/16
statd: 192.168.0.0/16

Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Dave Reisner

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 02:50:06PM +0100, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> I'm tearing my hair out over this one. I'm trying to export some
> directories using nfs. I've read the Arch Wiki and even been on the
> IRC channel but I can't fix this bloody problem. I have a desktop and
> a laptop both running Arch. The desktop is the server and the laptop
> the client. I'm using MAC-DHCP address reservation so the desktop has
> a static ip of 192.168.1.3 and the laptop 192.168.1.4. Here are the
> relevant configs:
>
> SERVER
>
> /etc/exports:
>
> /home/ananda/ 192.168.1.4(ro,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,async,nohid e)
> /home/ananda/Music 192.168.1.4(ro,no_subtree_check,async,nohide)
>
> /etc/hosts.allow:
>
> nfsd: 192.168.1.4
> rpcbind: 192.168.1.4
> mountd: 192.168.1.4
>
> I then start, rpcbind, nfs-common and nfs-server in order on the sever.
>
> CLIENT
>
> /etc/hosts.allow:
>
> rpcbind: 192.168.1.3
>
> I then start rpcbind and nfs-common in that order on the client.
>
> There are no firewalls or iptables rules on the desktop and laptop as
> I'm behind a NAT and I'm lazy. The domain names in /etc/idmapd.conf
> are identical on both client and server too.
>
> When I try the command:
>
> mount -t nfs4 192.168.1.3:/home/ananda /mnt/shares
>
> I get the error message:
>
> mount.nfs4: access denied by server while mounting
> 192.168.1.3:/home/ananda
>
> The error is the same if I try nfs as the type. I've also run
> showmount on the client and the server at 192.168.1.3 shows the correct
> exports.
>
> I have no idea what's wrong. I've check and double checked
> everything. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
> Ananda

You declared /home/ananda as fsid=0, so just mount 192.168.1.3: without
specifying a path.